Thread: What happened to the Z8 production staff?

Sport Button On - DSC Off

What happened to the Z8 production staff?

Andrew, at one time someone, perhaps it was you I'm not sure, posted that the production staff building the Z8 were scheduled to move on to the production of a new exotic luxury car in 2003, also with all-aluminum construction. What car was that?

It wasn't me, though I did meet some of the original project managers when in Munich at the Club's inaugural event - pix & link. I had heard that our project manager was working on the bomb and bullet proof 7 series for the diplomatic corps, but that was a while back. What was nice was to realize that everyone who worked on the Z8 viewed it as the pinnacle project of their long careers at BMW, our cars were built with enormous pride.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

The People

Along the lines of this thread, is there someway that we could "memorialize" the people who built our cars, thereby further solidifying the history of the Z8. As you have so aptly helped document, the site has lists of various facets of the car - such as specifications, accessories, movies, service facilities and get-togethers. Why not have a list of the people organization that designed and built our cars? (I am not sure if we could so far as to build an interactive organizational chart on a site like this.)

Each person could have a little description of what they did ("I was responsible for installing the left tail light assembly ;-) and maybe what they are doing now. Ideally, over time, the actual people could enter into the site and share their experiences and then recommend to their old colleagues to come on board. Who knows, it might be a way for old friends to reconnect.

I don't know if it would gain any traction, but we'll never know unless we try. My guess is that it would take a long time, but for that reason, better to start it early rather than later.

Just a thought. I know that I would like to "hear" what it was like to build this car.

It is all in the book, so I say go for it. If you create it we can put it up here in the history section, and make is as interactive as the info we can get will allow us.
    Andrew Macpherson

My book just came in the last two weeks, so I have not had a chance to read it yet. That's great that the information is there. I'll look and see what advantage could be developed with the interactivity of the Net.

My understanding is that the Z8 and it's production line was a test bed for the upcominng RR with aluminum construction technology. If that were the case, would the same people be working the RR line? I'm not even sure where the RR is assembled now.
    Last edited by Norcal; June 23rd 2007 at 01:45.

The RR is assembled in Sussex, near the famous Goodwood estate and race track. I would guess that much of the structural and mechanical fabrication is done in Germany, then shipped to the UK for final assembly
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    The RR is assembled in Sussex, near the famous Goodwood estate and race track. I would guess that much of the structural and mechanical fabrication is done in Germany, then shipped to the UK for final assembly
    The RR aluminum spaceframe and body are manufactured in Dingolfing, Germany. This is BMW' s biggest plant (20'000 W.). Two weeks ago I had the chance to visit the production, where 5, 6, and 7series are assembled. The RR body is manufactured there as well.

Not surprising: the Z8 body was made there also. The tourguide proudly presented this monument:

You know looking at that makes me wonder how hard/expensive it would be to get the last few panels done in aluminum too, them the finished car could be polished up to look like this - one of my all time favorites!

Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    You know looking at that makes me wonder how hard/expensive it would be to get the last few panels done in aluminum too, them the finished car could be polished up to look like this - one of my all time favorites!
    Aha! It always comes back to the polish! If you remember, that was my suggestion when you were considering painting the beater. I have no doubt that someone could fabricate the plastic bits from aluminum, but man, what an effort.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On
    A polished Z8? I'd love to see that... however what would happen to the interior? Get that one polished as well (ok, we need more aluminium parts)?
    Andrew, do you have more picutres of that, I guess, cobra?
    regards Klaus

Klaus, it was a Cobra, it was part of a story for Esquire magazine on Carroll Shelby some years back. I do have more pix of that car somewhere in a box in the basement , but the chance of me finding and scanning is less than zero!
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    thanks anyway, it definitely looks awesome!