Thread: Tail Light Replacement Vid or pics? or Shop close to Rhode Island that has done the job?

Z8 Novice

Tail Light Replacement Vid or pics? or Shop close to Rhode Island that has done the job?

lol I guess my title says it all
    I'm looking for the procedure (in pics or a vid ) to see if I will tackle the job. I will be using the LED replacement tail lights.

Also is there a good independent shop close to Rhode Island that has done the tail replacement job that I can trust?

Thank you.
    Euro Spec
    Z8
    Red/black

DSC Off
    LED replacement tail lights? Where did you find those?

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiMike View Post
    LED replacement tail lights? Where did you find those?

https://rebuildmastertech.com/bmw-z8...fication-pair/

I have spoken with them several times. They seem very competent and have warrantee. You send them your lights and approx. 2weeks they ship your updated LED lights.

DSC Off
    Please post results! I wasn't aware this was even an option - hope it works and looks great.

I don't know where to find good instructions for removing the tail light assemblies. There was a great online source but BMW squashed it. The redirect goes to BMW's official site, www.bmwtis.com - $30/day for access.

I miss shop manuals - you know, on paper!

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Blues View Post
    https://rebuildmastertech.com/bmw-z8...fication-pair/

I have spoken with them several times. They seem very competent and have warrantee. You send them your lights and approx. 2weeks they ship your updated LED lights.
    Have they actually sold any? Anybody here have them installed? Jake Blues, do they have video available to show how they look like once installed and in use?
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

I don't recall seeing a video on this subject, but I think the procedure for replacing the taillights involves removing the bumper cover. Once you get it off, I suspect the rest is plug and play. Perhaps you could enlist a trusted body shop to help with the removal and re-installment of the cover. I look forward to hearing how you like the LED conversion.

Z8 Novice
    I did not ask how many they have sold. But I was able to find a video of the finished product on youtube. Here's the link.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEyNmc2847Y
    Feel free to call them about it. I spoke with the (owner ) he was very familiar with removal/install job. His first question to me was "Are you a patient man? " lol admittingly NO.

My problem now is finding a competent body shop to do the job that specializes in high end euro cars close to Newport, RI

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Blues View Post
    lol I guess my title says it all
    I'm looking for the procedure (in pics or a vid ) to see if I will tackle the job. I will be using the LED replacement tail lights.

Also is there a good independent shop close to Rhode Island that has done the tail replacement job that I can trust?

Thank you.
    Euro Spec
    Z8
    Red/black

DSC Off
    It has been a couple of years since I replaced a taillight. A lot of disassembly but if you are competent and have the TIS instructions, not that hard. Unclipping the bumper required some care. Beyond that it is simply removing parts. Years ago I bought the TIS manual CD on-line on ebay. For the 10 dollar investment it has been very useful. I still see the TIS CD on Ebay. TIS install instructions were very specific. Not sure if it works on Windows 10. I run it on an old XP computer.

Steve