Thread: Exhaust Options

Sport Button On

Exhaust Options

Iíve had the Z8 for a few years now and would like to start doing some minor modifications starting with an aftermarket exhaust system. In my opinion the exhaust is too quiet for a weekend car. I want to hear the S62! Let me know what you guys have and whether or not youíre satisfied with your choice.

Here is a video (not my best work...) I did in 2014 right after installing mine. I do also believe that It did also gor a little raspier/deeper in tone after driving the car for about 300-500 miles. I am very happy with mine - just enough sound without being obnoxious.

https://youtu.be/KQS9V-52Y58
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Meisterschaft!

been meaning to post this here for a while...a few months ago I bought an inspection camera and stuck it into the exhaust (I have Meisterschaft Titanium GT "mufflers"). There is ZERO sound attenuation from these mufflers...it's just a straight pipe, no perforations of the internal pipe at all. You might as well stick a straight pipe on and save yourself 4,000 USD and kgs of weight. I can't believe I spent extra for the titanium version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Wow, thatís crazy! I always meant to try those on, and off, to see if it sounded any different! Maybe for $5,000 theyíll send you a titanium straight pipe!

Sport Button On
    Good info guys! I think I might have an an exhaust shop here in town to fab up a custom set up if that is the case with the meisterschaft. Itís sounds amazing!

Norcal, I recall you were trying to sell a complete system. Is it still available?

Sorry, all my stuff is sold.

Sport Button On
    I see. Have you found a worthy replacement for the Z8?

Quote Originally Posted by ZMates View Post
    been meaning to post this here for a while...a few months ago I bought an inspection camera and stuck it into the exhaust (I have Meisterschaft Titanium GT "mufflers"). There is ZERO sound attenuation from these mufflers...it's just a straight pipe, no perforations of the internal pipe at all. You might as well stick a straight pipe on and save yourself 4,000 USD and kgs of weight. I can't believe I spent extra for the titanium version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very Interesting.

You had a bunch of interesting projects going on, did you wrap them all up?
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    Very Interesting.You had a bunch of interesting projects going on, did you wrap them all up?
    Sigh......I decided to buy a 300 year old house in Portugal. Been waiting 4 years for permission to start the rehabilitation project. It's a protected building so the beaurocracy has been extensive, but I never imagined it would take this long. I hope to start in March and then by the end of next year I should have 400m2 of garage/workshop space to have fun with.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Quote Originally Posted by ZMates View Post
    Sigh......I decided to buy a 300 year old house in Portugal. Been waiting 4 years for permission to start the rehabilitation project. It's a protected building so the beaurocracy has been extensive, but I never imagined it would take this long. I hope to start in March and then by the end of next year I should have 400m2 of garage/workshop space to have fun with.
    oh, I understand, I am in a similar situation. I decided to tear down/rebuild my house on oceanside property which has all the environmental factors amped up on testosterone.

Permitting was a 6 ($$$) year affair as the resident Orca has just been listed as endangered.

Once started, I learned that one with OCD might be better suited to not even come near the project until completion. Cutting corners, the standard operating procedure in construction doesn't fly for me.

Several years ago, ahem, I ended up shifting from general contractor to doing almost everything myself. All of my other passions have taken a very distant back seat.....I am almost done ...I am told it is worth it.

400 square meters of shop space should definitely make it worthwhile for you. 😎
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

@z8911, I ordered a 2016 porsche Boxter Spyder, and have been enjoying it since. It is roomier, has a little more HP but a little less TQ. The last hurrah for the naturally aspirated flat 6 (in a non-Gt car). It and the gt4 have the larger 3.8L out of the carrera S. Midengine, Carbon fiber race buckets, beautiful design, and a sweet 6 speed manual. They only brought about 300 to the US (one year only). About 2 or 3 in my combo, agate grey over classic red leather and black alcantara. Not the Z8, but better in many ways... but not a Z8!

Hi Ian, sounds like one of the last great classic drivetrains. I'm sure you must be enjoying it.So glad you're staying on with us here.Ted

Iíve seen and heard Ianís Boxster Spyder during a recent drive and it is spectacular.

The home remodels sound amazing and make me feel better about our 4 year wait through the design review and permitting process for our green field home.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Quote Originally Posted by Bend View Post
    Hi Ian, sounds like one of the last great classic drivetrains. I'm sure you must be enjoying it.So glad you're staying on with us here.Ted
    After 17 years, how do I leave my friends behind? Nope... Z8 is part of who I am forever.

So happy to hear it Ian, we did so many of the drives of my life together!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Norcal, the feeling is mutual my friend.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 Z8 (last one?) - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2017 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver
    2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger / 6-sp. manual)

As my Z4 M roadster is right at 60,000, I have been spending the week preparing it for a friend who will be driving it in an autocross on Saturday. Spent most of Monday replacing rotors, pads, and brake lines front and rear, finally getting the rotors out of my garage where they've been sitting for two years. Now we'll adjust the valves and attend to the fluids: diff, transmission, and engine oil. We'll flush the cooling system and pour in a 50:50 mix of BMW antifreeze and distilled water, and flush the brake system again after we replace the intermediate SS lines that somehow didn't show up with the ECS kit on the first go-'round. And of course I need to stop by the other garage and pay my respects to Nancy Drew so she doesn't get in a snit over all the attention pain to the Z4.

Sport Button On
    NorCal, congratulations on finding the Spyder. Iíve never driven a spyder or a gt4, but I hear they are an absolute blast- especially with the top down! Currently Iím trying to get an allocation for the new speedster so that I can hopefully drive a new car without getting burnt by depreciation (something I love about Porscheís and the Z8). My daily driver at the moment is a 996 Turbo- a wonderful car, but not a Z8!

Let us know, and post pics if you get the speedster!

Sport Button On
    Will do. Itís not looking good at the moment though, but weíll see.