Thread: Power steering

Power steering

I have had my 2000 Z8 for about 8 months and added a couple of thousand miles - now 15k in total. I am a perfectionist and have already spent thousands at BMW sorting small but fastidious issues (back cover to passenger seat, vibrating left and right indicators, scratched internal handles, some missing parts, etc). Love the car ... apart from the steering. I find it very heavy and with little feeling (I have semi new Pilot Sports in the right size and have tried different pressures), so much so to affect the pleasure of driving. My other car is a GT3 Touring and I don't expect the same kind of feeling ... but the difference is staggering. I have been told to try changing the fluid, to change the power steering with a later 2002/03 version, try new tires, etc. I wonder if anyone has had the same problem and may have a better suggestion.
    Thank you!

I can only tell you that I do not shared the same issue with my 2001, which I have owned for 6 years and have put roughly 6k miles on during that time, nor have I heard this discussed as a common Z8 problem. My DD is a Boxster, and while the Boxster is clearly a lighter, more nimble machine, the difference in steering feel and weight are appropriate. I have never heard that later versions had a different power steering unit. Start with the easy thing first, change the fluid and if that doesn't help, go from there. Good luck, once you get it sorted you will love your Z8!

Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    I can only tell you that I do not shared the same issue with my 2001, which I have owned for 6 years and have put roughly 6k miles on during that time, nor have I heard this discussed as a common Z8 problem. My DD is a Boxster, and while the Boxster is clearly a lighter, more nimble machine, the difference in steering feel and weight are appropriate. I have never heard that later versions had a different power steering unit. Start with the easy thing first, change the fluid and if that doesn't help, go from there. Good luck, once you get it sorted you will love your Z8!
    Thank you!

The steering is very different compared to a Porsche. Not worse - just different in nature. My daily driver is a 2015 Targa 4S and prior to that I had a 2011 4S and before that a 1999 Boxster. I have driven my Z8 a lot, more than most, (75,000 miles since 2005) and have had it on many road trips and on many back roads with and without the local PCA chapter as I at times take on the club drives as opposed taking to my Porsche. It is not as nimble, quick, and precise as the Porsche and it certainly has a little heavier feel, especially in tight curves when compared to the Porsche. However, it should not feel so heavy that it is distracting. I do not recall anyone making negative comments about the steering on these forums so I do hope that there is a fix to your car that will make it more to your liking and that it is not just the difference in the steering itself. Obviously the easiest way to determine that would be if you could drive another Z8 to compare, but seeing that you are from New York, it mat not be an easy thing to do at this time of the year. Good luck with your quest to figure this out - keep us posted on what you find out!
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

I too have had Porsche’s at the same time as my Z8 (Z8 16 yrs, now gone). Gt3, gt3RS, Cayman s, Cayman “RS” track car currently, and 981 Spyder DD. I tracked my Z8 aggressively, and street dove/toured the Z8 very aggressively as well. While many here have talked about the Z8 steering, it’s mostly about the slower rack, and yes, a little heavy... not an issue at speed, but noticeable parking etc. I must say the Porsche’s of late, have gotten too light in feel. My 997gt3 and 987s feel very different from the 2016 Spyder, which has the electric steering, and less “granular feel” of the road surface. I prefer the heavier feel, but would have liked to have the Z8 rack be a bit quicker. In reality, when stepping out of one and into the other, your brain will adapt quickly... it’s just the first few minutes. I doubt you have a mechanical problem.

Thank you all for feedback.

Is there anyone with a Z8 in NYC or Long Island / Hamptons with whom I can compare the power steering?