Thread: Metal Nozzle falls into gas tank... BMW

DSC Off

Metal Nozzle falls into gas tank... BMW

Have a question which is not a Z8 question but a BMW 645 question but could be applicable to all cars. I have a BMW 645 with 7500 miles, and i absolutely love the car. I was preparing the car for winter storage, and when i was putting Stabil into the gas tank. I was using a metal nozzle, and the tip of the metal nozzle...about an inch long, and say half inch diameter fell in the tank. Two questions...how do i get it out? Is this something I should be worried about ...remove the tank to get it out...not sure how big a deal this is. Any suggestions?

Sandy

A long strand with a magnet?

The easiest way I can think of to get it out would be with a pair of magnets. You'll need a powerful one to slide under the tank to bring it into a position where a stick magnet can get it through the gas cap.

I'm not sure that it's a good idea to leave it in there as it could either rust, or react with the other metals used in the gauges etc to do some mischief, but I'm not expert, so can't swear to it either way.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    Yes i am concerned about leaving the metal piece in the tank long term. this car is a long term keeper for me. Reached out to BMW in our town today, they said it will be a massive expense to remove the tank.. did not give me a number...and they suggested just leave it in there, due to the cost. Not sure about that. I will try the 2 magnet approach, and i am hoping this metal nozzle will be attracted by the magnets. thanks for the suggestions. Sandy

Maybe get another of the same tins/nozzles and experiment in the kitchen sink.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Maybe get another of the same tins/nozzles and experiment in the kitchen sink.
    I will do that Andrew. Thank you! Sandy