Thread: MCS dampers

MCS dampers

For those of you interested in suspension options besides OEM, Alpina (very hard to find) and KW coilovers I am looking into whether Motion Control Suspensionís e39 M5 kit can be fitted to the Z8. MCS was started by the guys who founded Moton and their damper technology is considered one of the best. Specifically I will be looking for a spirited street set up. With todayís suspension technology handling and comfort donít need to be mutually exclusive.

Will post you guys on what I find out. It helps that MCS is 20 miles from my house 😊.
    Brownie
    Silver / black AH61422

That does sound good, the Alpina set up is so far superior to the stock Z8, it has far more compliance and suppleness, and you never that that harsh skip and judder on the back roads that are so fun in the Z8.However Alpina sprung and damped worked a treat with heavier sway bars, in the hands of our pro-racer test driver it was absolutely the way to go.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

The Alpina set up sounds like a great option but the parts are no longer available as best as I can tell. I have to eventually replace my right front strut, it is beginning to leak, which is why I am looking at a possible better option than our 20 yr old Sachs struts. Does anyone know the spring rate of our OEM springs? Canít seem to find it anywhere. The H&R springs apparently use the same spring rate as OEM but are just shorter.
    Brownie
    Silver / black AH61422

I would be interested in an MCS option. I have MCS in some of the other cars, they typically produce excellent product.

Thank you.

Team Z8

I'd also be interested...

Quote Originally Posted by GaZ8fan View Post
    The Alpina set up sounds like a great option but the parts are no longer available as best as I can tell. I have to eventually replace my right front strut, it is beginning to leak, which is why I am looking at a possible better option than our 20 yr old Sachs struts. Does anyone know the spring rate of our OEM springs? Canít seem to find it anywhere. The H&R springs apparently use the same spring rate as OEM but are just shorter.
    I've got some front suspension work due in the near future many of us will with these twenty+ year old cars.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    at the time back in 2002 I had the special Z8 SCHNITZER suspension set fitted. Is still on the car and works perfectly!

After talking to people much smarter than me I am optimistic that it can be done. The mounting points of the e39 and e52 (front strut top, front spindle clamp, rear strut top and rear spindle bolt) are very similar. Front pinch bolt is the exact same part. Rear shock bolt is slightly longer in the e39 but same width and thread pitch.

Our cars are 400-500 lbs lighter than the M5 and presumably have a different spring rate so the strut will presumably need to be set up with different specs than the ones in the M5 kit. Since these struts are customizable for each personís use case I am confident that MCS can set it up properly. It will be nice to have options since even the many low mile cars are going to eventually have to replace suspension parts. Age is just as much of an enemy as mileage and as pointed out these cars are 20 yrs old.

More to come.
    Brownie
    Silver / black AH61422

Ok I took it to Euro Speedwagon (you gotta love that name), a highly respected BMW shop north of Atlanta. Tyler put it on a lift and confirmed what Iíve been told by others. It should work with little difficulty and I will be able to change it back to stock without any problem if needed. The plan is to install two way MCS dampers (both compression and rebound are adjustable), linear springs and replace / upgrade the various suspension items like control arms and ball joints. The spring rate will optimized based upon how I will use the car - weekend cruiser that will spend a lot of time in the N Ga / NC mountains. The great thing about the MCS technology is that the dampers can compensate for stiffer spring set ups if so desired. Great kit.Shout out to Tyler at Euro Speedwagon and Trever at MCS. If you are interested in upgrading the Z8 suspension to modern standards of handling and comfort give them a shout. It will probably be a month or so to get all the parts in so the ďon roadĒ review will have to wait awhile.
    Brownie
    Silver / black AH61422

Z8 Novice
    Mark can you email me please as I can't seem to send private messages. Thanks!

[email protected]

Imran, email sent.
    Brownie
    Silver / black AH61422

Update - last week Tyler at Euro Speedwagon took the front and rear suspension assemblies from one side over to MCS so that they could take detailed measurements. Turns out that there will be some customization needed, the M5 kit is not as plug and play as we would like. The biggest issue are the rear struts - they are shorter than M5 struts. We are also going to have to invert the struts since there is not enough clearance to reach the rebound adjustment knob at the top. MCS will get back to us soon on their plan. Worst case I will have it Jan-Feb if they need to do some custom welding / fabrication of the dampers and spindle. They are very meticulous and only use a company in the Netherlands for this work. Still deciding on appropriate spring rates, will be relatively soft since it is a street car and not a track car. Should end up significantly better than stock in terms of handling and comfort. The good news is that MCS will have all the data they need to build you guys a set if interested.
    Brownie
    Silver / black AH61422