Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Tires

  1. #1
    Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    181

    Tires

    When I bought my car in 2013, the dealer had replaced the tires with new, OEM run flats. I know many here dislike these tires, but I have kept them as I haven't minded them, and of course, they were new. Now, 7 years later, I am wondering about their reliable life. Any thoughts? I know some of the true high performance tires out there have "expiry dates", but I don't think these would qualify... although the RF mechanism might accelerate their degradation over time.

    Patrick

  2. #2
    It's always best to swap tires out before they age and degrade too much, and IMHO you're right at that age to change them out. It's a small price to pay to avoid the annoyance and possible cost of a tire failure.

    The new runflats do get much more of a thumbs up than the old ones, but I think that most also feel the Michelin Pilot Sports are the best fit for the car.
    Andrew Macpherson

    Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

  3. #3
    Z8 Ate My Homework! Norcal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,545
    The run flats are hard and stiff when new.... 7 years later? Ha! Time for new for sure.

  4. #4
    Team Z8 Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by screenap View Post
    When I bought my car in 2013, the dealer had replaced the tires with new, OEM run flats. I know many here dislike these tires, but I have kept them as I haven't minded them, and of course, they were new. Now, 7 years later, I am wondering about their reliable life. Any thoughts? I know some of the true high performance tires out there have "expiry dates", but I don't think these would qualify... although the RF mechanism might accelerate their degradation over time.

    Patrick
    You should fit a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. World of difference.

  5. #5
    Z8 Novice
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    6
    Hi Screenap - I just went through this when replacing the original OEM tires that were mounted to the car at the factory. Unfortunately, at the moment, Michelin isn't making the P2S or P4S in the sizes for the Z8. I ended up having to go with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires for the car, which do the trick just fine. Did a bunch of research on the alternatives (such as the Continental ExtremeContract Sports) and there is plenty of feedback out there about the problems with extreme flat spotting, so I stayed clear of those.

  6. #6
    Team Z8 Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by StratusZ8 View Post
    Hi Screenap - I just went through this when replacing the original OEM tires that were mounted to the car at the factory. Unfortunately, at the moment, Michelin isn't making the P2S or P4S in the sizes for the Z8. I ended up having to go with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires for the car, which do the trick just fine. Did a bunch of research on the alternatives (such as the Continental ExtremeContract Sports) and there is plenty of feedback out there about the problems with extreme flat spotting, so I stayed clear of those.
    Now that's the perfect reason to upgrade to the Alpina wheels as those Michelin tires are in stock

  7. #7
    Team Z8
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    322
    Hmm...I didn't know about that problem with the Continental ECS. I'd been waiting out this virus madness with the hopes that Continental would have them on their regular spring/summer sale. I can see a few comments online of flat spotting, but living in Southern California maybe less of a problem with warmer winter temps here. I'll do some more research, my car often sits for weeks/months at a time so it could be an issue for me.

  8. #8
    Team Z8
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    322

    FYI...Continental rebate(s) starting June 1st...

    Quote Originally Posted by Z8DinanS2 View Post
    Now that's the perfect reason to upgrade to the Alpina wheels as those Michelin tires are in stock
    A little more research and I'm still buying a set of the ECS tires, just got a notification that their rebate starts in June.

  9. #9
    Z8 Ate My Homework! Norcal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,545
    Itís my understanding, that flatspotting while racing is a result of locking up the brakes and scrubbing a flt spot onto the the tire. This will get worse and worse as when threshold braking, the tire will stop at the same point and scrub more rubber off. What you are talking about is not a flat spot! There is no rubber missing. Just drive it a few miles and the tire will soften up and return to full round. Really people?

  10. #10
    Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    209

    Run flat

    Those tires are pretty old. I am not sure if the newer run flats are much improved. When I bought my car (7000 miles) the inner casing of the run flats had begun to decay. There were literally coming apart in chunks inside. The outer casings looked perfect. Buy the Michelins.

Similar Threads

  1. New tires
    By llioz in forum Z8 Chat Room
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: July 3rd 2016, 00:24
  2. New wheels and tires
    By Z8 Zach in forum Tires, Wheels and Brakes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: December 18th 2015, 15:45
  3. Z8 Tires
    By Z8LVR in forum Tires, Wheels and Brakes
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: July 14th 2012, 19:18
  4. Snow tires....
    By macfly in forum Z8 Chat Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 15th 2012, 03:34
  5. Tires, Tires, Tires...
    By Musta10000 in forum Tires, Wheels and Brakes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: September 10th 2006, 01:32