Thread: Overheating, water leaks and old rubber coolant lines.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar

Overheating, water leaks and old rubber coolant lines.

I noticed a leak in my coolant system although I've not found the source of the leak. From reading other forums regarding the M5 there are, apparently, hoses under the plenum that are prone to failure due to time/age. Has anyone here had this experience?

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness 2112's Avatar
    Are you seeing a puddle on the floor or coolant level just dropping without explanation?
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Yes, a little. I can drive the car and it does not overheat but when I pull over after a drive I see the coolant level is down. So I know it is losing coolant. I looked all over the engine and could not find a leak but did see water dripping from the plastic pan under the engine.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness 2112's Avatar
    And no water in your oil?
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

No water in oil. That would be bad. I'm sure this is just due to age...rubber hoses being nearly 20 years old now. Will likely just pull the intake manifold and replace all the rubber hoses. M5 forum indicates hoses go bad under there and will leak into the V with water then presumably tricking down but in ways not easily visible from outside.

- - - Updated - - -

A downside to owning an expensive-ish limited edition car is the lack of information.....by comparison there is so much more information/community when it comes to M5 with same engine or even Ferraris where guys seem to like to get their hands dirty

My impression from perusing the M5 forum for several years is that the hoses running inside the intake plenum are oil lines, and when they fail it causes loss of oil. Could be wrong about this, but you may want to double-check. The first place I would be looking for a coolant leak is the radiator, expansion tank, associated hoses, and the water pump. Just my $.02.

All coolant hoses, and I mean all, should be replaced at least every 10 years along with the expansion tank and drive belts. Iíve done this twice on my 2003 Z8 with less than 10k miles.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 Z8 (last one?) - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2017 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver
    2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger / 6-sp. manual)

Quote Originally Posted by ///M Blitz View Post
    All coolant hoses, and I mean all, should be replaced at least every 10 years along with the expansion tank and drive belts. Iíve done this twice on my 2003 Z8 with less than 10k miles.
    Proving again why these cars need to be driven to enjoy them to their fullest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    My impression from perusing the M5 forum for several years is that the hoses running inside the intake plenum are oil lines, and when they fail it causes loss of oil. Could be wrong about this, but you may want to double-check. The first place I would be looking for a coolant leak is the radiator, expansion tank, associated hoses, and the water pump. Just my $.02.
    There are heater hoses in the galley that have a tendency to start to leak which leads to a difficult detection but a definite loss of fluid. I've ordered the three hoses and will replace.