Thread: Only a Partial Performance Package for Dinan S1 and S2 cars

Question Only a Partial Performance Package for Dinan S1 and S2 cars

I spoke with Luiz at Dinan Engineering. The results of their evaluation of the Performance package are as follows:

1] New plates for top and bottom of shock towers have COMPLETE COMPATIBILITY with the Dinan Caster plates (as stated by thegunguy).

2] The Strut brace is COMPLETELY INCOMPATIBLE with the Dinan Cold Air Inflow Carbon fiber Air boxes and intake. The Strut brace apparently sits to low and the Dinan Airflow intake housing is larger than the OEM ones and therefore, the strut brace can not be placed in the correct position as it (the strut brace) in the way of proper positioning of the Dinan Cold air intakes. To install the Strut brace, the Dinan air boxes have to be removed and the OEM ones have to be put back in place.

He was NOT willing to confirm one way or the other whether they were going to make a modification to their airboxes or whether they would make their own strut brace.

I am not sure that is indeed a problem for the Dinan fully modified cars with the S1 and S2 packages. Certainly, most of us agree that the Dinan Caster plates are somewhat protective, however if you did not have the additional strut brace BUT you did have a modified S3 suspension and the lighter Dinan wheels and non-runflat tires associated with those packages, is the absence of the strut brace really a problem or not? Are you really at significantly greater risk of deformation or not? comments welcome here!
    Last edited by Z8doc; November 16th 2006 at 01:30. Reason: spelling
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

The car done before mine had the Dinan S2 engine mods...

Below is a photo that was taken by the service center. I don't know the guy, or I'd contact him to ask him if he's had any issues. I might try the service center.

thegunguy

looks like the strut bar compresses the intake hoses of

the cold air intake more than on our OEM ones and therefore rubs alot more. That is what Luiz described and did not recommend that. IF it does compress the air intakes, then it might disrupt air flow and could negate some of the added performance boost from the modification?
    Best Regards,

Jeff

I would believe a slight compression of the up-sized intake hose would still be better than the stock hose. Also, I noticed that there is quite a bit of tolerance as to how the hose is attached to the intake box.

If the range of mounting the strut is over a centimeter, Personally I will mount it just above the Dinan hoses and place a little insulation tape on the underside of the strut to prevent rubbing throught the finish.

I guess where I am coming from....I want the most protection I can get, even if there is a cost.

DSC Off
    I have the S2 engine mods and just had the strut brace/PP installed by my dealer. The intake hoses are not deformed by the strut brace, but the fit is indeed tight. The tech placed a thin foam rubber piece between the strut brace and each intake hose to prevent rubbing/chaffing of the hoses. The hood shuts but not as easily as before the strut brace was installed. Sometimes I have to push the hood down to get it to latch shut, so the strut brace is pushing a little on the insulation on the under side of the hood. The S2 hoses will work with the strut brace, but the tech has to be very careful when fitting the strut brace to find the right compromise between not deforming the intake hoses but still allowing the hood to shut without too much hassle or cutting/modification of the hood insulation. It CAN BE DONE, but they better know what they are doing and you should not be the first to have the tech learn on your car, and he needs to know you have the S2 setup and the tolerances are even tighter than normal..

Mine is in!

My hood shuts as easily as before. There is light contact with intake hose and I can live with that. Note how they placed the top plates. They turned the ring so the the wider ections were towards the back. It does cover up the serial # but I assume the forces are directed posteriorly so having the most meat back there would be better.

Wonder why they did not cover the entire shock tower top with a larger diameter ring??

If they cover the serial number, the rings are installed incorrectly. The rings are done at a variable radius so that the serial number can still be read.

Looking at your photos, the smaller portion of the rings should inward, not on the front.

I like the matching paint on the rings!
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    If they cover the serial number, the rings are installed incorrectly. The rings are done at a variable radius so that the serial number can still be read.

Looking at your photos, the smaller portion of the rings should inward, not on the front.

I like the matching paint on the rings!
    I agree, the installation seems to be incorrectly, and the red color looks great. In Europe the serial number must be readable by law.

@ 2112
    There should be no contact with the intake tubes, as you might know the running engine is moving significantly.

Yes but in my original post and conversations with

Quote Originally Posted by bummsbass View Post
    @ 2112
    There should be no contact with the intake tubes, as you might know the running engine is moving significantly.
    Dinan, that was the problem they encountered with the brace -- that it would contact or prevent installation due to the larger intake hoses that the Dinan Air Flow Boxes require. It is a very tight fit with OEM set up with only a few mm of clearance then so I imagine the Dinan will rub to a degree. Putting some felt or rubber stripping (non-flamable) is a good idea to minimize any wear from the rubbing, IMHO.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Jeff - have you had any followup from Dinan on an alternative brace or revised intakes to accommodate the PP? Wheels and brakes are next on my list, but I'd like to have the remainder of the Dinan stuff in a year or two.
    thegunguy

No, I have not followed up with them regarding that....

and their website does not list one yet. I suspect that they are not going to make one, given the previous frame issues they had early on with their headers, just speculation on my part.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by bummsbass View Post
    I agree, the installation seems to be incorrectly, and the red color looks great. In Europe the serial number must be readable by law.

@ 2112
    I was thinking the exact same thing Bummsbass....... But how can they fix this ...?

I will try the cushion Doc suggested. Or possibly some rubber/vinyl dressing that makes the rubber slide freely on the under side of the brace. Contact is very light and possibly just repositioning the tube downward would give the 5mm clearance required.

I know my ring is not on right but for now I am going to leave it. Like I suggested, I like having the meat of the ring towards the rear. I may have a larger chrome moly plate cut for even more support. If I do, I will have a window for the serial # to show through.

Any updates on this. I have the S2 package and wanted to do the PP for peace of mind. How are the hoses holding up?

update: I installed the performance package a year ago and have the Dinan S2 package. Everything fits fine with no problems.