Thread: The frame issue is now in the encyclopedia

Team Z8

The frame issue is now in the encyclopedia

Just for fun I Googled the Z8 and found the Wikipedia Encyclopedia's information on the car, it's production and unfortunately the ongoing question of the cars frame strength. Let's hope the frame issue doesn't become a permanent part of the cars definition.

Thumbs up As I said in another thread....

the 'Frame Issue', and BMW's quick response to correct it are now part of the car's history. I am confident that the 'fix' and the knowledge of BMW's quick support of the car will stand all in good stead going forward, so long as it works, and we all embrace it.

I think it would be a very good idea for all of us to show our support of BMW's response to the issue by having the fix fitted. I'm thinking of either having mine chromed or painted silver to match the car, as I think it is indeed a part to be proud of. It shows BMW AG's intent to support the car as they have always promised they would.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I'm thinking of either having mine chromed or painted silver to match the car
    I will have it painted black again. But the looks will be the same with the velocity stacks cover. It will look like plastic.
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

I'm thinking of either having mine chromed or painted silver to match the car, as I think it is indeed a part to be proud of. It shows BMW AG's intent to support the car as they have always promised they would.
    Consider "powder coating" with a silver metallic (light flake) and clear coat. It will look fantastic and last much longer than just plain paint.

I'll have mine powder coated in red (w/clear coat) to match the exterior/engine bay on my car.

Thumbs up Chrome plated for sure!

the 'Frame Issue', and BMW's quick response to correct it are now part of the car's history. I am confident that the 'fix' and the knowledge of BMW's quick support of the car will stand all in good stead going forward, so long as it works, and we all embrace it.

I think it would be a very good idea for all of us to show our support of BMW's response to the issue by having the fix fitted. I'm thinking of either having mine chromed or painted silver to match the car, as I think it is indeed a part to be proud of. It shows BMW AG's intent to support the car as they have always promised they would.
    I have been thinking about this one -- I originally thought of painting silver to match too but the chrome plating (at least the strut support) would be a nice accent and probably be less prone to chipping when the engine is worked on. The tower caps I will probably have painted silver to match the car.

Just concerned about the riveting process and engine accessibility should something like the fan or front pulleys need to be worked on and whether or not the cross brace will need to be removed at a future point to allow that access.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

There seems to be some confusion about the rivets. The strut brace is NOT riveted. First, the nut will be riveted, then the strut will be attached using torx screws.

Somebody posted this link in the German forum, which shows how the riveting works.
    Best regards, Dieter

My understanding of the rivets......

see Dieter's post above for the rivets, and here is BMW's parts diagram of the kit too.

My concern is that it looks like all the force of a hard bottoming out would be transfered to the three bolts on each shock tower support arm, and the brace could become a giant scissor blade sheering the screws and/or tearing and popping the rivets out of the front shock tower support arm. I would have liked to have seen the brace attach to the top of the front shock tower support arm as well, but I am sure that changing out the runflats and adding these parts will be enough to ensure the frame remains straight in 99% of all the possible bad road conditions we are ever likely to encounter.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Macfly, I understand your concern but...

that would not happen very easily and in my mind would require more force than even your typical bottoming out. The purpose of a strut brace is to more evenly distribute forces across a large area side to side and minimize frame flexing and twisting. The more rigid frame will resist bending, which is what we want but has somewhat of a trade off for sure. The rubber parts on the shock towers may help to dampen the stresses to the bolts.

At this point, I am going to trust that the BMW engineers have thought this through and that this should be good enough for what we need.

Interesting rivet but I like the ease of removing the strut brace with this kind of rivet -- Thanks Dieter for the post and explanation.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102