Thread: Seams coming apart behind roll bars

Z8 Novice

Seams coming apart behind roll bars

Hello new member here, anyone had the seams come apart behind the roll bars? Not on the rollbars but on the base of the rollbars behind it. ??

I have not experienced anything like that on my own car with a sport red interior. I also looked at photos of Z8s sold on BAT over the last couple of years and did not see any cars exhibiting those symptoms, nor have I heard any discussion of this as a common problem (of which the Z8 has its share). So I tend to believe it is somewhat unique issue.Has this problem developed during your ownership? Is it possible the car has been stored in a spot where that area receives constant sun that might have shrunk the leather? Has the car been flooded or left out in the rain with the top down? My guess is the problem relates to exposure to sun or water at some time in its past.

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    I have not experienced anything like that on my own car with a sport red interior. I also looked at photos of Z8s sold on BAT over the last couple of years and did not see any cars exhibiting those symptoms, nor have I heard any discussion of this as a common problem (of which the Z8 has its share). So I tend to believe it is somewhat unique issue.Has this problem developed during your ownership? Is it possible the car has been stored in a spot where that area receives constant sun that might have shrunk the leather? Has the car been flooded or left out in the rain with the top down? My guess is the problem relates to exposure to sun or water at some time in its past.
    Definitely has been exposed to sun, thank you for the reply.

I see that your in California, and if you're in the SF Bay Area I can recommend an upholsterer who has worked on my Z8 to take a look at your car.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by EDEZ8 View Post
    I see that your in California, and if you're in the SF Bay Area I can recommend an upholsterer who has worked on my Z8 to take a look at your car.
    Thanks buddy, I'm in Temecula wine country. Know anyone out here? I'd love to have someone fix it instead of having to buy a new one. Blessings,

Quote Originally Posted by jrata View Post
    Thanks buddy, I'm in Temecula wine country. Know anyone out here? I'd love to have someone fix it instead of having to buy a new one. Blessings,
    I don't have any contacts down your way, but maybe someone else on the forum does.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

These guys have done a lot of body work for folks I know, and have (or did do anyway) a good name, so I'd suggest reaching out to them, them will either have or know of someone who can fix it.

https://www.spectrumcollision.com

Also I think these guys might have a good resource - https://www.crevierclassiccars.com

Also Satch and Kelly hopefully will chime in as they know the south area suppliers well.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    thanks Andrew

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    These guys have done a lot of body work for folks I know, and have (or did do anyway) a good name, so I'd suggest reaching out to them, them will either have or know of someone who can fix it.

https://www.spectrumcollision.com

Also I think these guys might have a good resource - https://www.crevierclassiccars.com

Also Satch and Kelly hopefully will chime in as they know the south area suppliers well.

does anyone know what the part numbers are to replace that piece? I believe that the piece has a left and right piece and obviously is color sensitive because of the leather. Any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jrata View Post
    does anyone know what the part numbers are to replace that piece? I believe that the piece has a left and right piece and obviously is color sensitive because of the leather. Any help is appreciated.
    I believe the left is 51467002417 and the right one 51467002418.

You can see the area parts diagram following this link (please note the pricing is not current or the parts available through this site (I use getbmwparts.com personally)

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_4155
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S