Thread: Location of "gap narrowing"?

DSC Off

Location of "gap narrowing"?

For those of us with gap narrowing between the hood and qtr panels, I would like to know where along the gap you are seeing the effect. When I run a quarter down the gap from the windshield to the headlight, it runs all the way thru on the pass side of the car but the qtr gets stopped by a narrowing of the gap about 8 inches from the headlight on the driver's side. A dime still fits thru to the headlight just fine, but not the quarter. My shock towers show no discernible doming/distortion. I would think that gap narrowing from shock tower deformation should be concentrated around the area of the shock towers. Perhaps the narrowing I see is just from normal build tolerances (wishful thinking I know), and wanted to check what others have found. Thanks.

uniform narrowing

My opinion is that if you have uniform narrowing of the gap, you are probably OK. Mine narrows slightly, but uniformly, from windshield to grill. I have no basis for this opinion other than some familiarity with manufacturing processes, so take it for what it is worth. One day soon, I hope, we'll be able to use our cars as "ulitmate driving machines" and not rolling aluminum strudel.

DSC Off
    I agree that a slight and uniform gap narrowing is normal for the car from windshield to headlight. My problem is that the narrowing is not uniform between the pass and driver sides of the car. The driver side narrows noticeably more, but not until you get within a foot of the headlight. I don't see any narrowing around the shock tower areas.

The gap isn't the issue....

it is only a symptom. Again and again I read about people fixating on the gaps, they aren't the issue, it is the shock tower domes, the arms that hold them and the upper front frame rails that are the issue. Even if your car is perfect your gaps could be off, so please, focus on the issue, not on the symptom.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    I understand that the gaps are only a sympton of the underlying disease, but since my towers look fine, it is the only symptom that I can find. My purpose with the question on the location of the gaps is this: for owners who have shock tower doming (or people like yourself who have seen several cars with the tower doming), where do they notice associated gap narrowing? If the gap narrowing is concentrated around the tower areas, then this is a good indication that my car has no damage, since the gap narrowing on my car is only down by the headlight, not by the shock towers. This would be a confirmatory piece of evidence that gap narrowing (particularly if not focused on the shock tower area) can be a normal variation of the build process, and thus NOT something to be "fixated" about.

There may be a slight narrowing....

by the headlamp even if nothing is wrong, but if the tower(s) sustained a significant bottoming out as can happen with a pot hole, bridge join, railroad crossing or cattle grid, and are badly domed then the tower arms and the top frame rail can also be distorted. This is what causes the very severe narrowing illustrated here.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    found the answer to my question
    Last edited by Rjay; June 5th 2006 at 19:02. Reason: found the answer to my question