Thread: How fast have you gone in your Z8?

DSC Off

How fast have you gone in your Z8?

Last week I went out with a good friend and retired NASCAR driver who had never driven a Z8.(by the way my gated community is full of well known SCCA national champs, drag NAHRA racers including the all time National Champ,NASCAR drivers and till recently the winner at La mans who drove for ford in the GT 40s in the 60's..nice neighborhood!) Mine is well modified Topaz Z8.

up to 135 just for fun. Well hardtop was on to ship the car the following week so what the heck.

. Straight as a arrow 2.5 lines wide(hurricane evacuation guidelines). NO TRAFFIC! So what the heck. Took it up to 155 still had more (speed limiters are removed) we were both surprised how quick the Z8 was above 90. A car was coming at us (a mile away so we backed off to 70) Rock steady at 155 speed. So whats your speed?

I discovered that the speed limiter doesnít apply to 5th gear... hit redline... 164? Really canít remember what redline was, itís been some years. All I remember is we (the gt 40 I was racing) and I came up on some traffic. Stood on th brakes HARD! Felt like I could get out and walk... was still doing 135! A fond memory indeed!

With the hard top on, during the Silver State Classic closed course road event back in 2002, I got my first Z8, which had some Dinan engine mods up to the redline in 6th. That calculates out to somewhere in the 187-191mph range.

With the soft top down I've gone to the 155mph line several times in short bursts, but it's pretty uncomfortable. I find anything much over 90 to be pretty tiresome in the Z8, but then again to me the greatest joy in it was in the 40-80 range flowing the amazing back roads of SoCal with a group of like-minded owners. Ahhh, so many magical memories created in and by the Z8, it will forever be the car of my life.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    With the hard top on, during the Silver State Classic closed course road event back in 2002, I got my first Z8, which had some Dinan engine mods up to the redline in 6th. That calculates out to somewhere in the 187-191mph range.

With the soft top down I've gone to the 155mph line several times in short bursts, but it's pretty uncomfortable. I find anything much over 90 to be pretty tiresome in the Z8, but then again to me the greatest joy in it was in the 40-80 range flowing the amazing back roads of SoCal with a group of like-minded owners. Ahhh, so many magical memories created in and by the Z8, it will forever be the car of my life.
    Thanks Andrew. Always full of useful info on Z8's.

I so agree Andrew! But even on our trip across the Colorado mountains, which was the most epic, it was more like 80-120 cruising. BTW, never did high speed with the top up. In fact, only put the top up a handful of times in 16 years of bliss.

Team Z8
    148 mph with the top down on a closed runway and it felt like the wind was ripping the hair off my head...won't do that again.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post

One day, sooner than later, you'll back in another one. I can sense it happening!!
    2003 Z8
    2019 GT3 Touring

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness 2112's Avatar
    Mid 140's with the top down. Wind buffeting was pretty insane.

It was on rails. 😎
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

I am not the accomplished driver like many of the folks on this site, but for me blast to triple digits is a no drama event.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Andrew, I still have a photo of my speedo just north of 135 mph top down somewhere near Templeton in one of our many Spring Fling drives.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 Z8 (last one?) - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2017 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver
    2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger / 6-sp. manual)

I hope you werenít the photographer!