1. Compression in 3 cylinders down to 115 PSI
    2. Not a very good repaint
    3. Dash is wraped
    4.Interior is tatty
    5.Clutch is weak?
    6. Needs tires
    7.suspension is rather bouncy
    Wonder what else.
    Just to fix what is wrong with car is around $50,000 on a good day. You still in up with a Z8 with 156000 miles on the odo. What would you pay for this Z8?

No idea... what’s it worth to you? 30-40k? 80-90 after fixes? Or less?

Many Z8 owners, myself included, are hesitant to drive their cars as much as they would like due to reluctance to add miles and for fear of experiencing accident damage, vandalism while unattended, etc. A tired, beat-up car like this allows one to daydream about a second Z8 that could be driven on a daily basis without these concerns. With future collectibility a non-issue, you could throw a good used S62 motor into this thing for $5-6k, simultaneously addressing the clutch and other ancillary things like the cooling system for a nominal additional amount. With a set of new tires and a few other fixes, you could be back on the road for under $10k. So what is a good running, cosmetically challenged, high mileage Z8 worth? My thought would be around $80k all in. So I could be a buyer at $70k. Seems unlikely that the seller would let it go for that.

Sport Button On
    I agree with you Boomster on the price. Of the 3 Z's i own 2 were purchased from the long term 2nd owner with mileage in the 20's so i could drive them and enjoy without worrying about destroying the value. The one rare Z8 one owner i own has less then 5000 miles and is a Stratus // Red-Black,only 12 were made. I tend to drive that one maybe a 100 or so miles during the summer where the other 2 will put 1500 miles on each every year between Naples and Cleveland. I was tempted to buy the red one for sale. Siting on a lot of parts due to the conversion of a Topaz z8 to Euro Alpina suspension. By the way the dealer sounds as if they have had the red Z8 for all most a year in their inventory.When do you bite the bullet and get you money out of it? A side note I have a wonderful shipper in Naples Florida with enclosed semis. In Cleveland all the high end car dealers use this company including Goldmans.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness
    This would make for a great project car. Imagine being able to paint it to your liking and redoing the interior (I would go with the EU blue Alpina color theme). You see all these YouTube builders paying 100+K for a salvage/total-loss Lamborghini/Ferraris and fix them up. So, at 70-80, this would be a good buy.
    2003 Z8
    2019 GT3 Touring
    https://www.instagram.com/tgivargis/

I remember that there was someone on the forum who wanted a Z8 in need of work to setup up to his own specifications. Maybe this could be his car, but not at $115k.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Looks like a pretty decent car to me. Worth resurrecting.

It is funny about desirable cars and their values once you inlclude the project cars.

I could come up with several examples of cars I love but it is the trend I find common amongst pretty much all of them.

lets say a car with a Haggerty #1 has a value of $200-$225,000 showroom quality.

super nice #2 & #3 cars range from $150-$190,000. Drivers, but nice ones, but driven

then #4 or #5 driven hard and put away wet cars trade for $100-$110,000 even though the cost to make them #1 cars is $150,000

the math never adds up and yet the low end cars wait less time to find their buyers than the top cars. I attribute it to the wishful (or maybe even delusional) thinking that "I can buy my dream car cheap, restore it easily and come out ahead of the game".

certain dealers make this end of the used desirable car market their forte. It works because the dream is so consistently present even tho they rarely come to fruition. I believe these used-up-dream car dealers do quite well actually.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

When we bought Nancy Drew at 98,000 miles, it was to get a Z8 that could be driven. Fortunately, I had a friendly Z8 guru who prepared a spreadsheet of everything the car needed; he subsequently replaced everything related to the cooling system—including an aluminum radiator, probably Zionsville—and just about everything under the car, putting it on Euro Alpina suspension pieces. (We did miss the center driveshaft support bearing, which led to an interesting cascade of events a year later; let me just say that Z8 driveshafts and CV joints can be rebuilt—twice.) The previous owner had taken great care of the car—thanks, Dan!—and the values were such in 2015 that we were offered $180,000 for the car, but that may have been the wine talking. The 30,000 miles we have added since 2015 probably do not diminish the value much, although the hood needs some paint correction; Blackstone has given the oil a clean bill of health every time. I have a friend who restores BMWs and creates interesting project cars. His first rule is "Never add up the receipts." That's the way I feel about Nancy Drew. I will replace the windshield AGAIN before I drive to South Carolina, and I will attend to the paint issue on the hood, not to increase the value of the "investment" but because when you neglect one or two little things, the car goes to hell in a hurry. And since my mission is to share Nancy Drew with as many members of the BMW CCA as possible—I keep meeting people who have never seen one in the wild—she deserves to be kept up. Hence the Ceramic Pro and a layer of Xpel film. Now, as to the car in question, Pendrod says, "Just to fix what is wrong with car is around $50,000 on a good day. You still in up with a Z8 with 156000 miles on the odo." Um... Fifty Large? The S62 is a seriously robust engine, although it sounds like this one needs rings or valve guides. Rebuilding engines is not exactly rocket science (although your machinist hopes you think it is). For that kind of money you could buy one of Stevie D's Daytona Prototype engines and have some real fun. This looks to me like a great project for somebody with modest or better skills. I would think that if this car could be obtained at under $100,000, it has the potential to be a relatively stable driver about twenty grand later.

- - - Updated - - -

And I am sorry that I seem to have lost the ability to SEPARATE PARAGRAPHS. No access to emojis, either. My life is simply a tragedy.

Up here, a top of the line glass-out painting with new seals starts at $25,000. Add bodywork and special needs to that.
    2000 Red over black

How much is BMW classic charging fo “the whole she-bang” resto? 80-100? And you could get any color paint and leather. A true one-off.

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    How much is BMW classic charging fo “the whole she-bang” resto? 80-100? And you could get any color paint and leather. A true one-off.
    ^^ This is something I would like to know as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post

Didn't even know they offered this service on the "modern" cars.
    2000 Red over black

I think a full redo at BMW Classic is closer to 150k, but I don't know to what extent they do the motor?

I did say that I think this car is too far gone, and not worth the $$ you'd spend to make it perfect - my guess is well north of 125k.

I'd say spend 180 on a great car, and then if you want to do a project, do it with the paint & interior and you'll have a great car in a unique color combo.

If I won the lotto I'd do a 507 color combo, either the gunmetal metallic/red on at the BMW museum or the gorgeous Surtees car that just soldier $3M recently. (both in the 507 thread over here.)
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

If I could, I would do Alpina blue over a solid dark red interior, no black except the upper dash leather.
    2000 Red over black

Sport Button On
    I wonder how a Z8 would look in Alpina Green. It's about the only green that looks good to me. Interior would have to be black, maybe with Green or Blue Alpina-style piping.

Sport Button On
    Like this one at the Alpina showroom.