Thread: For everyone missing Monterey....

For everyone missing Monterey....

The Peterson is putting on a lovely week of car content here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7l...JWaSnNMqNjTEAQ
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Give me liberty, or give me death!

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    The Peterson is putting on a lovely week of car content here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7l...JWaSnNMqNjTEAQ
    Thanks Patrick. Seems we live in a world where fear rules. Thank God our ancestors were not such patsies and cowards or they would never have boarded rickety wooden boats when they thought the earth was flat and sailed to the "new world" where they would be greeted by native peoples protecting their land from invaders, harsh winters and starvation. Where our ancestors dragged wooden wheeled carts thousands of miles across America, through death Valley's deserts and over the Rocky Mountains. Where men boarded tin cans atop the world's largest missile and blasted off to the moon! Yet today we are too afraid to go to a car show. Worse? We take away people's choice to assume the risk.

Motorcycles are dangerous. We should ban them.
    Convertibles are dangerous. We should ban them.
    Skydiving, single engine airplanes, surfing, skiing, football, rugby, rollerskating, cycling, hang gliding, parasailing--all dangerous.

Mark my words, in the future, when we the world is overtaken by blender motor driven automobiles that do the the driving for us all connected to and controlled by a central computer system, they will say the car is simply too dangerous when driven by a person.

Where is Charles Darwin and Teddy Roosevelt when we need them?

I prefer freedom with some risk as opposed to limits on freedom with a supposed reduced risk any day.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness
    With all due respect:

You can chose to ride a motorcycle
    You can chose to drive a convertible
    You can chose to skydive, surf, etc.

You can not chose to not be infected by an invisible virus. .5-1% mortality is serious. More so if you are above 65. For the past 2 weeks, 1000 people have died everyday. Before the end of the year, expect 300K people dead in the US alone. Our of respect for them and other around you, take this serious.

Mankind does and will continue to explore and undertake grand missions. There is no evidence of this slowing. Including crafting a vaccine that will allow us all to once again enjoy life as we knew it and, yes, attend car shows in person.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Z8DinanS2 View Post
    Thanks Patrick. Seems we live in a world where fear rules. Thank God our ancestors were not such patsies and cowards or they would never have boarded rickety wooden boats when they thought the earth was flat and sailed to the "new world" where they would be greeted by native peoples protecting their land from invaders, harsh winters and starvation. Where our ancestors dragged wooden wheeled carts thousands of miles across America, through death Valley's deserts and over the Rocky Mountains. Where men boarded tin cans atop the world's largest missile and blasted off to the moon! Yet today we are too afraid to go to a car show. Worse? We take away people's choice to assume the risk.

Motorcycles are dangerous. We should ban them.
    Convertibles are dangerous. We should ban them.
    Skydiving, single engine airplanes, surfing, skiing, football, rugby, rollerskating, cycling, hang gliding, parasailing--all dangerous.

Mark my words, in the future, when we the world is overtaken by blender motor driven automobiles that do the the driving for us all connected to and controlled by a central computer system, they will say the car is simply too dangerous when driven by a person.

Where is Charles Darwin and Teddy Roosevelt when we need them?

I prefer freedom with some risk as opposed to limits on freedom with a supposed reduced risk any day.

Who's Patrick?
    Andrew Macpherson

I agree with Patrick. We get to decide what risk we can accept. Every time we take to the freeway there is a chance of death. Only about 35,000 deaths per year In the US, but significant. And nobody thinks twice. This virus is totally different, but still... my biggest fear is that some government decides everything we can or canít do. But, like my crazy driving, I use My own judgement to avoid death... so far!

I am still confused as Andrew seems to be as well. Who is Patrick and what did he say that everybody is agreeing to???
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 110,000+ Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Quote Originally Posted by redz8 View Post
    With all due respect:

You can chose to ride a motorcycle
    You can chose to drive a convertible
    You can chose to skydive, surf, etc.

You can not chose to not be infected by an invisible virus. .5-1% mortality is serious. More so if you are above 65. For the past 2 weeks, 1000 people have died everyday. Before the end of the year, expect 300K people dead in the US alone. Our of respect for them and other around you, take this serious.

Mankind does and will continue to explore and undertake grand missions. There is no evidence of this slowing. Including crafting a vaccine that will allow us all to once again enjoy life as we knew it and, yes, attend car shows in person.

Cheers!

And? If you are in a vulnerable group due to age or health conditions then you can chose not to attend the car shows. Its all about CHOICE. If I were a person who got sick easily when it was cold out does that mean we should ban ice fishing or skiing for everyone else? At the end of the day IMO what should have happened was guidelines as suggestions should have been created. E.g., informing vulnerable groups of their particular vulnerabilities and suggesting they isolate themselves. Let people decide their fate. Instead, we really did a terrible number on the US economy. I am stunned by how many business were hurt or destroyed. Here in Beverly Hills ALL of the Coffee Bean and Peet's Coffee shops closed forever. Numerous restaurants and retailers have just disappeared. We are going to be paying a very heavy price for this and people don't even realize economically how bad this will ultimately be. In life you take precautions. You assume risks every day. People smoke. Drink alcohol. Eat red meat. Drink cola. Don't exercise enough. Etc. They do these things by choice. Give people the information to make informed decisions and then let them make their choice.

As for mankind slowing, I do not see the brave undertakings that marked the last several hundred years. Imagine being the first person to fly a plane across the ocean? Being dropped from a plane and then having a rocket fire as you go to break the speed of sound. When's the last time we sent a person into space beyond earth? How many decades ago? Sending rover's to Mars is great for science. And it is safe. But it does little for firing the imagination and uniting the world the way mankind stepping foot on the moon half a century ago. Today we have cars filled with nanny aids. Heaven forbid you had to actually know how to drive a car. Oh, don't even get me started )

Seems the show goes on in London?
    https://londonconcours.co.uk/tickets/

This is the first time in human history we have quarantined the healthy. Our political class is as dumb as cacti and we the sheeple are no better.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 Z8 (last one?) - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2021 X5 (G05) 4.0i - Daily Driver
    2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 14K mi. (Mezger / 6-sp. manual)

Too bad this thread has gone off topic. Comments sound like Facebook ones. Can we (you) refrain from discussions and comments that are not Z8 related. Please.
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 110,000+ Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

This is totally off Z8's, but is actually very scary and important - the girl who made this has just been jailed!

Andrew Macpherson

[QUOTE=macfly;57285]This is totally off Z8's, but is actually very scary and important - the girl who made this has just been jailed!
    What was it? the video is gone.

What's up with this world? Censorship and cancelling Pebble?

I know - I'm both not surprised that was taken off line, but also so dismayed that Google and Facebook are so in Orwellian lockstep with the very corruption this clip illustrated.

I have never been more concerned for our country than I am today.
    Andrew Macpherson

Amen Andrew!!!!!
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 Z8 (last one?) - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2021 X5 (G05) 4.0i - Daily Driver
    2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 14K mi. (Mezger / 6-sp. manual)