Thread: Z8 value by colors + Alpina vs z8 for investment

Z8 Novice

Z8 value by colors + Alpina vs z8 for investment

Hi

I am looking for purchasing a Z8. I have just started doing some research regarding the car. I was wondering in terms of the prices go from high to low does the color combinations matter assuming all the comparable cars have similar millage (if you can mentioned which ones are desirable). Also what is a good millage to have in order to be in a good standing for resale value. Are there certain millages that you should not exceed on the car so it does not depreciate. I am considering Alpina version too and also was wondering which one is a better investment over time the reular Z8 or Alpina version.

Thank you for your help.
    Gev

Welcome to the Z8 forum, Gev. My first suggestion to you would be to go to bringatrailer.com and look at their past auction results (70 Z8 sales to date) to get a sense of the effect of color (interior as well as exterior), mileage, overall condition, and completeness (having most or all of the many accessories that came with the car) on valuations. Without a doubt, Alpinas command a price premium over a standard Z8, but if you intend to drive and enjoy the car you should carefully consider whether you want the experience of a six-speed manual with a higher horsepower engine as found in all standard Z8s, vs. an automatic transmission with slightly less horsepower as found in all Alpinas. Extremely low miles, (sub 1k miles) will command a very substantial premium, with additional price breaks around 10k miles and 20k miles. The vast majority of Z8s were either silver or black (roughly 90%), so blue, red, and stratus grey will command a premium, all else being equal. Blue over crema appears to be at the top of the pecking order in terms of desirability. Bear in mind that all Z8s are collectable and are likely to appreciate over time, and desirable colors, mileage, condition etc. are going to be already priced into your acquisition cost, so the opportunity for appreciation may or may not be greater for cars higher on the desirability scale.These are wonderful cars and I encourage you to buy one for the pleasure of owning and driving it. From an investment perspective, you will almost always do better investing your money in an S&P 500 ETF. Good luck in your search.

Per Boomster's comment;

https://bringatrailer.com/bmw/z8/
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

At this age I would put condition over color when it comes to purchasing. I have seen almost all the colors, they they all have their special something, but having owned three silver/black cars that really remains my favorite combo for these cars.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    At this age I would put condition over color when it comes to purchasing. I have seen almost all the colors, they they all have their special something, but having owned three silver/black cars that really remains my favorite combo for these cars.
    Thatís where I am for sure, thatís what I looked for and remain more than happy about that part. And all the other parts!

Z8 Novice
    Thank you for the valuable information. I will do more research on the prices on bringatrailer. Is it also a good source to find and buy a z8 from or is there other places to shop for one. As far as investment I ment which z8 will appreciate more over time comparing the alpina to regular version or they appreciate same way? And lastly I am debating if I should get one now or wait a bit since the used car prices have went up a lot this past year, was wondering if the prices will go down when the market cools of a bit.

Nobody has that kind of crystal ball, if you want one and can afford one, now is the time, because tomorrow is neither promised nor guaranteed.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.