Thread: Storage area in center console

Z8 Novice

Storage area in center console

On the center console, on either side of the parking brake, are two "cubbies" beneath "flip" top covers. The "cubbie" on the drivers side has a cigarette lighter in it. Was there an insert for and ashtray in there? In my Z8 Alpina the plastic in that cubbie is sticky to the touch. Being very retentive I was considering replacing it or having it refurbished at my autobody shop. Funny, this shop services many high end cars, yet, was wary of disassembling the console as he had never done so on a Z8 and didn't want to scratch or damage anything. I saw another thread with the instructions to do so I will show him.

I checked my car, mine has the same "soft touch" textured plastic lining as you describe. Interestingly, the passenger side cubby has a hard, shiny black plastic finish. Never noticed the difference before.

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    I checked my car, mine has the same "soft touch" textured plastic lining as you describe. Interestingly, the passenger side cubby has a hard, shiny black plastic finish. Never noticed the difference before.
    Thanks, the autobody company thought it was a soft texture. I will want to replace the part with the same rather than have him refinish smooth, if possible.

Some at BMW and Porsche will have to explain to me some day why they thought that rubberized material was a good idea.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 Z8 (last one?) - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2017 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver
    2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger / 6-sp. manual)

I think Ferrari is the one that has really an issue with sticky knobs and switchgear. My impression is it can be a fairly expensive fix, and many ferraris from the early 2000's were affected.