Thread: Replacement CD changer suggestions

Z8Mania

Replacement CD changer suggestions

My CD Changer is no longer working and as I think I will have to buy a replacement I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for its replacement. For example, I thought I saw that there was an Alpine CD changer that is the same physical size and also is compatible with the Z8 connectors but the Alpine unit would read MP3 CDs. My goal is to spend as little as possible and maintain OEM appearance.

Another idea...

Jerry,

I know your an Apple user. So, I'll assume you have an iPod. Have you considered the IceLink from Dension? It replaces your CD changer with an interface for the iPod. I love mine...all my CDs in one spot.
    thegunguy

New ipod integraion product in its way -

Denison will be carrying a new product in a few weeks that will integrate the ipod in a "better" way to the Z8. According to Denison, the new Dice product will have full display functionality with the Z8 radio. I am on the waiting list with them and will report back in a few weeks when I have received the unit.

http://www.densionusa.com/dice_prod_info.php
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Their website doesn't list the Z8

on the 'order' page. I tried to order the unit, and found no scroll down menu for the Z8, and no information on how to speak to someone about it.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I called Denison two days ago at 1-562-595-5153 and talked to Lisa. According to her it would work with the Z8, but who knows for sure until it has been phyically hooked up. Here is the link to Dice Electronics:

http://www.diceelectronics.com/

DICE ELECTRONICS
    P.O Box 4470
    Lake Tahoe, NV 89449

PHONE- 1-888-DICE-999
    EMAIL- [email protected]

I will contact them as well to see what what they have to say.
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Hmmm...

While I'm pleased to hear the possibility of a better unit than the IceLink, I am skeptical that it will be any different for the Z8. While I have enjoyed the IceLink, I have found Dension the company to have poor customer service. I had some issues with my initial order, and I received a different story from each person that I contacted at Dension. So, I would not be surprised if you could get someone to say that the Dice unit would work with the Z8 out of ignorance when in reality it is not supported.

The IceLink will do text display on all BMW radios (prior to iDrive) except for the unique unit in the Z8. To my understanding, this was because Dension did not have access to a Z8 radio for testing and development. Unless this has changed, I cannot imagine the new unit would improve on this issue. From reading the site, it looks like the Dice unit is Dension's answer to the iDrive radios.

To me, text display on the Z8 radio is not very important. The screen is so small and out of the line of sight that it would add little value. However, they could improve the ability to access the full song database. Currently, it works best (ease of use) for accessing the first five playlists with the 1 ? 5 numeric buttons on the radio. Beyond that, pulling up particular song/album is too difficult to do while driving.

I look forward to your report on the new product.

In the end, no piece of electro-wizardry can compete with the Eisenmans.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Thanks guys! I might do the ipod thing as I have a spare ipod and that would be neat to have! I will look more into it when I have more time- until then I will just enjoy the lovely music on WS62- favorite program is the "pops" by Eisenmann

If you do the IceLink...

...see the following thread.
    thegunguy

Well...

I called Dice Electronics today and according to them the text display on the Z8 radio will NOT work even though there will be full functionality through the radio controls to control the ipod. So now I am not sure what the difference will be between the Dice unit and the Denison unit if any.

Bummer...
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Slightly off subject

I do not use my CD because the bass is so over done - even with the control down completely. I see that many drivers use their cars w/o a top. Have any of you compared the sound with and w/o the top? I think that perhaps the sound would have much less bass w/o the top, but I have never had my top off. Thanks all

Hap

Z8Mania
    which top? hard or soft? You are correct, the more of a top you have on the car the more all the frequencies will be reflected back to your ears. My observation is the bass is enhanced most with the hard top on and least with no top. I do not know for sure, but as these cars (and their speakers age) you might also be hearing distortion from the OEM paper speakers wearing out.

Hard Top

I have never had the hard top off of my car and don?t honestly know if the other top is there - but I'll bet that it is. I don't tolerate sun and like the car as a coupe, and I figured that it would possibly squeak or leak (when I wash it - it has never seen rain:-))) if I fooled with it. I also have never opened the rack box or the bags of roadster accessories. I assumed that the hard top would be the worst case for the bass and was asking to verify. I have now seen how to remove the radio head so I will design a high pass filter and slip it in to the audio path. It will be a while before I get to it but when I do, I?ll share what I have done and give an opinion on the results. For now I have parked the car waiting for the frame fix information.
    Regards all
    Hap

Z8Mania
    According to Denisons website they do not have a model compatible with the Z8- what gives?

OK_ spoke with them- the ice link does work for the Z8 but they are currently out of stock- they will call me when they get it in. The install seems like it falls within my skill level.

Z8Mania

Good news- bad news

Well, Denison came through and got me the adaptor. But it turns out my head unit is now malfunctioning and will not actually pass any audio signal from the CD input. The am/fm works, but sometimes the head unit wont even come on. At this point I am simply going to leave it as is and when the head unit eventually dies I will replace it with an aftermarket one that I will be sure to get ipod integration for.

The good news is the instructions posted on the other thread are spot on. good work guys!

It seems that our head unit is quite prone to failure....

I have heard of several of them failing, and being replaced under warranty. I'm not sure that it is worth having the same unit again once out of warranty because on my drives in the EU I have seen many owners put in different head units, and the sound quality is amazing with the OEM speaker set. Please do keep us posted on any upgrades, as I know this is something we'll all do in the fullness of time.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Thanks Andrew- this is exactly what I will do. Right now I have to reassemble those parts of my Z8- but given the limited driving, AM/FM will do me just fine. I like having the nav function so anything else I do must have nav- I also do not want a pop out screen as I feel it would be out of place on the Z8. Also given that my car is now heading towards being 6 years old, I would probably swap out the speakers too- and do anti laser, built in radar, etc.

Z8 Novice
    The best replacement for a 6 cd changer is Phatnoise. It is a hard drive that allows the user to download an entire cd collection that can be played thru the standard faceplate. Its fantastic. I have 7900 songs and counting.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar

Phatnoise

Hey

Which product on the website is it ?

And how easy is the interface to use ?

Dave P

DSC Off
    Add me to the head unit failure and replacement, too bad i did not read this sooner. i probably would have replaced it, and done the voice activated phone. Is there an upgrade to the GPS too?