Thread: H&R Springs

Z8 Novice

H&R Springs

I'm in the process of upgrading to the Alpina suspension, including installing H&R front & rear sway bars. I'm having a difficult time sourcing the euro-spec Alpina front springs and am considering going with H&R front springs. They claim to lower the front 1", but not sure how they will compare to the Alpina springs as it relates to spring rate and other characteristics. I can't find any threads on the Forum re: H&R and am curious if anyone has any insight or thoughts on this approach.

Thanks.
    2002 Z8 (AH61379) - Silver over Black

Sitting Next to Her: 1965 Stingray Roadster

Gone, but not forgotten:

E60 550i six speed
    F10 M5 DCT
    E34 535i auto

I have no info at all on the H&R springs, but I would caution against them as if they're lower they're more likely to bottom out and damage the shock tower crowns in a bad railroad crossing/pothole situation. I haven't dealt with Alpina directly in a while, but I would think they must have the specs for their springs even if they've sold all their spares.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I have been Running the H&R Springs for years now. They are the stock spring rate only lower. I combined them with the Dinan S2 sway bars.

Never had any problems with too much compression allowing bottoming out, but they promised slightly less drop in the rear and delivered equal or possibly even more drop in the rear.

I hate cars lower in the rear, looks like they have a dirty diaper. Since my original Yokohamas were discontinued, I switched to MPSS which has a rear tire slightly taller than the front and that rectified the ride height issue.

I bought a set of KW coil overs to resolve and now not needing to use them.

YMMV
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    I have been Running the H&R Springs for years now. They are the stock spring rate only lower. I combined them with the Dinan S2 sway bars.

Never had any problems with too much compression allowing bottoming out, but they promised slightly less drop in the rear and delivered equal or possibly even more drop in the rear.

I hate cars lower in the rear, looks like they have a dirty diaper. Since my original Yokohamas were discontinued, I switched to MPSS which has a rear tire slightly taller than the front and that rectified the ride height issue.

I bought a set of KW coil overs to resolve and now not needing to use them.

YMMV
    Yes, trying to avoid the lower rear / taller front syndrome. I am going with the Alpina rear springs (they're on order). I would like to go with shorter front springs so I can install the Dinan camber plates, which would presumably offset some of the front drop. If I don't swap the front springs I will likely not but the plates on b/c that will only add to front height...

Gone, but not forgotten:

E60 550i six speed
    F10 M5 DCT
    E34 535i auto

Hmm, I can’t address the combination of two different spring rate springs. May be great, IDK.

If I were doing it over with H&R, I would have a 1/2” spacer for the rear. I think the drop in front is perfect.

of course the castor plates will affect this as well.

keep us posted!
    2000 Red over black

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    Hmm, I can’t address the combination of two different spring rate springs. May be great, IDK.

If I were doing it over with H&R, I would have a 1/2” spacer for the rear. I think the drop in front is perfect.

of course the castor plates will affect this as well.

keep us posted!
    Agree - not a good idea to mix & match springs. What struts are you running? I have the Alpina struts coming and am now thinking to go with H&R front & rear springs. Will install PP when I have things apart. Will nix the caster plates. I like the idea of the 1/2" rear spacer you suggest but am interested in knowing your strut set up.

Gone, but not forgotten:

E60 550i six speed
    F10 M5 DCT
    E34 535i auto

I am currently on my original Z8 struts.

I run 19” HRE wheels (to clear 550 Maranello Brembos) and when I switched to MPSS tires, the slight staggering of the tire diameter solved the rake issue.

Handling is at the factory original setting with the exception of ride height and sway bars, which lowered the CG slightly and tightened up the rear end in spirited driving. Alignment is factory Z8.

I also installed a Quaife LSD which really improved traction on exiting turns under power.

I am a fan of tire sidewall, both for esthetics an ride comfort. Modern tire tech has really come a long way.
    2000 Red over black