Thread: Carbon Fiber Parts

Sport Button On - DSC Off Robert Linton's Avatar

Carbon Fiber Parts

Attached is a picture of a carbon fiber fan for a Porsche. Are there any parts you think might be interesting to make in carbon fiber for the Z8?

That is a stunning piece, as we have come to expect from Cartridge.

The things I would like to get made up in CF are Z8 specific, so I'm not sure how much you'd be into doing them. The air filter boxes, the plenium/intake chamber and radiator surrounds would all look so much nicer in CF. The fan would be nice too, but it is so hidden away that you'd never know it was in there.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

All good ideas but I would like to do some Z8 specific parts that would also yield significant weight savings. Doing plastic parts in carbon could yield an absolute savings of 50+ percent, but it is 50% of parts that are not terribly heavy at the onset.
    Last edited by Robert Linton; February 25th 2007 at 14:07.

A really good place to loose weight is in the seats, are stock units are are 80lbs each, but other than those I'm not so sure there are any big parts/heavy that you can change that easily. I was really looking to change the parts above for vanity/show because the plastic looks a little too plasticy for my taste.

I think you should show the folks here a picture of that incredible rear frame you made for you 911 out of carbon, that is such an incredible piece of work.
    Andrew Macpherson

I wonder how the interior painted trims would look like in CF. But this kind of modification would only be for show purposes.
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

Andrew do you mean this?

Or did you mean this cast titanium front upright with carbon fiber A arm?

Last edited by Robert Linton; February 25th 2007 at 23:34.

That is simply stunning, thanks for sharing, I just love excellence!
    Andrew Macpherson

Beautiful

I am an engineering consultant and work in aerospace, specifically on space bourne vehicles. I see lots of exotic stuff, but these pieces are absolutely beautiful. I can only imagine what they might cost?? :-)))) If I were on a Bill Gates budget I would buy these in a heartbeat. Just gorgeous.fficeffice" />>>
    >>
    Thanks for sharing>>
    Hap>>

Z8 Novice
    very impressive. How did the pieces work? How much weight did yuo save?

Thanks
    CW

Pieces all work very well. Weight savings should be approximately 200 lbs.

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar
    Rather than Carbon fiber, I would love to see the top of the intake plenum made in a clear material so that the velocity stacks and throttles to each cylinder could be seen. I have had the cover off and what lies beneath is pure, functional beauty.

CF interior panels would detract from the period motif of the car. The contour of the dash panels mirror those of the 507. One of the beauties of the Z8 is how the references to era of the 507 have been integrated into the design - right down to the instrument lighting.

Sport Button On
    I agree with FWK-Z8 the top of the plenum in a clear material showing the stacks (by the way Racing Dynamics SPA makes an incredible set) would just be killer. Being a bit of an original purist I think that addition would be very period correct .
    Great idea and I would buy one.
    Robbie