Thread: Headlight self levelin issue

Headlight self levelin issue

My right side headlight stopped self leveling when being turned on. Does anyone know what is involved and how costly the repair/part replacement might be? I certainly hope that I do not have to replace the headlight itself... I have not driven at night to see what the impact is for illuminating the road, but I was alerted to the lights looking off on a recent drive with some PCA friends and upon arriving home looked into it finding that the leveling was not functioning on that right side headlight.
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 110,000+ Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

I guess I don't drive at night enough, I was unaware of the leveling function. I assume you are speaking of the main headlight/turn signal unit, the one that can get cloudy. The high beam lamp, as you are no doubt aware, is actually the round light set in the grille that most people assume is a fog light. The part of the headlight that is excessively costly is the plastic housing that fogs up. The ancillary parts are not nightmarishly expensive. I would tend to believe it is not the housing itself, so you are hopefully looking at something not too expensive. It is not a difficult job to pull out the headlight/indicator light housing, I have done it myself on both sides when I replaced my cloudy headlights.

Boomster - the self leveling occurs when the headlights (not high beam) is turned on. If you are in the garage and turn your lights on in the dark or dim garage you will see how the beam moves up a notch and then settles at a specific height. I wonít tackle this myself so next time I take the car into service, Iíll have them fix it. Thanks for you comments!
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 110,000+ Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S