Thread: Transmission

Z8 Novice

Transmission

Is it possible to replace a syncro in the manual transmission? I am told that you have to buy a whole new trany for $8,000.

That's a question I have never heard asked. I would imagine it can be done, but maybe the time-cost of doing it is greater than the replacement cost, which is why only a replacement cost is quoted?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

If you go to bmw for a transmission problem, they will just replace the whole unit. My 750li was $13,000😵. I should have gone to Midas for a repair!

It is my understanding that these transmissions cannot be rebuilt. However, they are the same transmission as used in the E39 M5 and therefore are fairly easily obtained in used, good working condition. This gentleman has a business parting out E39 M5s, I have used him for a few small things on my M5 and he has a very solid reputation on the M5 forum. If he doesn't have one on hand, he almost certainly will be getting one. I believe a good usable one will generally sell for about $1k.http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/par...all-times.html

I haven't checked this to make sure, but it's a pretty safe bet that you would be buying a reconditioned unit, not a new one. You will also have to give BMW your transmission as part of the deal so that they can recondition it and sell it on to the next guy. BMW just does the reconditioning centrally rather than having local garages try to do this. And no one would open up a transmission to replace just one synchro. You would replace them all while it's dismantled.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

It is in fact a reconditioned unit...see the part where it says "exchange" http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=23_1205 I did some googling and it looks like neither BMW nor Getrag will sell the parts needed to do a reconditioning, so you're going to have to buy your reconditioned unit from BMW.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Same policy BMW had on the supercharger (designed to fail at 60,000 miles) on the MINI Cooper S I bought new back in '02.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    While on the subject of the modern MINI, I spent some time behind the wheel of the original Morris MINI 1971-1972 time frame. IIRC the floor was flat and the seats were chair like so the shifting stick was quite long. Memories from almost 50 years ago...Phil