Thread: Scan Tool Recommendations

Z8 Novice

Scan Tool Recommendations

In searching the forum, the most recent threads I saw on this topic are from around 2007. As such, I thought I would reach out and see in anyone has any insight into a solid scanner that will work on the Z8. Iím primarily interested in reading and resetting fault codes, etc. I would prefer to have a handheld device vs software on a laptop. My son has a Schwaben scanner that I use on my e60 but it wonít seem to read the Z8. Thanks in advance!

The Peake is the one I know, not sure what else there is out there?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

You may want to register and post on the M5 board as well to ask as the E39 has the same engine.

https://www.m5board.com/
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

I use the "BlueDriver" OBD II scanner. You plug it into the OBD II port, and it reads out any fault codes onto an App you download onto your phone. You can turn off fault codes which in turn will turn off the SES light (at least for a while). Works great.

Z8 Novice
    Thanks Guys. I went to the Peake web site but it seems as though they stopped producing products. Great suggestion to register on the M5 board, Musta10000. I'll do that now. Boomster, really appreciate the heads-up on the BlueDriver system. It looks like just the ticket!

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Hi, I looked at the Bluedriver site and it says 'Engine Diagnostics Only' for the Z8. Does that mean it will not facilitate the clearing of codes once diagnosed and fixed?

No, it clears codes as well. As a matter of fact, I used it yesterday to shut off the SES light which came on after filling up the tank. I think the gas cap was put on incorrectly, after putting the cap back on, the car did not show any codes so I simply shut off the SES warning light. I have used it to clear codes and shut off the SES light on my wife's Mercedes as well as my E39 M5.

awesome... thanks! Just ordered it and priced in CAD $ too - excellent! Hopeful it works on all my modernish cars as my Range Rover check engine light just came on too... ugh!

Received it and it works super well - thanks for the recommendation! Showed that my Camshaft position sensor on intake on bank 1 is faulty so I will investigate and replace if required.