Thread: When to replace a clutch?

When to replace a clutch?

I am looking at the acquisition of a 2001 Z8 original owner with 35k miles. It has the PP installed and there are no frame issues. It's been over-serviced with all receipts from new. New tires 1,000 miles ago. Had the original clutch. When would I expect to have to replace it and what should that cost?

On another note, the owner had the following modifications installed a few months after his purchase. (should I be worried?):
    • Lightened flywheel
    • Dinan SW
    • UUC short shifter

I had my clutch replaced at 83,678 miles and only because I had an RMS leak and it made sense at that point to take care of it at the same time even if there weren’t any actual clutch issues at that time. I would not worry about yours as long as the car has been and will be driven with proper clutch action. At that point the car had the CDV in place - I had it removed at 97,751 miles.
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorBroder View Post
    I am looking at the acquisition of a 2001 Z8 original owner with 35k miles. It has the PP installed and there are no frame issues. It's been over-serviced with all receipts from new. New tires 1,000 miles ago. Had the original clutch. When would I expect to have to replace it and what should that cost?

On another note, the owner had the following modifications installed a few months after his purchase. (should I be worried?):
    • Lightened flywheel
    • Dinan SW
    • UUC short shifter
    The standard answer would be when the clutch starts to slip. Typically, a clutch is failing when you attempt to accelerate hard in third or fourth gear and you notice the engine is racing without the expected acceleration. Depending on the skill of the previous owner and the degree of abuse the car has had, this could happen as early as within 10k miles, or possibly as late as 200k miles. I got 210k miles out of the original clutch on my old 1997 BMW 528i, I presently have 86k miles on the original clutch on my 2002 BMW M5 which shares the same engine/transmission/clutch as the Z8. If it engages smoothly and doesn't appear to slip, I would expect that at 35k miles there is plenty of life left in the clutch. As Skip said, one exception would be if you had to pull the transmission for other reasons, it would fall under the category of might as well do it while they are in there.

DSC Off
    If they replaced the flywheel are you sure they did put a new clutch in? Seems odd if they did not.

Quote Originally Posted by pendrod View Post
    If they replaced the flywheel are you sure they did put a new clutch in? Seems odd if they did not.
    Probably not an issue, since the original owner had it done a few months after purchase.

I have seen the UUC Shifter and Dinan Mods on the Board before, but do not recall the lightened flywheel. I had my 83' 320i flywheel lightened on rebuild and the only concern that was noted to me is that heavier flywheels are smoother at speed. I have not noticed any roughness at speed, so if you don't on your Z8 test drive, you will probably never notice.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black