Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Soft Top headliner and rear window

  1. #1
    Z8 Novice
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    23

    Soft Top headliner and rear window

    I just bought my 2nd Z8. A red one. Top needs a new headliner and rear plastic window.

    anyone have any luck with the following from EBAY on a new top and or new plastic window?

    any other direction for replacement? I am told BMW wants 1800 for the plastic window and 2300 for the headliner alone...

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Z8-Cabr...-0PX:rk:3:pf:1


    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Z8-Conv...S!-1:rk:2:pf:1

  2. #2
    Z8 Millennial Monster 2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,144
    I bought the rear window based on another forum member's recommendation. Looks good, but no BMW identifiers anywhere.

    I have yet to install it. Mostly because I am not sure to to have do it in my area.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

  3. #3
    Z8 Novice
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    23
    here is the other place I looked up. anyone have any luck with a full top from any of these guys?

    http://www.ck-cabrio.com/shop-conver...-z8-2000-2003/

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by rajn72 View Post
    here is the other place I looked up. anyone have any luck with a full top from any of these guys? http://www.ck-cabrio.com/shop-conver...-z8-2000-2003/
    I purchased a top complete with window from the Cabriowebshop about a year ago, but without the headliner. I believe they are an OEM supplier of these tops to BMW, the window has the BMW logo and part number. Fit and finish were great. I think you can buy it somewhat cheaper on EBAY than what they show on their website. Hope this helps.

  5. #5
    Z8 Millennial Monster Z-acht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,057
    Cabriowebshop buys the top from the original BMW supplier. I heard another positive review from another owner last month
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    I purchased a top complete with window from the Cabriowebshop about a year ago, but without the headliner. I believe they are an OEM supplier of these tops to BMW, the window has the BMW logo and part number. Fit and finish were great. I think you can buy it somewhat cheaper on EBAY than what they show on their website. Hope this helps.
    Great information! Dis you use the old headliner and how difficult was that to remove/attach? Also, where were you able to get the installation done and if you can share at what cost?
    Skip Hammerman

    2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

  7. #7
    I used a local auto upholstery/top place in northern NJ that has a very good reputation, there were several high end cars in the shop at the same time. The owner did tell me that the installation turned out to be one of the more difficult ones he has undertaken, but I am very pleased with the end result. I believe the charge for installation was $1400.00 (he held to his quote despite the difficulties), and I think I paid around $2,000.00 for the top/window from Cabriolet shop (I am away so cannot confirm the exact amount, but fairly confident of the price +/- $200.00). He did re-use the old headliner, and did not specifically mention this as a problem. Frankly, I didn't think to buy a replacement liner, I might have done so if I had thought of it, as it is not as taut as I imagine a new one might be.

  8. #8
    Z8 Millennial Monster 2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,144
    Reading the cabriowebshop information page, it looks like the have improved the rear window and eliminated the string system.

    Nice.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

  9. #9
    Z8 Novice
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    23
    Just ordered the cabrio soft top with headliner and window... comes as one package. They will ship it to me in a few weeks and I'll get lonestar Bavarian in ft. Worth to install it... will let you know how it goes... the top has come highly reccomended...

  10. #10
    Z8 Millennial Monster 2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,144
    Is the package $3240?

    They are in Germany, correct? I ask cause they have several pics of California on the website.

    Looking forward to your report.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

  11. #11
    Team Z8 zed8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    354
    I ordered from cabriowebshop as well. I received the top with the wimdow BMW logo stamped on it. Well packed and no problem. Those guys in Netherlands were really helpful.
    Hattat

    AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

    PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

  12. #12
    Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    214
    I used an aftermarket top from GAHH. It has held up with no issues and is high quality.

  13. #13
    Z8 Novice
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    23
    2000 euro and I opted no BMW logo... will let you know how it looks and installs...

    Looking for wheels now... all for my new red car...

  14. #14
    Z8 Novice
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    23
    got my red car back.. top looks perfect. According to installer (Lonestar) it was a pain to install.. car looks perfect... on to wheels, and tail lights.
    raj

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by rajn72 View Post
    got my red car back.. top looks perfect. According to installer (Lonestar) it was a pain to install.. car looks perfect... on to wheels, and tail lights.
    raj
    When I had my top done a couple of years ago, the installer also commented on how difficult it was to install. Said it was one of the most difficult ones he had done.

  16. #16
    Z8 Novice
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    23
    with proper care... and cleaning, it should last 20 years. My silver Z8 top is always up and engaged.. .it has lasted 19 years so far with no issues... my red car that I bought (the previous owner left the top down). that caused the head liner and back plastic to get damaged.... my shop did tell me they can replace the liner only as well.. raj

  17. #17
    Z8 Novice
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    2

    Which upholstery shop?

    Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    I used a local auto upholstery/top place in northern NJ that has a very good reputation, there were several high end cars in the shop at the same time. The owner did tell me that the installation turned out to be one of the more difficult ones he has undertaken, but I am very pleased with the end result. I believe the charge for installation was $1400.00 (he held to his quote despite the difficulties), and I think I paid around $2,000.00 for the top/window from Cabriolet shop (I am away so cannot confirm the exact amount, but fairly confident of the price +/- $200.00). He did re-use the old headliner, and did not specifically mention this as a problem. Frankly, I didn't think to buy a replacement liner, I might have done so if I had thought of it, as it is not as taut as I imagine a new one might be.
    Hello. I have a 2002 black/black cream which needs rear window replaced. Can u provide me with name of the shop u used? Also pls confirm where you purchased the window.Thx!!

  18. #18
    You can get the OEM rear window from here getBMWparts.com and I believe you will also need the repair kit which was not available at gerBMWparts.com but at least shows up at Turner (part# 54-34-7-075-904)

    https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...ow-54347004457

    https://www.turnermotorsport.com/Sea...%0954347075904

    As an alternative here is the complete top that I believe a few here have installed with good results (just a little more than just the OEM plastic rear window! says it comes with the headliner as well.

    https://gahh.com/convertible-tops/ca...plastic-window
    Skip Hammerman

    2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

  19. #19
    I purchased a new top and rear window as a unit from Cabriowebshop in the Netherlands. However, they do sell the rear window as a separate piece. The window which I purchased came with the BMW logo and markings embossed into the plastic, so I believe it came from an OEM BMW supplier. https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Z8-Cabrio-100-ORIGINAL-OEM-plastic-zipper-window-for-softtop-E52/132384547911?fits=Model%3AZ8%7CMake%3ABMW&hash=item1ed2bbe447:g:GkEAAOSwytJZ-0PX:rk:3f:1


    For the installation, I used an auto upholstery and convertible top installer local to me in northern New Jersey. I am presently at my home in Florida and do not have my Z8 file with me, but if you think you might want to use them I can track down the information for you.

    Bill

  20. #20
    Bill - thatís a great price for the window!
    Skip Hammerman

    2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

  21. #21
    Z8 Novice
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    I purchased a new top and rear window as a unit from Cabriowebshop in the Netherlands. However, they do sell the rear window as a separate piece. The window which I purchased came with the BMW logo and markings embossed into the plastic, so I believe it came from an OEM BMW supplier. https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Z8-Cabrio-100-ORIGINAL-OEM-plastic-zipper-window-for-softtop-E52/132384547911?fits=Model%3AZ8%7CMake%3ABMW&hash=item1ed2bbe447:g:GkEAAOSwytJZ-0PX:rk:3f:1
    If

    For the installation, I used an auto upholstery and convertible top installer local to me in northern New Jersey. I am presently at my home in Florida and do not have my Z8 file with me, but if you think you might want to use them I can track down the information for you.

    Bill
    The name of yhe shop would be wonderful! Thx very much for your help.

  22. #22
    The shop is Creative Auto Interiors in Butler, NJ. http://www.creativeautointeriors.com/ Are you in the vicinity? If so, we should connect once the roads are back in shape.

    Bill

  23. #23
    DSC Off
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    84

    Soft top headliner

    2 years now since I replaced my soft top headliner. The old headliner glue and foam had failed the the liner was very wrinkled. For cost reasons, I went with the CK Cabrio headliner and am very happy. Headliner is not the same as the original, the fabric having a finer weave and a more tailored look. I recommend this over the OEM replacement which may have long been sitting on the factory shelf deteriorating.

    Steve

  24. #24
    Steve- their complete top is also very reasonably priced (as is the headliner). Here is another company (GAHH) that makes tops for the Z8 that apparently are very good as well. I believe someone here purchased one from them and they were very pleased. They do not sell the headliner separately. Both SIGNIFICANTLY more reasonable than OEM.

    https://gahh.com/bmw-z8-roadster-200...plastic-window
    Skip Hammerman

    2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Similar Threads

  1. Soft top window thread
    By KenZ8 in forum Body, Interior and Exterior
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: April 1st 2017, 18:54
  2. Soft top window thread
    By KenZ8 in forum Problems, Solutions and Long Term Maintenance
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: July 31st 2016, 04:27
  3. Soft top seperating from rear window?
    By jordanegan44 in forum Problems, Solutions and Long Term Maintenance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 17th 2015, 21:53
  4. What is the soft top rear window part number?
    By BigGar in forum Body, Interior and Exterior
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 27th 2014, 22:07
  5. Soft top rear window
    By kengeorge in forum Z8 Chat Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: October 11th 2008, 16:33