Thread: Performance Package

Z8 Novice

Performance Package

My Alpina is at the Naples BMW dealer attending to a new starter and I asked them about the cost to install the suspension performance package to thwart any potential damage. The advisor, Chuck, stated that they can't put the performance package on an Alpina without significant work and cutting into some structure to do so. This doesn't sound correct, is there any substantive difference between the Alpina and the other Z8's that would prevent the package from being installed? I do drive the car each week yet am particularly careful with it...thoughts? Suggestions?

Signed, confused in Florida

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    The Alpina Performance kit is slightly different to the Z8 one: it has different airbox brackets. The Z8 version did not need any cutting so I think the Alpina bracket does not need either. I saw one yesterday but I did not see any sign of "cutting"
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    The Alpina has softer suspension and 'normal' tires for which the frame was designed, and the performance package is a bit of an overkill. Having said that, no significant work or cutting is required to install the Alpina specific performance package on the Alpina. Scary thought that the SA tells you that. Time to pick up your car and bring it somewhere else, like Braman in Miami? Regarding the starter, I went through 4 or 5 BMW replacement starters (always the same click-click solenoid issues). Finally, I took it to my independent mechanic, got the BOSCH starter from a different source (new in the box). Haven't had an issue since.

Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

DSC Off
    Had one installed a year on a Alpina by Matt Carver at Peter Pan BMW in San Fransisco. Straight forward no cutting. Have them call Matt and ask him how he does it.

DSC Off
    Had one installed a year on a Alpina by Matt Carver at Peter Pan BMW in San Fransisco. Straight forward no cutting. Have them call Matt and ask him how he does it.

"Performance package"

Perhaps someone will contradict me but I don't think that the cross bar member of the "performance" package is necessary to protect the shock strut tower. The bolt down disks (shown in the DirkZ8 photo above) are all that is needed. I believe that the inclusion of the cross bar part of the "performance" package was a political move by BMW to avoid admitting the weakness in the design of the aluminum shock tower. But the cross bar should stiffen the engine cage and improve handling somewhat. I did have the full "performance" package put on my Z8 but if I were putting the "performance" package on today I'd just put the disks on the shock towers. Normal, careful driving without the "performance" package should not deform the shock towers. But hitting a big pot hole or a curb with a bit of speed could cause some damage. However, from a resale viewpoint, perhaps the full "performance" package would be best. YMMV Phil

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkZ8 View Post
    The Alpina has softer suspension and 'normal' tires for which the frame was designed, and the performance package is a bit of an overkill. Having said that, no significant work or cutting is required to install the Alpina specific performance package on the Alpina. Scary thought that the SA tells you that. Time to pick up your car and bring it somewhere else, like Braman in Miami? Regarding the starter, I went through 4 or 5 BMW replacement starters (always the same click-click solenoid issues). Finally, I took it to my independent mechanic, got the BOSCH starter from a different source (new in the box). Haven't had an issue since.
    Just for clarification, the Naples BMW service advisor stated the performance suspension they looked at would require some adjustments or cutting to install on the Alpina and advised AGAINST it. Just did't want anyone to think their first inclination was to break out a sawzall or grinder!

I do think the crossbar is required, or at least helps. Some of the damaged cars I saw had separation down near the bottom of the frame, not just the “domeing” at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark0 View Post
    Just for clarification, the Naples BMW service advisor stated the performance suspension they looked at would require some adjustments or cutting to install on the Alpina and advised AGAINST it. Just did't want anyone to think their first inclination was to break out a sawzall or grinder!
    Mark - I just saw this beautiful Alpina at Germain BMW.

Z8 Novice
    Looking good, thanks for the pic! Can't wait to get it home. Note the caps missing on the lockable lug nuts! If it's not one thing it's another.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark0 View Post
    Looking good, thanks for the pic! Can't wait to get it home. Note the caps missing on the lockable lug nuts! If it's not one thing it's another.
    I had the performance package installed on my Alpina years ago and there was NO cutting required but I believe there was a slight difference as someone said earlier. Go for it.
    Thanks,
    Terry
    ALPINA #480/555
    Jet Black/Crema-Black

Z8 Novice
    Hi all. I'm a former owner and forum member, turned current owner again. Bought an '03 over the weekend and it doesn't have the PP 👀... Can I just order that through my local dealership? Also, do I need the strut/brace or can I just go with the plates that go on the domes?Also, any thoughts on inspecting it before I officially drive it off the dealer's lot? Should I hire someone to do a thorough physical/mechanical inspection?

DSC Off
    In theory any BMW should be able to order the performance package. In practice good luck. i have used Matt Carver twice to order the part and once from a BMW dealer who was selling the Z8. As has been mentioned the Alpina or the Z8 will take the part. The Alpina must have a censor box moved out of the way...a 2 minuet job. Where is the car at? In Naples area Germain does a very good job on Z8's , In ca Peter Pan is the best.

Z8 Novice
    I'm in CT now. I used to have my prior Z8 serviced at Germain when I lived in Naples. Yes, they're very good. I'll reach out to my local guy and see what he says.

DSC Off
    https://www.bmwdarien.com/ Did the competition on a Z8 I purchased last year from them. Nice job.

Z8 Novice
    May I ask what they charged you to install it? I was quoted about $1,000 for the parts. Haven't heard back yet on labor.

Similar to Pendrod reply. Had one installed two years ago on a Alpina by Matt Carver at Peter Pan BMW in San Francisco before vehicle head down to Australia. Straight forward no cutting. Have them call Matt and ask him how he does it.

LLZ8

Performance Package

Quote Originally Posted by TheJQ View Post
    I'm in CT now. I used to have my prior Z8 serviced at Germain when I lived in Naples. Yes, they're very good. I'll reach out to my local guy and see what he says.
    I had a performance package put on my 2001 Z8 about 6 years ago by Ray Catena BMW in White Plains.They have a Z8 tech guy, John Warren. It cost about $2,000. I recommend him.Sorry for the late response. Just saw your post.Larry

Larry
    2001/Silver/Red-Black

DSC Off
    Another Z8 protected from death. Just got my car back today from having the performance package installed at Rochester NY BMW. They (senior tech Pat) did a nice job and I could feel the difference on the way home. Anyway will be nice to not worry about the possible damage. Also did a bunch of maintenance and switched to the Wolf 10/60 oil which quieted down the Vanos at idle.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness 2112's Avatar
    Wolf 10w 60. Hadn't heard of it so I looked it up

https://www.wolflubes.com/EN_EU/prod...aspx?cat=17563

interesting that it is a semi synthetic.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

DSC Off
    Sorry, I don't know where in my brain that came from, guess I was tired. I used the LiquiMoly 10/60 which of course is full synthetic. Apologies. Did have a great day touring about 150 miles in the car today.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness 2112's Avatar
    I need to get out more, not familiar with Liqui Moly either. I need to bone up on oils.

https://products.liqui-moly.com/synt...-10w-60-1.html
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

I have been using Liqui -Moly 10w-60 in my 2002 E39 M5 for several years now with absolutely no issues. It is made in Germany and has been well accepted by the E39 M5 crowd as fully equivalent to Castrol TWS 10w-60.