Thread: Has Anyone Actually Experienced Cracking?

Z8 Novice

Has Anyone Actually Experienced Cracking?

I have been told on numerous occasions that the shock tower mount area deforming isnít that big of an issue and that it can almost always be repaired by any competent body shop. I did however watch the Doug Demuro video last night in which he stated that the Z8 he was reviewing had the performance package installed due to many Z8ís being the subject of frame cracking. I have never seen a case of this happening and I was wondering if any of you guys have seen it either?

Hereís a link to an Audi R8 having an actual cracked aluminum frame:
    https://youtu.be/eIsW_oNLZjM

Yes, it can happen and I've seen it with my own eyes, even on an Alpina with the more compliant suspension. However it has always been the result a very severe impact, such as skidding into a curb, or hitting a massive hidden pothole or bad construction join at speed.

The shock tower doming and associated top frame rail crimping that causes the hood misalignment is more common. That said, out of the 45-50 Z8's I've known well from our club runs and events, only two sustained cracking at the bottom of the shock tower dome supports. Both those cars that were damaged hitting hidden potholes hit at considerable speed. None of the other cars showed any issues at all, and they were all continuously driven very enthusiastically. Of the countless cars I have now inspected, maybe 8 or 9 have had the shock tower crowns domed, but as they were used cars I have no idea how that damage occurred.

With the hindsight of almost twenty years around these cars, I would say it is a weakness in the chassis design that was really brought into focus by the first generation of run flat tires that were both heavy and had no sidewall flex. Overall it has appeared so infrequently that I'd honestly say it isn't something to worry about.

The best peace of mind solution is fitting the EU Alpina suspension with H&R stiffer swaybars, the Performance Package and the latest Michelin Pilot Sport tires.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I concur the run-flats were a very large factor. I removed them at around 900 miles due to their insanely poor ride quality. IMO, they felt like concrete tires.

I consider myself lucky that I did. I did hit a pothole after the swap and no damage, but I was only going 50mph.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Today I went to Braman BMW in West Palm Beach, FL to inquire about the performance package.
    After some consultation between service and parts, I was advised that BMW no longer makes/supplies the performance package.

Advice?

Ferris

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Hi Ferris,

The PP is is sold in separate parts and not as a package.
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Z8 Novice
    ^^ That is too funny. Do you by any chance have the part numbers?

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

I saw a picture of Alpina that had a unique upper plate (has a #C pointed at it in the diagram linked above (#c is actually a nut)).

It appeared to be cast or CNC aluminum, not stamped steel like those I typically see.

wondered if it wasn't a newer design?
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Sport Button On
    Just had a competition package installed last week. Any questions talk with Matt Carver at Peter Pan BMW.