Thread: Hand Brake / Emergency Brake

Sport Button On

Hand Brake / Emergency Brake

Having a problem with my hand break not staying fully engaged. Pull it up and it slips down a few notches...feels like the teeth are a bit stripped or the cable is loose. Barely can keep the car in place on the slight incline of my driveway. Anyone else have this problem? Is this something I can adjust myself?

I had mine stop holding (well) in 2012 at 87K mikes. It was adjusted at the dealership at a cost $170 and has been fine ever since. I donít know what they actually adjusted so canít advice as to what it takes to correct.
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 110,000+ Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

This note is for all you do it yourselfers. I just recently got my car back from EAG, for a complete spa treatment. After twenty years there were numerous little blemishes that needed some tlc. The emergency brake handle was one of those issues. Mine had significant scratches of different degrees. I replaced it at a cost of $118. When I got my box of used parts back I tried to polish out the scratches with no success. I come to understand that the handbrake is just paint over metal. The paint layer is very thin. I sanded and removed all the old paint and after trying several different variations of silver found the one that is just perfect. I compared it to the oem replacement and you can not tell them apart. I was thinking of adding a clear matte finish to protect the paint. What do you all think? I do not believe the original had a clear coat. I'll post pictures the next time I take her out for a spin. I'd like to hear from others who have addressed similar issues.

How about ceramic coating? Do you think that might do the trick?
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 110,000+ Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

I think ceramic would give too much shine. Matte/flat clear coat should work?

Quote Originally Posted by mk31755 View Post
    This note is for all you do it yourselfers. I just recently got my car back from EAG, for a complete spa treatment. After twenty years there were numerous little blemishes that needed some tlc. The emergency brake handle was one of those issues. Mine had significant scratches of different degrees. I replaced it at a cost of $118. When I got my box of used parts back I tried to polish out the scratches with no success. I come to understand that the handbrake is just paint over metal. The paint layer is very thin. I sanded and removed all the old paint and after trying several different variations of silver found the one that is just perfect. I compared it to the oem replacement and you can not tell them apart. I was thinking of adding a clear matte finish to protect the paint. What do you all think? I do not believe the original had a clear coat. I'll post pictures the next time I take her out for a spin. I'd like to hear from others who have addressed similar issues.
    Can you share the specifics on which paint you found to be a match?