Thread: Hard top installation -tutorial?

Hard top installation -tutorial?

I have owned my Z8 for 10 years now & the hardtop has never been off the stand or even uncovered. I am moving to a new house & I thought the best way to move the hardtop is on the car. I know the installation is a 2 person affair, Is there a video tutorial on install or could someone explain the install process?

Much thanks fellow Z8'ers
    Wishing everyone a happy & HEALTHY holiday season.

Check here starting on page 96 - just reverse the process as stated on page 98. Do you have the tool and the trim panels and the little oval covers (that may be on)? It is not hard at all to do and the top is very light. I used to do this with my wife and then carry the top to the basement with her for storage in the summer when I used to put it on for the late fall and the winter when I bought the car in 2005. When we moved later it was packed by the movers and wrapped in blankets and shrink wrap and it is still that way. Now I just drive the car with the soft top during cold weather (carefully) when the roads are dry and the temps are at least close to 40 as I do not formally put the car away for the winter - just keep on trickle charger in between the fairly random drives.

http://www.bmwz8.us/pdf/2003Manual.pdf
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Skip- This is a little confusing. Is the soft to removed from the car or just put into the retracted position? Instructions infer to remove the soft top? "Attach the protective cloth insert to theroof brace before placing the convertible top on the hardtop cart" Also, is the hard top tool stowed in the car? I assume it is in trunk with the tool roll I will check tonight.

The soft top is just retracted. Since the directions are on the removal, it is asking to put the protective soft cover for the hardtop on before placing the hard top on the trolley. Also, please note that you should always use the protective soft plastic window protector before retracting the soft top in order to keep the plastic rear window clear (ask how I know.... I believe the new plastic window I had installed was about $1,700 + installation for about $200). Not sure where the tool originally was, but the tool bag seems like a likely place. I think mine is in the glove compartment now or possibly in my garage storage cabinet with other Z8 stuff. Hope this helps - post more questions if you have!
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

DSC Off
    The hard top tool is clipped onto the hard top on the drivers side. In the hole that is covered by the plastic louvered covers.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiMike View Post
    The hard top tool is clipped onto the hard top on the drivers side. In the hole that is covered by the plastic louvered covers.
    Thanks I think I saw it there once a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dkat View Post
    Thanks I think I saw it there once a long time ago.
    Since you are new in installing the hardtop, when lifting the hardtop over the car, best is to have extra hands to assist lifting. One slip could be a very expensive exercise on the paintwork etc. Cheers

Thanks all, Hardtop installed for the first time. The Z8 looks fantastic with the hardtop on

It does look fantastic! Don't see this very often as I believe most owners do not actually put it on seasonally. I used to but have not for a while. Thanks fro posting to remind all of us how great the Z8 does look with the hardtop!
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

I always loved the Z8 with the hardtop too, it looks a lot more badass that way. I took a lot o shots of my first one with the top on as I used to take it the track a lot, and you had to keep it on for that.

https://www.bmwz8.us/gallery.php?GalleryID=5

https://www.bmwz8.us/gallery.php?GalleryID=12

https://www.bmwz8.us/gallery.php?GalleryID=13

https://www.bmwz8.us/gallery.php?GalleryID=19
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Musta10000 View Post
    It does look fantastic! Don't see this very often as I believe most owners do not actually put it on seasonally. I used to but have not for a while. Thanks fro posting to remind all of us how great the Z8 does look with the hardtop!
    We are moving to a new house & thought the best way to move the hardtop was on the car. Once we are there, off it comes until the next move.