Thread: Seat back clips

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Seat back clips

The plastic backing of my drivers and passenger seat back has separated from the seat. There have been a couple of threads walking through steps to fix this problem. But several of the clips have already gone through this repair process and have now broken. It appears that BMW is no longer carrying these clips from what my dealer found. Is anyone aware of where we can still order these clips and how much they cost. As an alternative, I am seriously considering having them 3D printed. At least this way if others run into the same problem and are not able to purchase the clips, we will have another place to purchase them.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    License Plate: MYBMW Z8
    Eisenmann Mufflers
    Dinan Performance Software

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    "It appears that BMW is no longer carrying these clips from what my dealer found"In the parts catalogue the top clips were always part of the seat back. Only the bottom clips are sold separately. A member of the Z8 club is already offering the top clips in 3D
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Quote Originally Posted by Z-acht View Post
    "It appears that BMW is no longer carrying these clips from what my dealer found"In the parts catalogue the top clips were always part of the seat back. Only the bottom clips are sold separately. A member of the Z8 club is already offering the top clips in 3D
    Can you please give me the connection information to the club member who has the 3D drawings for the top clip. I would like to make a few.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    Eisenmann Mufflers

Need 8 clips (and some spares)

It was reported here that the clips on the seat back are no longer manufactured. But is the entire rear seat assembly with the 6 clips able to be purchased?

Can someone post the part number and their dealer quotation for the part? Both of my seat backs need to be replaced if I am unable to 3D print replacement clips. I'd like to see what the worst case cost is going to be. I heard they are around $500 for seat back assembly.

All the clips on one of my seat back are broken off and missing. This is a photo of the other seat back. Two of the clips are broken. I am going to try to make copies from the two clips that still exist that are glued onto the seat back. It might be difficult to reproduce as they might break when trying to remove them from the seat back they are glued to. The 3rd clip has broken away from the seat back so that one can be 3D scanned to print a duplicate of that part.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    Eisenmann Mufflers

Quote Originally Posted by jmosk View Post
    It was reported here that the clips on the seat back are no longer manufactured. But is the entire rear seat assembly with the 6 clips able to be purchased?

Can someone post the part number and their dealer quotation for the part? Both of my seat backs need to be replaced if I am unable to 3D print replacement clips. I'd like to see what the worst case cost is going to be. I heard they are around $500 for seat back assembly.

All the clips on one of my seat back are broken off and missing. This is a photo of the other seat back. Two of the clips are broken. I am going to try to make copies from the two clips that still exist that are glued onto the seat back. It might be difficult to reproduce as they might break when trying to remove them from the seat back they are glued to. The 3rd clip has broken away from the seat back so that one can be 3D scanned to print a duplicate of that part.
    Jay - Here is one source that I have used in the past with great service and results: https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...er-52102280480
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Can you please give me the connection information to the club member who has the 3D drawings for the top clip. I would like to make a few.
    Hi Jay,

This member has a BMW dealership, so I think he only sells the clips

Autohaus C. & W. Melter GmbH
    D - 75015 Bretten

Tel: +49 (0) 7252 93 97-0
    Fax: +49 (0) 7252 93 97-26
    E-Mail: [email protected]
    www.bmw-melter.de
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Quote Originally Posted by Z-acht View Post
    Hi Jay,

This member has a BMW dealership, so I think he only sells the clips

Autohaus C. & W. Melter GmbH
    D - 75015 Bretten

Tel: +49 (0) 7252 93 97-0
    Fax: +49 (0) 7252 93 97-26
    E-Mail: [email protected]
    www.bmw-melter.de
    The one I posted is actually through BMW of Silver Spring Maryland. It was my understanding that the clips are not available separately, but if they are that most likely would be good news for many. Otherwise it is new seatbacks or maybe heavy duty Velcro strips.
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Locating clips

More on the clips: My local dealer indicated that the only clips that can be ordered are the bottom clips (number 9 in the seat diagram attached). List price $12.40. www.bmw-melter.de in Germany has the top clips for 88.66 Euros ($102.06 today) including taxes and shipping to the US. For some reason, the diagram does not show the existence of the side clips, one of which you can see in the photo I posted of the broken seat back.

The local dealer indicated that the complete seat back (item #10) is $987.80 each.

For now I will order the clips that I can and try it out for around $250 instead of $2000 for new seat backs. I'm not sure about the missing side clips. I'll see how well it fits with just the clips in the diagram rather than the 6 clips on the original part.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    Eisenmann Mufflers

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F283105180501

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/52107027224/
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

More on the clips: My local dealer indicated that the only clips that can be ordered are the bottom clips (number 9 in the seat diagram attached). List price $12.40. www.bmw-melter.de in Germany has the top clips for 88.66 Euros ($102.06 today) including taxes and shipping to the US. For some reason, the diagram does not show the existence of the side clips, one of which you can see in the photo I posted of the broken seat back. The local dealer indicated that the complete seat back (item #10) is $987.80 each. For now I will order the clips that I can and try it out for around $250 instead of $2000 for new seat backs. I'm not sure about the missing side clips. I'll see how well it fits with just the clips in the diagram rather than the 6 clips on the original part.
    Well, the adventure continues and it doesn't look good. When I ordered part 9 in the seat back diagram two posts above, I thought it would be the entire assembly consisting of the clip that snaps into a hole in the seat back as well as the piece that is glued to the seat back. It turns out that BMW only has the piece that fits into the slot on the piece glued to the seat back and not both pieces. The mating piece seems to only be part of the entire seat back. And I am missing the two bottom pieces.

So now that I have the clip, I have nothing to snap it into. So the top pieces that are on its way from Germany, are going to be pretty much useless unless the bottom piece exists. So I might be left with having to spend $2000 for two entire seat backs because plastic clips broke off from both seat backs.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    Eisenmann Mufflers

This might be a good temporary or permanent solution - https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-.../dp/B003CEXPSA. Just forget the broken clips and use this to attach the back panel to the back of the seat. Won't cost much to try...

Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

I highly recommend these velcros. They hold tight and don't get loose. Besides the backing adhesive is quite strong.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...94857497&rt=r3
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

So BMW has the seat back assembly for $987.80 each and with tax the pair comes to $2094.14. THEN you have to have it painted the color of your Z8. Oy.

GetBMWParts.com has it for $439.02 each, a little more reasonable. BMW Part number 52-10-2-280-480 PRIM meaning it is primed and ready to be painted. Of course I would be concerned that after painting it has the same level of shine of the original seat back.

I think the first step before purchasing new seat backs will be to try the Velcro solution (I believe it can hold 10 pounds) or better yet the 3M tape solution that can hold 25 pounds.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    Eisenmann Mufflers

The 3D printed top clip finally arrived from Germany. Took about a month in shipping. Waiting for the MAXBON 150 glue that has been recommended for gluing replacement parts to the seat back. As noted before, I cannot use the bottom clip part from BMW since they do not sell it with the mating piece that is glued to the seat back. But I have two good ones of the four that are across to two seats so I will try moving one over to the other seat and determine if a single bottom clip on both sides is enough to keep the seat back in place.

Here is a photo of the replacement part for the broken top clip. Only $150 with shipping for $0.05 of plastic and $149.95 of a 3D image file that I don't have.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    Eisenmann Mufflers

Mxbon 150

There is another detailed thread on the subject of fixing the seat back. In it, there was a recommendation to use this Mxbon 150 glue to attach new clips to the seat back. I didn't know how much would be needed so instead of buying the 4g bottle on Amazon for $10 I found a 50g bottle on eBay for $14. I think 0.1g is enough. Wow, this stuff is amazing. They say less is more and that you should spread a very thin layer of it onto the piece being glued. Instantly bonds. You have to align the clip and seat back before placing them together because you basically get one shot to press them together. This stuff is the strongest glue I have ever used. Press it down and a second later you could hang weights from the clip. Interestingly, the instructions state that if you want the bond to be 10x stronger, then you sprinkle Baking Soda around the entire perimeter of the piece and drip some glue into it all around. Some of the Baking Soda glue combo gets under the clips and solidifies as well as the baking soda around the piece become totally solid. Break the baking soda into a fine powder because if it has any lump in it, which it gets from moisture in the air, those will be solid lumps that aren't coming off as soon as the glue hits it.

I am going to keep the rest of this Mxbon 150 around in case my bumper ever falls off. Simply amazing stuff.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    Eisenmann Mufflers

The repaired seat back went right back on. Just a little wiggling around to align the bottom hole and bottom clip. The new clips held on with this nuclear level bond from the Mxbon 150 and 3D printed with a good grade plastic, has done the trick.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    Eisenmann Mufflers

Glad you got everything resolved. Perhaps we should consider a group purchase of a 3D scan of the clips and print off a bunch for future use.

The saga continues

After using the MXBON 150 super glue to bond the new parts back to the seat back, I now got to install both seat backs into the Z8. But they are not sitting flush against the seat as the original seat back. There is a small gap between the plastic seat back and the seat itself. I don't know why this is happening but it does not look good. I can actually see part of the top clip while looking at the side of the seat back. The top clips went into place in the top of the seat and the bottom two clips snap into a hole in the bottom of the seat properly. Yet the seat back is no longer flush against the seat. Any ideas on what might be done? The top clips which were 3D printed look exactly like the original clips. The dimensions were exactly the same as the original. But yet the small gap on both seat backs. I will post photos.

Don't know if the shape of the seat back itself changed from being out of the car for the two months it took to get the replacement parts and that is why there is now a gap. Rather not spent over $1,000 to buy two new seat backs to see if they fit any better. Sad.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    Eisenmann Mufflers

No idea why the seat back is not sitting flush. Are you sure you got the clips seated properly? I do, though, have a 3d scanner, solidworks, and a 3d printer and no desire to make 149.95 per clip. If anyone else is in need of clips let me know and I'll see what I can do.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

After using the MXBON 150 super glue to bond the new parts back to the seat back, I now got to install both seat backs into the Z8. But they are not sitting flush against the seat as the original seat back. There is a small gap between the plastic seat back and the seat itself. I don't know why this is happening but it does not look good. I can actually see part of the top clip while looking at the side of the seat back. The top clips went into place in the top of the seat and the bottom two clips snap into a hole in the bottom of the seat properly. Yet the seat back is no longer flush against the seat. Any ideas on what might be done? The top clips which were 3D printed look exactly like the original clips. The dimensions were exactly the same as the original. But yet the small gap on both seat backs. I will post photos.Don't know if the shape of the seat back itself changed from being out of the car for the two months it took to get the replacement parts and that is why there is now a gap. Rather not spent over $1,000 to buy two new seat backs to see if they fit any better. Sad.
    I would be very surprised if the shape of the seat back changed while out of the car. And even if the dimensions of the new clips were ever so slightly off, I can't imagine it would create so noticeable a gap. I am wondering if the clips are specific to the right side/left side and they were reversed when installed?

Just my opinion, but I believe this is another problem stemming from an attempt to make Pinocchio into a real boy—that is, to make a production car from the Z07 Concept. There are many, many hastily engineered bits and bobs in the Z8, some of them failure-prone to the point of lunacy. When it comes to trim clips, the philosophy is clearly, "It only has to work once—and for a very short time." In this case, it's a plastic clip system for the (heavy) seat structure: What could possibly go wrong? Or the top-down tonneau: Surely that will stay in place... at up to ten miles an hour. I think the next time my seats come apart, I will figure out a better system, probably something involving construction adhesive and industrial-strength Velcro.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMates View Post
    No idea why the seat back is not sitting flush. Are you sure you got the clips seated properly? I do, though, have a 3d scanner, SolidWorks, and a 3d printer and no desire to make 149.95 per clip. If anyone else is in need of clips let me know and I'll see what I can do.
    The clips do have a left and right orientation and they have been placed correctly. Given that you get once chance with MXBON 150 to put a clip in place (bonds nearly instantly), I made sure to place the clips exactly where the original ones were located. The seat back must be in the correct position because the top clip is definitely under the top of the seat and the bottom clips have snapped into the opening at the bottom of the seat. I checked the clip side by side against the original but broken clip and it appeared to be the same size and shape. So I don't know why this gap has formed between the seat and the plastic back. Maybe the next thing to try is some heavy duty Velcro which has been suggested before having to replace the entire seat back. But who wants to spend the money on an entire replacement part if that will end up doing exactly the same thing? This ordeal has been ongoing for a few months now since first looking for replacement clips and it is still not resolved. Sad.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    Eisenmann Mufflers

The clips do have a left and right orientation and they have been placed correctly. Given that you get once chance with MXBON 150 to put a clip in place (bonds nearly instantly), I made sure to place the clips exactly where the original ones were located. The seat back must be in the correct position because the top clip is definitely under the top of the seat and the bottom clips have snapped into the opening at the bottom of the seat. I checked the clip side by side against the original but broken clip and it appeared to be the same size and shape. So I don't know why this gap has formed between the seat and the plastic back. Maybe the next thing to try is some heavy duty Velcro which has been suggested before having to replace the entire seat back. But who wants to spend the money on an entire replacement part if that will end up doing exactly the same thing? This ordeal has been ongoing for a few months now since first looking for replacement clips and it is still not resolved. Sad.
    There must be an answer here somewhere! Was the gap present the from moment you did the installation? If not, could the clips be deforming, possibly made out of a different plastic not engineered for this application?

The space appeared as soon a each seat back was placed back in the car. I have order the heavy duty Velcro to see if that will close the space.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    Eisenmann Mufflers

The saga continues

The space appeared as soon as each seat back was placed back in the car. I have ordered the heavy duty Velcro to see if that will close the space.
    Well the attempt to use heavy duty Velcro did not work. The clips are not deformed and are in place but they are not holding the seat back tightly against the seat. The Velcro just does not do the job.

The concern now is if replacing the entire seat back with a new one is going to be any better. It did seem that the 3D printed clips were exactly the same size as the original ones. So I might spend a lot of money on a replacement seat back and find the same problem. But I might not have much of a choice. Maybe I will purchase one and see if it solves the problem of the gap between the seat and seat back (which does not look good). If it works I will purchase the 2nd one.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    Eisenmann Mufflers

I'd suggest adding some plastic shims to the inside of the clips. Using a sheet of 1/8 thick plastic, cut a clip sized shim and attach it to the inside of the clip tongue using the MXBON 150 then try it again, if it's still loose add another 1/8 thickness till it sits snug.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On
    Jay—Question. The photo of the seat back from Oct 2 shows 6 clips, from the top, the side and the back. The parts diagram on Oct 4 above shows only 4, top and bottom. Any reason they are different?I’d recommend a visit with an interior restorer guy. They can do things with clips and alignment that put us mere mortals to shame.

6 versus 4 clips

Quote Originally Posted by DLM View Post
    Jay—Question. The photo of the seat back from Oct 2 shows 6 clips, from the top, the side and the back. The parts diagram on Oct 4 above shows only 4, top and bottom. Any reason they are different?I’d recommend a visit with an interior restorer guy. They can do things with clips and alignment that put us mere mortals to shame.
    The original Z8 seat back had 6 clips. Two on top, two on bottom and two on the sides. When you look up the seat back in the Z8 parts diagram from BMW, it only shows 4 clips. No side clips are shown. And the clips that have been 3D printed are only the top clips. I only have 4 clips on each of the two seat backs now. Perhaps those missing side clips change the shape enough that it helps the seat back to lock in better than what is going on now. I am thinking it might be a total waste of money to purchase an entirely new seat back and run into the same issue I am having now. I like the suggestion of an interior restorer guy as I rather spend the funds with them and have a solution already (this is going on for ages) rather than running into the same problem with a replacement seat back.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    Eisenmann Mufflers

Finally Fixed

Thank you German Autoworks of Delray Beach, Florida, my primary service people for years. I should have just let them install the clips to begin with as I apparently had them placed a little off from the right position. Luckily they had a special wire saw that enabled them to remove the clips I had installed with MXBON 105 a real super glue that makes two pieces of plastic like one. They placed them in the right position and finally after nearly a year trying to repair this, everything is back to normal. This shop is excellent with all high-end cars. They recently got a 2nd Z8 at the shop and did a great job putting on a new soft top and installing that bar across the struts.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    Eisenmann Mufflers

Sport Button On
    And Bob's your uncle! Glad it worked