Thread: dashboard noise?

Z8 Novice

Dashboard Noise?

I have a 2002 car, 12,000 miles with a new problem, and I wonder if any other owners have it as well. When I drive the car over any road type, curves or straight, there is a loud creaky noise which seems to originate near the windshield/dash interface on the driver side. It is quite loud, especially with the hard-top on. I can't locate it exactly, but would really like to get rid of it! Maybe a new windshield gasket? Any suggestions? Thanks, GMG53

It maybe some rubbing of the dash mounting points, which is plastic and prone to being creaky if not put in just right. I had it on two of my cars, and had to remove, seal, pad repace the whole dash assembly to silence it.

If you push on different spots along and under the dash and it stops then that's it, but if it's the screen I'm not sure how to indentify it, but I haven't heard of a screen squeaking.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I had a similar problem before. An unusual cracking noise was coming from the left side of the car may be from inside the car or outside. Dashboard or rocker panels. I don`t know. This weird noise was coming when ever the car had to bend because of the road conditions. But after the installation of the performance package all those noises disappeared. I think this was because of the car being more stiff.
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

Z8 Novice
    Thanks for your replys. I noticed a plastic part,a moulding of sorts, which surrounds the windshield on the inside of the engine compartment. When I press on or move this piece of plastic the same type of noise I hear inside the car occurs. I wonder if a spacer of some sort, rubber maybe, will lift this plastic up off of the glass and the sound will disappear. This would be easy, I hope I will not need to repeat Andrews solution. BMW will be installing the PP soon, maybe this creaking will vanish as it did with Zed8. Thanks again. GMG53