Thread: 295/35 20" rear and 275/35 front? and DINAN camber caster plates?

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar

295/35 20" rear and 275/35 front? and DINAN camber caster plates?

I'm looking to avoid the rubber band look of tires on the Alpina wheels while also adding more cushion between the road, tire and the Z8 frame. The 295/35 4S Michelins seem to fit fine in the back. (And I note Ferrari is using 35 series tires on its GTs).

However, the front concerns me as it looks really close to the outer fender. I have brembos and using a small 2mm spacer to clear the calipers. What's the widest tire anyone has fit to a Z8 front? Rear?

Also, has anyone installed the Dinan camber/caster plates and can they work with the Performance package strut tower bar?

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness 2112's Avatar
    I too do not like the rubber band profile tires and ran 295/35 Yokohama AVS until they were discontinued.

But I am on 19" wheels. Have you compared the overall diameter of the tires? On a 20" wheel, that is going to be one tall tire. It might make your car feel sluggish.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Yes, Dinan caber/caster plates work perfectly with the PP. many people use them together for years.

Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    I too do not like the rubber band profile tires and ran 295/35 Yokohama AVS until they were discontinued.

But I am on 19" wheels. Have you compared the overall diameter of the tires? On a 20" wheel, that is going to be one tall tire. It might make your car feel sluggish.
    I was thinking that as well, particularly given the weight increase over my HRE wheels, but that said, my car has 474 hp so I think it will be okay being a slave to fashion

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Norcal! I wonder what settings folks have used for caster and camber.. Adjusting caster can make the steering feel more lively and tweaking camber will allow for larger size tire clearance.

I have all the Dinan S2 upgrades as well.

when I switched rear tire sizes, the rear tire height increased from 27.1" to 28".

It was noticeable. Was it horrible? No.

I now wish I had gone with the shorter gears when we did the Quaife differential.
    2000 Red over black

I have all the Dinan S2 upgrades as well.

when I switched rear tire sizes, the rear tire height increased from 27.1" to 28".

It was noticeable. Was it horrible? No.

I now wish I had gone with the shorter gears when we did the Quaife differential.

Yes, the 295/35 20 Michelin is 28" as well. I am not sure what the ratio is in my LSD.

Does your car have an S2 Plaque from Dinan?
    I've been told there were about a dozen such cars produced.
    I think I will start a thread for a registry of Dinan S2 Z8s here on the forum.

No, I don't have the plaque. My headers were done at Dinan, my car was used to prototype the headers that did not require denting of the firewall/transmission tunnel.

Everything else was done by BMW Northwest in Fife Washington. They were authorized dealer/installers of the Dinan product line at that time.
    2000 Red over black

As I recall, the plates are not adjustable. Not like most camber plates. I never got any additional camber, just some caster.

I believe you're correct. Here is the description:

Dinan Caster Plates for the Z8 relocate the upper strut mounting position in order to provide additional caster, inducing negative camber on the front wheels in the turns for increased grip. The Z8 becomes even more responsive, with razor sharp turn in and a dramatic reduction of understeer.

I wonder why they did not do the plaque or what it was that warranted the plaque.

When I talked to them they stated they thought there were around a dozen or so S2 cars.

I wonder how many cars were before yours that had the header/frame issue.

I was under the impression that only cars done at Dinan received plaques.

Only my headers were done there.
    2000 Red over black

I was under the impression that only cars done at Dinan received plaques.

Only my headers were done there.
    When i contacted them about cars that had the upgrades they just told me all the cars in general, I presume based on their sales records of the components that go into making a car an S2. Unfortunately due to the passage of time and apparently a move, sale of the company, etc., their records were not easily accessed. But one Gentleman at Dinan spent sometime going back over the records and based on parts orders (e.g., carbon fiber airboxes, tuned intake trumpets, etc) the number was less than 20 total with these parts.

He did not indicate how many cars were actually S2 Plaque numbered cars.

Interestingly, S2 package did not include other relevant upgrades, such as the aluminum flywheel, LSD or Brembo brakes but was limited to engine related tuning enhancements.

I got the lightweight flywheel, headers, cold air intake boxes, intake runners, ECU software, adjustable sway bars and coil springs.

I did my Brembos much earlier, directly thru Brembo, in 2002. I can't remember which year we all did our Quaife LSD's, 2007?

I didn't like the Dinan coil springs And went back to the H&R springs I had before the S2 springs were installed.
    2000 Red over black

Our cars sound like twins. Did you also do the quick shift kit?

Have you tried the KW set up with adjustable shocks and adjustable ride height?

No, still with the stock shifter.

I have the KW coil-overs, but they are still in the box. Haven't had the time to install.

I thought I better buy a UCC short shift kit before they become unavailable.
    2000 Red over black

No, still with the stock shifter.

I have the KW coil-overs, but they are still in the box. Haven't had the time to install.

I thought I better buy a UCC short shift kit before they become unavailable.
    When do you think you'll install the KW coil-overs. I'm really curious to know how they are and I like the idea of height and shock adjustability

It might be a while. I bought it when I had the 295 and 275 tires as the car was a little low in the rear and I wanted to correct that.

since going to the 285/40 rear tire, the stance improved dramatically, but the overall ride height could drop a little more IMO. Maybe 10mm's lower.

I have been building a house in the evenings and weekends, once I wrap up that up, I will put it on my agenda.
    2000 Red over black

I see. I guess we'll see who end up being the first to try them out. If they are too stiff I'm hoping KW will swap out springs for a better setup as I doubt they've done much Z8 testing.

I haven't been able to find any substantive real world reviews on the KW coilovers.

I suspect you are correct, and with the car out of production for 16 years, I don't expect to see any real R&D happening soon.

I am anxious to hear of your experiences. 😉
    2000 Red over black

Ugh! Seems there's an 8 week delay once the order is placed. Kits are imported from Europe and built to order.

I think more than one set was available here, who knows, still might be available?
    2000 Red over black

I'll do a search. I can get a new set for $2600. I wonder what the Alpina set up is running these days.

Sport Button On
    The Alpina setup is running $4900. I ordered back in July and still waiting - although it's supposed to show up sometime in October. Alpina was down to 0 stock and another production run for something had to be done.

Anyone have a front and rear Aplina spring available for spring rate measuring?

Wow. Big differential there. I think the KW retail for something like $3200. I think what I may try and do is get a hold of a Euro Alpina front and rear spring and get their spring rates and then compare the KW rates and if off by much maybe revise the KW to use the Alpina spring rates. That way there is a fully adjustable system that runs Alpina spring rates. Anyone have a couple of Alpina springs available for measuring?

Interesting comparison, aren't the Spring rates for both readily available?
    2000 Red over black

Interesting comparison, aren't the Spring rates for both readily available?
    I can get the rates from KW for their setup. Does anyone know the rates for the Euro Alpina springs?