Thread: Small frame update...

Small frame update...

All,

today 2 BMW engineers have examined my Z8 for any damages. They took a couple of photos. Nothing spectacular, and in a very friendly atmosphere.
    Both gentlemen were eager to confirm that BMW is interested in a solution and is indeed working on it.

Some interesting statements:
    • There are already test cars on the road to evaluate possible solutions
    • They are examining strut supports as well as strut braces
    • There are no precise results yet, however, they are working full speed on this
    • Inside of BMW a working group exists populated with high-ranking people to deal with this situation

Concerning repair methods:
    • At this point in time any bending of distorted strut towers is not allowed. However, they are examining, up to which degree of deformation this would be possible.
    • Most important: If a strut tower is "bulged", this does NOT automatically mean that the entire frame will have to be exchanged. There are repair parts available for the front of the car that enable the exchange of one or both sides. Still this must be repaired in one of the centers, but it is much less cost intensive than a frame exchange. I suggested that BMW should issue an official statement about this to inform their customers, since this is the crucial part of our discussions.
    • They also tested replacing the strut tower alone, however, the results were not satisfactory regarding the welding process and quality.

Still a lot of open questions, but they assured me that they will inform me soon about the next steps.
    Best regards, Dieter

Thumbs up Thanks for the update!

That's great news.

I've heard similar information from several sources "in the know". I definitely looks like a solution is forthcoming - including those with existing damage.
    thegunguy

This is great news indeed....

I am thrilled, and am sure that we will have good reason to pop some champagne at the Villa D'Este. It's just a month away today, and I confess that I'm really quite excited for the trip!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I can't wait either...

...I think my wife is more excited about the trip than I am. I'm really looking forward to meeting the guys in Europe, and hopefully BMW will have some final info on the frame issue.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy
    ...I think my wife is more excited about the trip than I am. I'm really looking forward to meeting the guys in Europe, and hopefully BMW will have some final info on the frame issue.
    I'll take you on a little trip with 530 caballitos...if that can raise your excitement that is...
    Best regards, Dieter

DSC Off

Thanks for update, glad to see ball is rolling

sounds like they are seriously investigating the issue and fix, which is fantastic.

Si!

Quote Originally Posted by dwz8
    I'll take you on a little trip with 530 caballitos...if that can raise your excitement that is...
    Don't get me wrong; I'm very excited.
    thegunguy

Team Z8

That's great news.

Looking forward to carefree driving again...Well, as carefree as you can be in LA traffic!

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    That would indeed be excellent news.

I intend to have BMW alling the car to determine if and to what extend I might have a problem.

Enjoy Villa D'Este!

cheers
    Klaus, Z8-NL

Z8Mania
    Thank you Dieter for the update.

And thank you to BMW for working on this.

I do believe that BMW is working hard on this issue. However I am not so optimistic with regard to the timeframe. I. e. considering the limited space for strut braces it seems to me that this is a real challenge for the BMW engineers.