Thread: Dinan & BMW Performance Kit

Dinan & BMW Performance Kit

I talked to Dinan Performance about the kit today. The have reviewed the technical bulletin from BMW, and while they don't have a kit to test, they don't believe there will be an issue using the existing S3 suspension components with the BMW Kit. They believe the strut mounts (what I've been calling the "bottom plates") are the same as the original pieces but with longer studs to accommodate the additional thickness of the "top plates" which should help keep the strut-tower from mushrooming. So, the installation instructions for the caster plates should be the same.

I showed the guy the photos that I took of the kit yesterday. He said that he would review them with Steve, but at this time they believe that the S3 stuff is compatible with the kit.

He also suggested having the brace and top rings painted to match the car. I think this is the route that I will go.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar

The Fix and Dinan - Compatability

I emailed BMW Customer Relations on Friday regarding the Kit and my Dinan Stage 3 suspension. Bill Stuart emailed me back and is discussing with the Engineering Department what the best approach is. I will post when I hear back.

Dave P

I look forward to your update, but the more I look at the parts, my S3 install pics, and S3 install instructions, I feel better and better that we're fine...not to mention that the boys at Dinan appear to be confident in the compatibility.

If BMW gives us the "thumbs up" we should be good. My biggest fear is that I will probably know more about the application of the S3 plates than the installer!
    thegunguy

Dinan and Fix - Update

Here is Bill Stuart's reply.

"Good morning:

The suggestion from our engineers is that you speak with your authorized
    BMW center or the folks at Dinan to determine whether or not the
    performance package will provide any improvements over and above the
    existing Dinan Stage 3 suspension upgrade. Based on the response,
    should you need any part of the Performance Package, you would have to
    resolve this directly with your authorized BMW center as we are only
    selling a complete package and not individual parts. Please be advised
    that as of today, our authorized BMW centers can start ordering the
    Performance package.

I hope this helps.

Bill Stuart"

From what I can garner it sounds as though the Fix would augment the Dinan kit. Looks like the final word will be up to Steve.

One more thing - will this affect ride height ?

Dave P

Since the new strut-mounts (bottom plates) appear to be the same as the originals with only longer studs to accommodate the additional thickness of the top plates, I do not believe that the ride height will be changed by using the fix/S3 combo vs. the S3 alone. Similarly, the ride height should not be changed on unmodified vehicles either.

Bill's response does not surprise me - total hands off.

Again, Dinan is confident, according to my conversation yesterday, that the fix is compatible with their upgrades. However, it wouldn't hurt if some more of you put calls in to Dinan to see if you can get the same response.

Dave, thanks as always...we're getting close!
    thegunguy

Thumbs up I spoke with Dinan today...

they actually called me back in response to my inquiry / phone call that I made regarding compatibility right after it was released. The technical representative told me that Dinan has purchased a kit and and once they have it in hand they are going to investigate the kit for compatibiity and fitment with their caster plates. He said they would contact me as soon as they have word - he expected a couple weeks in order to get an answer as he said they have a Z8 there and they plan to try and install the kit on it and "work through" the problems as they arise.

Sounds like we are on the right track.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Great news. The guy I talked to yesterday also mentioned the Z8 that they working on currently. I assume that it's GreaseMonkeys.

Next week, I'm taking the bar and top plates to a shop that says they can powder coat to closely match the paint of the engine bay. I'm considering having them add the M color bars, as suggested by Jerry.
    thegunguy

Kit and Dinan Compatability

Hey Jeff. Hope you are well.

I called them too before I saw your post. They tell me the same - they have ordered the kit and expect to have it installed with a reply within 2 weeks.

Dave P

Z8 Novice

Installed

Just had the S3 kit and Performance Kit installed on my car. No issues. I had the dealer contact dinan directly to discuss any issues but never had the opportunity to speak with them personally.

Sorry - I reported back to the main thread but forgot this one too. Been running the kit and Dinan S3 for a week, including 100 miles on the track. All is well.
    thegunguy

Are you combining the caster plates and the "fix"?

Yep. Kit + the entire S3.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    Yep. Kit + the entire S3.
    Are they both worth 10mms of height? Castor plate and strut top?

Z8 Novice
    I don't know the dimensions but I had both kits installed at the same time (S3 and performance) and did include the dinan caster plate as well as all other dinan parts from the S3 kit.