Thread: Import a US VIN Z8 to Europe

DSC Off

Import a US VIN Z8 to Europe

Hello everyone,
    Iíve been told by Andrew that registering a US VIN Z8 in Europe has been made more difficult due to a change in the EU regulations. Has any of you recently imported a Z8 in the EU or do you know someone who did? Any information about the import or the registration/homologation in Europe is welcome! Thanks!
    Ben

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    As far as I know ( after a search in the EU website) there is no change in regulations. I can imagine import is effected by the "trade disagreements" between the US government en the EU Commission. Another reason could be the BMW AG policy to stop their activities in case of conversion from US to EC specs.
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

DSC Off
    Thanks for your reply, Ton! Do you by any chance know an owner who imported his z8 to Europe? Thanks!

Sport Button On
    Hi Ben, I have imported an US Z8 in 2016 to Germany
    Best regards from Dortmund

Karsten
    Alpina Z8 #550/555
    AH61420

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Ever or lately?
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

DSC Off
    Karsten: thanks, Iíll send you a private message.Ton: thanks, both might interest me.

DSC Off
    Hi Ben,I imported one into the UK two years ago. It was easy at that time.RegardsPeter

I have imported a US Z8 to Switzerland in 2014 and without any issues in in less than 2 weeks.I have also imported many European cars originally sold in the US back to Europe also without major issues. In France you have to be very patient as they love hurdles but in the end it gets done.I do not share the view that it is getting more difficult.The only recent issue I am aware of is certain European countries imposing higher road taxes on cars that are in a high Co2 category. Since US cars do not have an EU Certificate of Conformity, they do not have EU certified emission values. it is up to the agent handling the case to place the car in the right category. Some will, as you would expect, grant a US car the same status as its EU counterpart. I was made aware of an agent in Belgium who gave a US import the worst possible Co2 emission status for lack of evidence to the contrary. With some efforts though, the decision was amended.
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

2003 Stratus/Crema

Great info all round, I had obviously got bad info and also thought it was the reason we have been not been sending any cars to the EU in the last couple of years.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    Andrew,I have posted this before and do it again. The game changer is in 10 years. If the current regulations are still in force (UK ones anyway) then there will be 5% VAT to pay rather than 20%. This applies to cars more than 30 years old. This would definitely make US cars very attractive. They are substantially less money than the European ones.Peter

DSC Off
    Indeed, if the vehicle is considered as an "oldtimer car", i.e. if it is at least 30 years old, the VAT to import it from outside the EU is only 6%, and not the usual rate applied in each country (21% for Belgium, for example). Also, there are no import rights (10% of the purchase price) in that case. So I would have to add about 42% to the purchase price in total! And in Belgium, the driving tax is also much cheaper if the vehicle is at least 30 years old (currently about 2600 euros/year). Hence my reluctance to import a z8 now. To sum up, you can be sure that many z8s will be imported from the United States once they are 30 years old (within 10 years)!

That's great to know, we'll set up a network then if there's enough demand.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.