Thread: Headlights

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Headlights

This is going to sound like a stupid question, I just know it, but here goes anyway...

When you look at the headlight pod from the front of the car you see two lenses inside it, an inner one and an outer one. When I turn on my low beams, the outer one comes on. So, the question is, what are the inner ones for? Mine don't seem to come on in any circumstance.

try the parking lights. That should activate the "inner one".

On your car, when these inner lamps are on, are they bright? Or dim?

They are definitely not actuated by the fog light switch. That switch only turns on the rear fog lamp.

They are dim. really a nice effect in conjunction with the neon lights.

Must admit I do not recall a foglight switch.

OK, I see the problem now. Mine are on, dim, but its hard to tell. You see, in Canada where I live the Z8 is wired to have daytime running lights (its the law up here), which forces the xenons to be on in both the O (off) switch position as well as the full ON switch position. In other words those dim lights are never on by themselves. The Xenons are right beside these other little dim lights, so on first glance it doesn't seem like the dim ones are even on. But on closer inspection, they are. They might as well be off though.

First the mandatory front license plate (wear it or else!), now this. Oh well.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by jdillane View Post
    They are dim. really a nice effect in conjunction with the neon lights.

Must admit I do not recall a foglight switch.
    That's because there is no front foglight (....) only rear.... ;-))

Sport Button On - DSC Off jpklecker's Avatar

Extra lights

The lights that come on with the parking lights were designed for European use, they are called "city lights". In many large cities, especially in Switzerland, it is improper to use headlights, only city lights when driving around at night. The reasoning is that there is enough light from street lights that you don't need regular headlights on.