Thread: Still having fun...

Still having fun...

My daughter just turned 10 years old, which reminded me that I was on paternity leave after her birth when I saw a post from Ron on this forum about a single owner Black/Red Z8 for sale in San Diego. Despite never have seen a black/red Z8, Ron's description and familiarity of dealership led me to call the general manager to leave a large deposit to hold the car. l flew down from San Francisco to San Diego to see the car the next day. I met my friend Jack at the dealership, and his simple role was "The Voice of Reason" because I needed an objective perspective. Bottom line, when the car appeared from detailing Jack was more smitten than me. A test drive and visit to finance had me on the road back home, 500 glorious miles.

Looking back today, if I were to summarize three "Ups" and three "Downs":
    Ups
    1) Planing and executing an amazing 2016 Monterey Car week experience with ringleader Carlos as well as with Ted and Mark. I met so many wonderful Z8ers on this trip.

2) Trip to Napa in 2012 planned by Andrew. I virtually knew many members of the forum from their posts, but to actually meet these people over a glass or two of wine was very special and many of the folks I met are still friends.

3) Every time I push the start button. How fortunate am I to drive a car that I still enjoy after 10 years! Special shout out to Matt (current) and Dana (former) employees of Peter Pan BMW for keeping me on the road.

Downs
    1) Never meeting face to face with Z8Mania (Jerry) or Greasemonkey because I always enjoyed their posts.
    2) With a long term ownership, I sometimes forget how special the Z8 is to others.
    3) Life getting in the way for myself and others in reconnecting on a trip post 2016 Monterey.

Onward for the next 10 years!
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Ed,
    So nice of you to take the time to reflect on your ownership and our extended Z8 'family'. I think anyone who has met you in person or through your musings will agree that you are truly a great fellow - always considerate, friendly and helpful. We're all lucky to have you with us to help make this site of Andrew's so very special and valuable to all of us and each new member who is cordially welcomed to share their Z8 joys and ordeals. Fortunately, the joys prevail and the luster increases with the Z8, as the horsepower wars have succeeded in redirecting drivers' appreciation toward the beauty of our cars and the uniquely modern roadster experience.

Ed, what a great post... I echo Ted's comments wholeheartedly.

Having the opportunity to get to know you, Lisa and the kids and our casual get togethers have been a Z8 ownership highlight. Unfortunately, with the coronavirus events I have not travelled to the Bay Area at all this year, as all my Client meetings are now Zoom meetings, but hopefully I'll get to see that new garage in the not to distant future. BTW, I have this romantic dream of another Z8 (or drive what you want/have) Napa drive also in the not to distant future where I'll get to see all the great owners (and past owners) again.

Onward for the next 10 years indeed!
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 Z8 (last one?) - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2021 X5 (G05) 4.0i - Daily Driver
    2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 14K mi. (Mezger / 6-sp. manual)

Great to see these nice posts and friendships that have developed through the ownership of the Z8. Due to living far, far away from the California (Iowa) I have not had the opportunity to join any of these events and meet you personally, but who knows - maybe one day! There are only two Z8s in Des Moines, the other one being an Alpina and while I know who the owner is (he has another in the South), I have not met him. I am glad though that my PCA members always welcome me with more than open arms for the drives with the Z8 when I mix things up and leave my Targa 4S at home. The car does make me smile every time I take it out and while the drives will be les frequent the next few months, I will continue to drive my car as much as I can when the upcoming winter breaks.

Onward for the next 100,000 miles!
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 110,000+ Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Thank you Ted, I wasn't expecting the post to be redirected at me too. Then again given your high character and thoughtfulness... Stay well!
    My Best,

Ed

What an awesome thread, a great Sunday read to replace the Sunday drives I used to love so much. This is absolutely convertible time of year here in SoCal, wishing I was out there on a drive with everyone now. Fingers crossed for a great get together in the not too distant future!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Thank you Carlos, a trip to Napa to share a drive and a few laughs would be a great treat after the pandemic! It would be fun to get the organizing crew back together too.

The build of the garage and attached house was slowed by the pandemic because some of the crew members are in high risk groups. That said, it is largely complete and in these times of shelter in place, I've have been busy completing smaller tasks in our new home after my day job.

Stay well!
    My Best,

Ed

It would be a great treat to meet you Skip. In 2016, some of the non-Californian folks shipped their cars to Peter Pan BMW. I'd venture a guess that with 100K miles on your Z8 you would instead be selecting a driving route from Iowa to meet up in Napa. Stay well!
    My Best,

Ed

Thank you Andrew for maintaining such a great site for future, current and past Z8 owners. Thank you too for archiving our history through your words and images! Stay well!
    My Best,

Ed

Thanks Ed! That could be an epic roadtrip!
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 110,000+ Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    If a Z8 Napa Valley drive ever comes together, I'd be happy to host lunch at a St Helena winery. It would be great to meet some experienced Z8 folks. I also have to chime in with thanks to Andrew, and everyone else who contributes, for this site. As a newby, it is truly fantastic to have this resource - nearly 20 years of problems/solutions/opinions and stories.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness
    I echo what's already been said eloquently by others. What a great thread to read this morning. This is going to be a good week :-)

+1 for post-pandemic Napa Valley trip of the century!