Thread: Sport Button Reversal

Z8 Novice

Sport Button Reversal

Has anyone done any research on changing the Sport Button to be always on when starting the car? Could it be as easy as swaping the wiring or is there more required. Anyone else interested? Anyone know of any reason not to attempt this?

Sport Button On
    first, i don't have any specific knowledge about the sport button's wiring. however i think it is sort of a trigger button that just closes when pushed. probably wired up to some ecu. if it locked in when pushed it should stay on after restarting the car. just my thoughts....
    regards Klaus

The sport button triggers a "switch" / circuit within...

the ECU which controls the throttle body openings and hence, opens them more, improving throttle body response and engine acceleration.

I have the Dinan Stage 1 software and have noticed that there is "less change" with this button depressed since getting Dinan software installed. The software is only $495 and only takes less than 30 minutes to do and is simply plug in plug out. In addition to the improved throttle body response, it raises the redline to 7300 rpm and removes the top speed limiter. The idle is also increased as a part of this too. You may want to consider this alternative rather than rigging up some way to permanently turn the button on.

For the guys in Europe, most of the BMW tuners have something similar.
    Last edited by Z8doc; April 1st 2007 at 18:05.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

I too think this would be an ECU change, not a change in the physical connection.

Whoever figures this one out, work on my previously posted idea to have the side-gill markers illuminate full-time while at night.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    I too think this would be an ECU change, not a change in the physical connection.

Whoever figures this one out, work on my previously posted idea to have the side-gill markers illuminate full-time while at night.

Should look cool... But illegal over here in The Netherlands (on non US cars)...

Sport Button On - DSC Off

why didn't you guys tell me that button would give me whiplash?

man, I push that button and take off! I was smiling but startled for sure! Max

Yes, it's always the first thing I do after engine start... always. Helps me shift smoother (timing)

Z8Mania
    I agree but I find if I get stuck in thick traffic that its easier to putt along in 1st or 2nd in normal non sport mode. Otherwise Im in the sport mode.

Why does it shift smoother? I noted that too...

How does the sport mode help the shifting points, max

It just adjusts the throttle mapping to a more responsive curve. So, you can adjust RPMs faster.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Right. If you're used to one or the other, then making a change will affect your shifting until you adjust. I'm not sure it really affects my shift points but it does affect the ability to execute a smooth shift.

It shouldn't affect your shift points at all, just that smaller movements in the accelerator pedal translate into bigger applications of throttle by the computer.

The power output and gearing are unchanged.

The button's function (as it is on most cars) is primarily there for gas guzzler testing, but Jerry's use is a good one. There are cases when detuning can be helpful, but I'd just say avoid the traffic.
    thegunguy

Dinan software upgrade then?

will this affect the sport button function? I hear it will remove some limitations and increase throttle response so is it a waste of money if the sport button does about the same thing? dog

No, not the same deal... but don't bother yet.

Unless you have a fairly calibrated right foot, the Dinan software really doesn't have much purpose on an unmodified car. Certainly, it's necessary for the full Dinan treatment, but it's also a nicety for those who have made the switch to the 3.64 gears in raising the rev limiter.
    thegunguy

actually depends on the Dinan upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc97 View Post
    will this affect the sport button function? I hear it will remove some limitations and increase throttle response so is it a waste of money if the sport button does about the same thing? dog
    Stage One software will remove the top speed limiter, increases redline to 7200rpm and increases Throttle Body response. When I installed this, I noticed less "kick" when the sport button was on -- kind of like having 3/4 sport button and then when it was pushed, I got the rest. For about $500, was worth it to me.

The remaining Stage 2 - 6 software upgrades only accompany hardware upgrades such as if you progressed to cool air intakes, different camshafts, bigger throtte bodies, etc, which would require different computer tuning to take full advantage of the upgrades.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Z8 doc I was looking at the stage one.

No hard mods for me, just the $399 DINAN as it was shown locally here and it does what you have described; my brother has it and likes it so for the money plus install/program time I thought it would be worth it too; BUT I am not interested in all the gears,intake etc mods. I have never gone to that length on any car I bought; just air intake,K&N, bolt on and of stufff as I say so easy to go back to stock if I ever sell a car. Dogdoc PS gunguy, what wheels are you running, sent a few PM;s, thanks!

Seems to me it is easy, and not too much $$,but you have bigger fish to fry. It's really not a priority... been 10 years so far for me, I may eventually get around to it (or not).

GunGuys wheels are from the V10M5... just call your dealer for them. Try a google image search for lots of pics.

The Dinan software is probably the lowest bang for your buck mods. It provides no change to the power delivery (read no additional hp or torque).

As has been mentioned, the software:
    1) Removes the top speed limiter
    If you're not at a track or closed course, exceeding the 155mph limiter isn't such a smart, nor common thing to do in the US.

2) Raises the rev limiter to 7,200 RPM
    Even with the 3.64 gears, the usefulness of this is debatable, as it mostly just helps in the 1, 2, 3 shift points if you're looking to maximize your acceleration times. At those RPMs the engine is making comparatively little power. So, unless you're planning on clocking the quarter mile, it's hardly a benefit, and even if you are, how often will these 300 additional RPMs come in to play? Hardly ever.

3) Remaps the Non-Sport throttle sensitivity to be more aggressive.
    In stock configuration the standard setting is say 70% throttle (purely for comparison), and sport is 100%. The Dinan settings move the standard setting to say 85%, and sport stays at 100%.

4) Idle RPM is lower
    Not sure why.

So, we're talking VERY fine "improvements" here. There's no "seat of your pants" benefit if you're going to drive in Sport anyway and keep it under 155mph.

If you just have cash burning in your pocket, there are better places to spend it.

Yes, I received your multiple PMs in the same day. I'll be sending a response shortly, but in the future, please practice patience in waiting for a response.
    thegunguy

Thank you Norcal for the wheel style.

I do appreciate it...Max

regarding the K&N.....

Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc97;28894.....
    air intake,K&N,.......
    be careful with the K&N, others have tried these on the Z8 and had problems with the Oil in the filter messing with the Mass Air sensors. Generally, recommended to avoid the K&Ns on the Z8.

Regarding wheels ... thegunguy and tell you specifically more about those but those are 19" wheels from the e60 M5 , the M Spoke 166. Come in 8.5x19 ET:12 Front and 9.5x19 ET:28 Rear. Not sure if spacers are required to fit the Z8. Again, Rifle is the best to fill in the gaps on those but they look fantaztic on his Black/Red and on the Topaz Blue. Never seen them on any other color combos.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

No K&N here!

Just mentioned those were the type of "bolt on" applications I have used in the past,for example on Corvettes! Thnx for the warning,dog

Z8Mania
    I would stick with the stock air filters.

K&N really should be banned from existence for all cars. Unless you really know what you're doing reconditioning them, they're trouble, and there's the issue. They market to the masses with implied gains that are overstated. The unknowing install them and inevitably have sensor issues down the way.

I like the idea, but the execution leads to potential for issues.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Me too. A buddy who makes air filters for a living made some for the Z8- an oil based filter. He said the MAFs could get clogged. About 6k miles in 5 years later- they were clogged.