Thread: Under the hood lights

Under the hood lights

When are the two lights under the hood supposed to come on? Mine do not come on with hood open with headlights on or off. I may have burned out bulbs or some other issue, but wanted to confirm what the normal operation is.

Last edited by Musta10000; August 28th 2019 at 23:51. Reason: added info
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness 2112's Avatar
    Mine come on whenever the hood is opened but they do turn off automatically after 10 minutes or so (haven't timed it).
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    The light should go on when you open the hood. On the right there is a kind of on/off switch which is often the culprit. I changed mine years ago and since than problems are gone
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Do you normally keep the car on a Battery Tender, requiring that the trunk or hood are left ajar? If so, it may be that the electrical system is in "sleep mode" . I leave the trunk ajar due to the Battery Tender, and I just checked and neither the trunk light nor the under-hood lights will come on. My Z8 is buried behind other cars right now so I can't start it to see if the lights will wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-acht View Post
    The light should go on when you open the hood. On the right there is a kind of on/off switch which is often the culprit. I changed mine years ago and since than problems are gone
    Thanks - Ton. I'll see if I can locate the switch.
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    Do you normally keep the car on a Battery Tender, requiring that the trunk or hood are left ajar? If so, it may be that the electrical system is in "sleep mode" . I leave the trunk ajar due to the Battery Tender, and I just checked and neither the trunk light nor the under-hood lights will come on. My Z8 is buried behind other cars right now so I can't start it to see if the lights will wake up.
    I have not kept it on battery tender since April or so as I drive mine all the time. Also, I have the Battery Tender brand unit, but I also close the trunk lid as it does not harm the cord (or the car) at all. I did make an appointment with the dealership for Tuesday after labor day if I can't figure it out prior. Thanks for the response!
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Fuses

I thought that it could be a fuse issue so I took a look but can't find one that would control the lights under the hood. Possibly 24 and 30, but they seem fine. Any ideas?

Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

The switch that turns the under hood lights ON and OFF when the hood is raised or lowered is a multi-function switch (sort of). It automatically turns the lights ON and OFF AND gives you the ability to extinguish the lights when you want by pulling UP on the same switch. That turns the lights OFF (when the hood is up) and is restored to automatically operate once the hood is closed again. The switch is located on the driver's side near the back of the hood (nearest windshield).
    Thanks,
    Terry
    ALPINA #480/555
    Jet Black/Crema-Black

Terry - Thank you! I did find the switch, but it did not solve my issue. The dealership will check it out for me tomorrow morning. We'll see if it is a quick fix or not...
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Did you try pushing the switch down and quickly releasing it so it snaps up again? I have found it can be sticky but usually comes on after a couple of pushes.

Did you try pushing the switch down and quickly releasing it so it snaps up again? I have found it can be sticky but usually comes on after a couple of pushes.
    I guess I was not clear (not the first time...). The switch seems to be working just fine without any sticking or the like. The issue must lie elsewhere. Hopefully I will have it figured out tomorrow at the dealership.
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Problem solved - the switch itself is bad. The dealer needs to order one and Iíll get it fixed ones they have it.
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Replacement of the switch looks like a straightforward "plug and play" procedure- might want to do it yourself and avoid the cost and downtime of taking it to the dealer.

Replacement of the switch looks like a straightforward "plug and play" procedure- might want to do it yourself and avoid the cost and downtime of taking it to the dealer.
    Thanks - I most likely could do that, but I am also taking care of a few other small things. Glad itís just a $14 part.
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Mine seems to be a little sticky at times- for $14.00 might be worth replacing. Do you have a part number, I couldn't find it in REALOEM?

Mine seems to be a little sticky at times- for $14.00 might be worth replacing. Do you have a part number, I couldn't find it in REALOEM?
    Here:

http://https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partsearch?id=EJ13-USA---E52-BMW-Z8&mg=54&q=61319119052
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Mine quit working too. Need to order one and replace it!
    Thanks,
    Terry
    ALPINA #480/555
    Jet Black/Crema-Black

Hood lights and windshield washers

Quote Originally Posted by Musta10000 View Post
    When are the two lights under the hood supposed to come on? Mine do not come on with hood open with headlights on or off. I may have burned out bulbs or some other issue, but wanted to confirm what the normal operation is.
    hello friends
    my front under-the-hood light AND the windshield washer do not work.
    i checked the fuses (all OK) and also checked that windshield washers and hood lights were wired/powered from the same area (passenger side under the hood) so I guess there is an electric box / fuse who is the culprit.
    All bulbs are ok, power is coming To the hood lights, the push rod switch in the motor compartment seems to work, ... I am lost.

do you have an idea if there is a hidden box / fuses that might be responsible for this ?
    thank you very much
    JC
    60737 - Silver / Red - Performance Package

Jean-Christophe - mine was the very inexpensive switch that was replaced to fix the issue.
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3