Thread: Experience using Dr Colorchip for road chips?

DSC Off

Experience using Dr Colorchip for road chips?

Anyone have success using Dr Colorchip to remove road chips on your car? The detailers in my area are really pitching this as really great cost effective solution...........https://www.drcolorchip.com

Not aware of it as yet, but looks like a great idea!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    Thanks...i just ordered it....Will let you know how it goesSandy

Looking forward to your evaluation. I have contemplated this as well.
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Topaz color match?

If anyone uses this system could you list your color and your sense of the color match?PhilTopaz-Crema

DSC Off
    great question...will gladly do that. So far...i ordered the product online..where you take the color code from the car. I bought two different colors for the Z8 (Titan Silver) and another BMW driver car (black sapphire metallic). I just had the driver car Ceramic coated and these folks say to do this as the final step...after waxing etc. They also say their system will not work on the factory original paint one buys from BMW...have to buy the OEM matched paint from them along with the "blending solution" and application kit. That is all i know for now at this point. The product should be here next week. I will try it on my daily driver car firs, and then will decide if i go forward on the Z8. I will post some pictures pre/post. Sandy

Iíve used Dr Colorchip on my Black Z8 with good results. The color match was perfect, and using their three step process of dabbing the paint near the chip, smearing the paint into the chip and then wiping away the excess was simple. If you know where to look, you can still find the chips after treating because it is difficult to fill the void.

I havenít tried this alternative approach to correcting rock chips myself described at about 5 minutes into the video, but here is something else to consider.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz-zW-cLdUs&feature=youtu.be
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

I have just done a complete ceramic pro coat and including stone chips touch up. The result is remarkable and would expect the original paint to last a long way. Here are couple of photos on the finishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Koh View Post
    I have just done a complete ceramic pro coat and including stone chips touch up. The result is remarkable and would expect the original paint to last a long way. Here are couple of photos on the finishing.
    Your car looks phenomenal. I had ceramic coating done on my other car and I could not be happier with that. Did you do the chip touch-up yourself or was it done by the detailer? If you did it yourself, can you share what process/product you used. I am planning to have the front bumper and the lower front spoiler re-painted due to chips (103K miles on mine), and as the hood has rock chips in it as well, I need to take care of those, but I am a little hesitant having it completely repainted and thus trying to research touch up options for the hood. Once I have resolved this and have the corrections done I am planning to have ceramic coating done as well and most likely will add a clear bra as well.
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Hi Musta, Thank you. I had only couple of small stone chips and the detailer for the ceramic coating did the touch up work. The ultimate protection would be using XPEL PPF film. Please see link: https://www.facebook.com/primefinish...5896556629410/ Hope this helps. Cheers

DSC Off
    Hi Peter...beautiful shine on your car. How happy are you with your road chip work done by your retailer? What product did they use?

DSC Off
    A quick update on Dr Colorchip. I first tried it on a BMW 335i which had a hair line scratch. Did not work to cover the scratch for me after 4 applications. I will not be doing this on the Z8. The scratch is still visible...have not given up yet...the paint does not seem to fill the hairline scratch area😔😔

Hi Greendsand, I am really happy with the outcome of both the ceramic pro coat and the stone chip touch up finish. I have provided the detailer the touch up kit set (base coat- match colour of Z8 and the clear coat) to do the work. The touch up process needs a steady hand using a tooth pick like plastic tool to build up series of interval layers. Should also work on hairline scratch, definitely patient is the key to successful outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Greensand121 View Post
    A quick update on Dr Colorchip. I first tried it on a BMW 335i which had a hair line scratch. Did not work to cover the scratch for me after 4 applications. I will not be doing this on the Z8. The scratch is still visible...have not given up yet...the paint does not seem to fill the hairline scratch area😔😔
    I had a similar problem when trying to remove the excess paint to the applied area. I used a rounded piece of plastic and wrapped the dr color chip supplied cloth around it. I then applied the excess paint removal solution to the cloth and gently removed the excess paint. That approach worked better than trying to removal the excess paint with the supplied cloth alone.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

DSC Off
    Hi Peter and Ed...thanks for sharing your success with Dr Colorchip and the process you used. Sounds like it can work if done differently than the instructions provide- dab and smear. Will try this.
    Sandy

... I am still trying to get up the nerve to attack the place on the hood where I seem to have polished through the clear coat in my attempt to fill a tiny chip. I got me an aerosol can o' Topaz acrylic and some clear coat; now I just have to find the Prep-Sol and work up my courage.