Thread: New Owner - Central Florida. Hello and advice/ referral please.

New Owner - Central Florida. Hello and advice/ referral please.

Good afternoon members.

I am taking delivery soon on a new (to me) 2000 Z8. The vehicle has relatively low mileage (under 20,000).

I know the vehicle hasn’t had the frame “fixed” or corrected, but it hasn’t demonstrated any issues either.

I was planning to take the vehicle to a trusted dealer immediately and I was hoping the members here could recommend a dealer practically anywhere in Florida whom you would trust your vehicle with.

I look forward to being a contributing member to this group, which is been very helpful in my decision to purchase this vehicle.

Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the Z8 family. Cheers from Downunder. PK

Sport Button On
    Welcome Z8 family. Naples BMW ,Germain ,works on about 25 Z8 during the season. They to wonderful young master mechanics who specializes on the older BMW,s. The so called competition package is a must on the Z8, just for piece of mind on the front strut towers. All myZ8 have had the the rotors and pads replaced. Use the Stillen drilled rotors and high performances street pads. Check dates on tires if more then 6 year old consider replacing. The forum is a great site to look up problems. My hats off to the founder Macfly and tke comments from Satch.

Depending on where you are in Florida, you may be close to Dirk de Groen, who heads up the BMW Classic Car Club of America. Fortunately, all Z cars are considered "classics," and Dirk is an excellent resource for just about anything you need; he is in international marathon rallyist (in a Mercedes Ponton) and his BMWs range from various 2002s to a Z8 Alpina. Oh, and then there's the 507 and the 328 roadster that have a room to themselves....

In any case, welcome to this online outfit! Some nice folks hang out here!

Welcome Craig! I have used Germain BMW in Naples for minor work on my E39 M5 (same drivetrain as the Z8) and can recommend them highly. That said, many areas have small local shops specializing in BMW's that can provide excellent service at substantially below dealer prices. If you can find a good one closer to home, that might also be a good way to go.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Hi Craig and welcome to the Z8 family.
    Ron, Original Canadian owner 2001 Z8

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness
    Welcome Craig. to many happy miles.
    2003 Z8 Black/Red

Welcome to the group Craig!
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Thank you all for the warm welcome and recommendations, which overwhelmingly recommend Germain BMW in Naples, Florida (about 4 hours from my home in Winter Park, Florida).

Once I get to know the community here, and the larger BMW community in Central Florida, I will hopefully identify a few trusted non-dealer advisors; until then, it appears that I will transport the car to Germain to have the competition package installed.

Thank you again for your welcome and well wishes. I will post photos in the very near future after taking delivery, and a very thorough detail of the vehicle.

Thank you,

Craig,The actual name of the option that you want installed to protect the strut towers is the Performance Package. I also suggest the you not use run flat tires as they tend to transmit more shock to the strut towers if a road hazard is encountered. I'm in Western PA so I can't help you with selecting a non-dealer mechanic. Welcome to Z8 ownership!! Philip Thackray

Thank you Philip.

Welcome to the forum and the gang!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Welcome to ownership of one of the coolest cars ever built! I have had mine for 5 years now and would never part with it!One note for dealers - my experience has been that most BMW dealers LOVE this car (you will get lots of attention from the service guys), and, as such, I have been able to negotiate a better price on every major repair. I had the 'Performance Package' installed when I purchased it, and, iirc, the dealer gave me the parts at 30-40% off. Anyway, just one of the benefits of the exclusive club that is Z8 ownership!Enjoy!Patrick

Hi from South Florida and welcome to the club. I use German Autoworks in Delray Beach to service my car. And what people are saying here is totally true. Even though the German Autoworks deal with plenty of high end cars, they still have a special place for the Z8 that is over and above all the other cars. Sometimes if the car is in for a repair, they ask if I can leave it a few extra days just to show it off to other customers that come in.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    License Plate: MYBMW Z8
    Eisenmann Mufflers
    Dinan Performance Software

Thank you all again for your hospitality and advice. I am writing with a quick update.

I spoke with my local dealership (Fields BMW - Winter Park / Orlando, Florida), as well as Germain BMW in Naples, Florida per recommendation from @pendrod and @boomster (above). All communication was via email after an initial introductory call.

I found that the adviser at Germain BMW (Mr. Christian Hoza) had the most familiarity with the vehicle, sought out advice from his colleagues, and was receptive to receiving numerous links to this forum regarding certain concerns and questions I had about the vehicle.

While I recognize that this is a limited production vehicle, that hasn't been offered for sale (new) in nearly 15 years, I was somewhat troubled by Fields BMW failure to know about the performance package modification, and/or that the package can still be purchased as individual pieces.

There were a few other niggling items from Fields' response that settled my decision to pursue a relationship with Mr. Hoza and the service team at Germain BMW.

Germain also offered to provide me with a loaner BMW that I can return to Orlando with (about 200 miles), while my car is in for service.

I just wanted to thank you all again and I look forward to being in a position to share/give advice, rather than being the beneficiary of your collective knowledge.

If you ever find your self in or near Orlando (or Naples), please do be in touch.Thanks,

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Hello Craig - I have been fairly pleased with the services received from Braman in Miami (Marcos Rodriguez, service advisor) for the past 11 years or so. They are also the one who installed the strut brace. As always, it does help to familiarize yourself with the Z8 specific issues which have all been beaten to death on this wonderful site, and keep in mind that all service advisors work on commission. Try to make it to the Lakeland FL car show on October 20th. I'll be there with the 328.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Another new owner

Ferris Bueller here - another new owner (2001 model) in Palm Beach, Florida.
    Shock towers are good, but I would like to install the performance package and replace the tires.
    Known problems when I bought it:
    1) bad rear view mirror.
    2) driveway rash on the front air dam (is this worth fixing, or live with the “patina”?)
    Any comments about Braman BMW in West Palm Beach, or any recommendations for local independent shops?
    Really enjoy this forum.

FB

Quote Originally Posted by FerrisBueller View Post
    Ferris Bueller here - another new owner (2001 model) in Palm Beach, Florida.
    Shock towers are good, but I would like to install the performance package and replace the tires.
    Known problems when I bought it:
    1) bad rear view mirror.
    2) driveway rash on the front air dam (is this worth fixing, or live with the “patina”?)
    Any comments about Braman BMW in West Palm Beach, or any recommendations for local independent shops?
    Really enjoy this forum.

FB

Welcome Ferris Bueller ! There are options on rebuilding the mirror on the site - there is a fix... http://www.bmwz8.us/forum/problems-s...ation-267.html I am getting my front rash fixed this fall for the second time along with some other re-paining due to rock chips etc. (Ceramic and Clearbra to be installed afterwards). If you will use your car to drive a lot you are (like I do) a rash is going to be likely to re-appear. However, not that crazy expensive to take care of. Hope you will drive a lot and enjoy your new wonderful car!
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Z8 Novice

PERFORMANCE PACKAGE...NEED vs WANT

I live in Sarasota, Florida and have enjoyed (I don't own a Z8, it owns me) an Alpina for going on one year. I use an independent BMW master mechanic (who worked on z8's often at a dealer in the Northeast) and a service advisor that used to work at our local BMW dealer whom both recommend I take the Z8 to Naples for any serious work. Lucky for me nothing serious has come up. The car doesn't have the performance package and there is no apparent damage however, should I install the performance package as a precaution? I was considering doing so and saving any original parts for when I'm dead and my wife wants space in the garage. Thoughts? P.S. my starter went South this weekend so I figured I could send it to Naples BMW and kill two birds with one stone.

Welcome aboard, Craig! The members of this board are fantastic and willing to assist with thoughts or advice regarding any anomalies you may encounter. Most of them are already noted in these postings. Fantastic resource!
    Thanks,
    Terry
    ALPINA #480/555
    Jet Black/Crema-Black

Thank you all again for your hospitality and introductions / referrals. I look forward to meeting you at a future event or perhaps even the “Florida drive” mentioned here earlier.

mjunco1054
    You (FerrisBueller) probably already corrected the rearview mirror, but the greatest concern with the mirror is the risk of a leak on the leather below. If not addressed quickly it can stain or damage the leather.Enjoy the car, they are amazing to drive and very reliable.
    Manuel Junco 2001 Z8 60373 (Silver/Black)2001 Z8 60430 (Silver/Red)1976 20022017 Porsche Carrera GTS1998 Porsche Carrera S

I just sent you a PM
    current stable:
    1972 BMW 3.0 CSL
    1988 BMW e30 M3
    2001 BMW Z8
    1991 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2005 Porsche 911 GT3
    2019 Porsche GT3 RS
    2014 Porsche 911 Targa
    2018 Mercedes e63 AMG Wagon
    2018 Jeep Wrangler

@JVMax - Thank you. I tried to reply to your private message, but I'm not sure it went through. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mjunco1054 View Post
    You (FerrisBueller) probably already corrected the rearview mirror, but the greatest concern with the mirror is the risk of a leak on the leather below. If not addressed quickly it can stain or damage the leather.Enjoy the car, they are amazing to drive and very reliable.

Ferris Bueller here.
    Thank you all for your advice and comments regarding the check list for my recently acquired 2001 Z8.
    It is now in the hands of Sammy at German Auto World in Delray, FL.
    Stay tuned.

Ferris

Z8 Novice
    Hey Z8ers I just took delivery of a 2000 black on black. Can't say enough good about this machine. I am in the Orlando area and likwise looking for a good mechanic. A little closer than Naples would be nice.