Thread: Slightly upset at Peter Pan

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar

Slightly upset at Peter Pan

While everyone has been very nice, my Z8 is back at Peter Pan for the 3rd time as a result of the performance package install. The first visit was to instal the package. When I got the car back, it was undriveable because they hadn't checked that the headlight levelling mechanism was working. The headlights pointed down at about a 15 degree angle and the beam buried itself in the road 25 feet in front of the car. They were apologetic and gave me a 325 convertible to drive while they worked on my Z8. When I got it back, everything was fine, except that the right headlight unit wasn't flush with the hood of the car. Worse yet, every time I looked out the windshield, I saw the back edge of the light sticking up above the hood. I could put up with this (maybe) on a lesser vehicle, but things had better be put together properly on a $100K automobile! So back it went.

At least I got a 5-er from them as a loaner. It's a pleasant drive, except with in 525 form it is somewhat of a dog. The interior is comfortable if a bit industrial, and the best thing is you can't see the outside from the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by FWK-Z8 View Post
    ..., and the best thing is you can't see the outside from the inside.
    .......LOL
    thegunguy

My dealer said headlamp removal was uneecessary. Although alignment was checked, no changes occured either.

DSC Off

Smile

You need to remove the headlights. Otherwise you cannot drill the holes for the brace in the right place.The setting of the headlights will not change if you remove and replace the headlights.
    Greetings from the Netherlands
    Evert-Jan

Sorry but that is incorrect. With a right angle drill there is more than enough room when you remove the inner wheel well shield and do it from below.

Those right-angle drill bits are really cool, I confess to buying one for no other reason that it amazed me - the little things in life! :-)

Sorry that the thread started with slight discontent at PP, I have had such a great series of experiences with them, but we are all human, and mistakes happen. When they do we are defined by how we put right the errors we make, and Dana Caldwell at PP has done more to look after us Z8 owners than anyone else this side of the continental divide, so I would certainly talk to him directly. However, I doubt he can disuade either BMW or Bangle from meaning down the paths of uglines, but then again from small acorns grow giant oaks. ;-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar
    My primary concern out of this whole incdent was that the car was first returned to me with what were, in effect, non-functional headlights. Admittedly their response was very accomodating to me. I suspect the that root cause was the fact that mine was one of the first Z8s upon whch they installed the Performance Package. My opinion of them remains high enough that I have ordered an M6 through them.

Bangle's talents are maturing, The latest Z4 is significantly cleaned up. Like the M6, most of the lines are now pointing in the same direction and the whole appearance has been lightened by pulling in the bottom corners slightly.

The M6 is not classically beautiful in the sense of the Z8 (however, like its predecessor, the Z8 was meant to be distinctly different than the main line BMWs). It is masterful in how its styling perfectly reflects the character of the car.

Z8 Novice

M6!

I think the M6 is a great choice. I agree on the styling but the performance is a very good. We took several brands out on California Speedway a couple of months ago and with stability control off, the M6 was a blast. I got some fun drifting lessons (and spin out lessons) while driving it. It was superior in performance for stock or just well suited to my lack of skill. Enjoy FWK-Z8....

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    do enjoy!

Bangle's designs have scared me away from BMW to Audi.
    Only BMW left is my Z8.

Also BMW does not produce their 5 or 7 series with 4 wheel drive. (at least not with a decent engine in them) This together with the still not very elegant styling made me loose my apetite for BMW.

Cheers
    Z8-NL

I am actually amazed the Bangle's designs have not hurt sales. Even the Japanese cars that mimick BMW have improved on the designs my toning down all the bizarre angle cuts and ridges. I could grow to like the 6 if the turn indicators were not above the headlights. Just can't deal with that.

Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    I am actually amazed the Bangle's designs have not hurt sales. Even the Japanese cars that mimick BMW have improved on the designs my toning down all the bizarre angle cuts and ridges. I could grow to like the 6 if the turn indicators were not above the headlights. Just can't deal with that.

It is like Jeremy Clarkson (TopGear, BBC) says: You can put a BMW sticker on a dead cat and it still sells......
    Meaning; BMW makes such good cars; they can do quite something wrong before sales are going down. IMHO BMW should be very aware; Audi (BMW underdog for a long time) has come closer and closer......

I think that the decline in sales of the Z4 over the Z3 is going to finally make the penny drop. The ugly little pug is selling at only 50% of the units that the Z3 sold this deep into the model cycle. Nothing speaks louder than numbers, and now I think that BMW will start to understand that just like watching a beautiful girl walk down the street, when you see a beautiful car you know it, and you want it, and when you see a 'challenging looking' car you don't.

Beauty is the fire of desire, and desire is the celebration of beauty, but ugly just won't open your heart or your wallet. Shrek can get away with it because he has humor and he isn't in your garage, but BMW needs to remember that when they sell these cars they aren't giving away a free little Bangle with each one to whisper to each owner just why the Emperor's new clothes are so fine.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Reading the old threads on the PP kit install tonight.

I read where one owner said the headlights did NOt have to be removed to do the install; then another fellow chimed in and said yes they did...I do know mine WERE removed for my install, I was told this was necessasry to get the perfect fit visually from all angles. In any event the tech felt confident enough and that was his recommendation....so was it necessary or not?Just curious, Max

As I recall, yes, always.

I have the technical install procedure from BMW. It says remove the lights.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off Juergen Wunderlich's Avatar
    I had a PP installed a few weeks ago at my local BMW dealership here in Germany and it was NOT necessary to remove the headlights. You only need the ?right tool? for the job? I was standing right beside the mechanic during the whole procedure and there was not even a minor problem? I have to admit that the mechanic is very experienced with everything regarding the Z8 and he did about 30 PP installations so far... We are going to have a cooperation with BMW dealerships in Europe and the US and then it should not be a problem to find "experts" in working on the Z8.
    Best Regards,

Jürgen

Thanks for the update J?rgen. Do you think it will be possible to have the install procedure updated by BMW, or will the Club provide documentation of the new procedure?
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off Juergen Wunderlich's Avatar
    I doubt that there will be an update of the install procedure by BMW AG because the procedure depends on the technical equipment of the dealerships. Anyhow, I will attempt to make a documentation with pictures of the tools on my own during the next PP installation based on the BMW release.
    Best Regards,

Jürgen

No headlight removal over here in the Netherlands too.

Z8Mania
    Thank you J?ergen. Thats great information.