Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Thread: BAT Thread

That's hilarious, silly people!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

So $122,000 + the $5,000. Quite a few things to fix, but I think that was a good buy.
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Musta10000 View Post
    So $122,000 + the $5,000. Quite a few things to fix, but I think that was a good buy.
    Yeah, that's about $10k below what I expected it to go for. Quite a few scratches on it though and the hard top is bit of a mess.

One heck of a deal.

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    One heck of a deal.
    Here's a clean one with similar miles that I'm pretty sure can be had for around $135k. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-BMW-Z8...EAAOSwQSJdi6Ga

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness 2112's Avatar
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Very nice example, hopefully will do well after the prior disappointing BAT sale. Not wishing to throw shade on the auction I have not commented on BAT, but a number of Z8 accessories are not in evidence, such as windblocker and bag, Book, phone, leather key bag, and leather owners manual case. Hopefully they are extant and included with the car. Hardtop trolley seems to be not original, or at least different from mine.

Sport Button On
    It is car number 39 for the US. And it has had a lot of engine work to stop oil leaks, which I haven't noticed prior to this as an issue with these cars.

As a regular participant on the e39 M5 Board, I can say that leaking valve cover gaskets is a fairly common problem with the S62 motors. Also true with the M62 motor, which is the less powerful sibling of the S62.

I had my Valve Cover Gaskets replaced due to minor leak at 55,000 miles in 2008.
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Mine done too. Early VIN 60195 @ 15,000 miles

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    This is my worry, these auction sites will all hustle the market lower just to make their numbers and get their commissions. They don't really care what the cars sell for so long as they keep them rolling through the doors, and ultimately this is going to undermine values.
    You hit the nail on the head precisely.

Nice auction on this one sold today for $175,000 + the $5K.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-bmw-z8-6/
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Figures....free speech is dead. Reality is they beat up owners to get them to come in with super low reserves. BAT is helping to ruin the car market because their goal is not maximizing sale price for seller but churning sales for their own financial benefit. BAT is NOT good for the market IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Not a well-detailed car, but with just $7k miles that car sold cheap, as is typical for BAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8DinanS2 View Post
    Figures....free speech is dead. Reality is they beat up owners to get them to come in with super low reserves. BAT is helping to ruin the car market because their goal is not maximizing sale price for seller but churning sales for their own financial benefit. BAT is NOT good for the market IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Not a well-detailed car, but with just $7k miles that car sold cheap, as is typical for BAT.
    Interesting perspective... “They” are not forcing anyone to put a car on the site. The potential sellers do not have to put their cars on the site if BaT is insisting on a lower reserve than they are willing to accept. If the prices are “too low” it’s because the sellers are a accepting those prices - not because “someone” is forcing to sell the cars at the “too low” prices. While the sales prices may not be what we as Z8 owners and lovers would like to see, this is where the (free) market is.
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Interesting perspective... “They” are not forcing anyone to put a car on the site. The potential sellers do not have to put their cars on the site if BaT is insisting on a lower reserve than they are willing to accept. If the prices are “too low” it’s because the sellers are a accepting those prices - not because “someone” is forcing to sell the cars at the “too low” prices. While the sales prices may not be what we as Z8 owners and lovers would like to see, this is where the (free) market is.
    "this is where the (free) market is" I am not sure per se. Have you listed on BAT before? I have. They really do pressure you to come up with a low reserve of course with the idea that your auction will exceed that amount.

Plus, BAT is typically a week long auction. Imagine if someone said you had one week to sell your house. Would you think you'd get to dollar in one week?

As for the market, there is something interesting going on in that there are so many Z8 being offered for sale. Supply and demand is what sets the market. Seems there are many Z8 owners getting out of their cars, which begs the question, why? I've probably owned over 100 exotics over my life. Countless vintage and modern Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, TVR, V12 SLs, Porsches, Jaguars, Aston Martin, etc., and in my opinion, the Z8 is the best all around sports car. If I could only have one sports car that I had to drive regularly it would be the Z8. Far more rare than one of the gazillion 911s out there and far better looking. Better built, prettier and larger trunk than a modern era Aston Martin, readily serviceable and comparatively cheap to maintain compared to a Ferrari and far rarer than Ferrari in general and most models in particular. (Far fewer Z8, BMWs only truly sports car model since the M1, than there are Ferraris.) So why are so many owners getting out of their Z8? That's what I want to know. Like they are purchasing something better? Speculators who saw their cars purely as an an investment? I cannot afford a 250 SWB covered head lamp California Spider so until I can the Z8 is the next best thing.

DSC Off
    Many of the cars for sale were original or long term 2nd long term owner. Age of the owner is having a effect. Everyone who had a Z8 tended to keep it a long time. I have purchased 3 Z8 in the past sever years. First was a Alpina 2nd owner car that he purchased from a friend in 2004 till I purchased it in 2017. Bad back and age were the reason to sell. My second Z8 was a original owner with 6000 miles on it. Had been driven very little since 2009 due to the age of the owner. Purchased early 2018. The third car purchased September 2018 is my Topaz Z8 that I installed a Alpina suspension and wheels on it. This was a 2nd owner purchased from the original owner in 2007. Again sold because the owner went to a limited care facility. Owners love these cars but in my 3 Z8's ,Owner's age was the main reason to sell.

Wow. That's interesting! Talk about a vehicle life cycle. So we are in a lull in the mkt now as conceivably a large number of new purchasers of these cars 20 years ago were in their mid forties or so at the time and now are transitioning out due to age. Hadn't thought of that. Still, I want to follow in Paul Newman's footsteps and drive hard until the very end. Only way I am selling my Z8 is if someone offers real money for my car. I'll hold on to my Z8 as not only are manual gearbox sports cars a dying breed, but soon so too will be the pure petroleum powered car. The F8 Spider/Tributor may be the last pure gas mid-engine Ferrari so its unlikely BMW or anyone else will make a car like the Z8 ever again.

It's all cyclical. Even the most Coveted cars from Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche and Mercedes had lulls.

250 GTO's were just used race cars at one point. Even street cars like Daytonas and 512's have risen and fallen dramatically over the decades.

Very few car people do not recognize all incredible attributes of the Z8. If the value ends up not skyrocketing to stratospheric levels, I would not attribute that to any shortcomings of the car but rather the paradigm shift our culture as a whole is going thru.

all the more reason to consider ourselves lucky and enjoy the cars as intended.
    2000 Red over black

Z8 Novice
    I'm never selling. I'll give it to one of my sons.

2000 Red over black

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    Sold yesterday for $163,500

Beautiful car at a good price. Anyone we know?

Not that I know, but it looks beautiful!
    Andrew Macpherson

2000 Red over black

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Wow this will be interesting for me - this car is almost identically mine and in my 'hood. Not that I am selling mine but still. Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by screenap View Post
    Wow this will be interesting for me - this car is almost identically mine and in my 'hood. Not that I am selling mine but still. Thanks for posting!
    Not selling either. BTW, the Z8 is the only car I can pull into a McLaren Dealer, Ferrari Dealer and Aston Martin Dealer and have the sales people and their customers all stop in their tracks and say, "I love your car!"

In Beverly Hills where 458s and Aventadors are as common as Mustangs elsewhere, the Z8 has girls stopping to say "beautiful car" and "that's the James Bond car!" The Z8 will always be in my permanent collection as it is simply the best all around sports car ever made and one of the prettiest, in and out.

Z8 Novice
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-bmw-z8-18/ Sold for $130k. Seems about right.

DSC Off
    And second week of November, https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-bmw-z8-7/ is a black/black with 12K miles.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJQ View Post
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-bmw-z8-18/ Sold for $130k. Seems about right.
    Seems low to me - should have been around $150K. But then again, of course I want prices to be high!
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

It was a good deal....for the buyer. Hopefully he'll join us here.
    2000 Red over black

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    lack of PP likely has an impact - BMW does many measurements when they put one in and, although unlikely, a bad measurement means bad things... plus, as we all know, the taillights are the cost of a good used toyota! If the buyer sees this - a quick tip before you bring it home - I have found that CAD pricing is a bit cheaper than US pricing after the exchange, oddly enough. BMW store in Vancouver has a guy who is an expert on the Z8. PM me if you want more info.

Well the Black one did not sell at $142,000 (good that it did not), but now another one popped up with 12K miles. This one Silver/Black.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-bmw-z8-23/
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Ok - so the Silver/Black did not sell today with a high bid of $135,000. But wait! There is more - now a Topaz/Crema popped up:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-bmw-z8-19/ Beautiful photography, but the low light makes the car look darker than in full daylight. My favorite color combo though!

Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Z8 Novice
    Less than $200k will be a crime.

All of the pictures of this car on the BAT site are that darker color. Looks like blue mixed with black. That is unfortunate as Topaz is much prettier than that. It will be interesting to see what effect Topaz/crema has on the price – assuming that the buyer knows what Topaz really looks like.Phil

If is indeed a darker color, (not the photography) I like it very much.
    2000 Red over black

It is called "Topaz Blue Metallic" so it is not Topaz?

That's the official color name, but we all call it just Topaz. It's a gorgeous combo for sure, and it'll be fascinating to see what this one fetches.
    Andrew Macpherson

Andrew,OK, I'm confused. My car is "Topaz/Crema" and it doesn't look like these pictures. So you are saying that there is a different color officially called "Topaz Blue Metallic" (that looks like these pictures) but you all call it Topaz also? Or is the official name of my "Topaz" actually "Topaz Blue Metallic". From these pictures it seems like there are two different "Topaz" colors. Phil

It's just the filter-effect of the photography, it's Topaz, which if you look at your paint tag under the hood, is officially called Topaz Blue Metallic.

Here's a white point corrected version of the lead image, and below the paint tag name, usually just behind the shock tower dome on the passenger side.

Andrew Macpherson

Andrew.Thanks for the clarification and for showing the corrected paint version and the name tag. I should have looked under my hood! It will be interesting to see what this car sells for. Phil

Z8 Novice
    Ok - so the Silver/Black did not sell today with a high bid of $135,000. But wait! There is more - now a Topaz/Crema popped up:https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-bmw-z8-19/ Beautiful photography, but the low light makes the car look darker than in full daylight. My favorite color combo though!
    Sold for $189,000.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJQ View Post
    Sold for $189,000.
    +$5K premium so $194,000 in total. I hoped to see over $200K, but still a nice price for a nice car. Hope the buyer will not be disappointed when he sees the car as the pictures were not representative of the true color in my mind. Hopefully he knows what Topaz truly looks like in person (Fantastic in my opinion).
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

DSC Off
    Interesting. Purchased a topaz Z8 in September 2018. Price was 195 and done as a consignment through a Lambo dealer in Seattle. Top was in better shape and came with the competition package, Meisterschaft exhaust and the DuPont shield on the front of the car. Around 8000 dollars for the 3 items. This was a 2nd owner car for 12 years, all records. Car never saw rain. How does this work out for the seller. Car sold for 195, sales tax was applied to the new Lambo he had ordered. Sales tax was at 8%. Around 15,000 saved in tax. Total price was 210000 when tax saving is added. If I remember correctly Andrew had done the photos and was familiar with car. Added a Alpina suspension and other performance pieces to this car. Discussed in other threads. Price on the BAT auction was correct for what Topaz Z8's are selling for currently. Highly recommend using Andrew if you plan to purchase a Z8.

I’d agree. Color, miles... right price give or take 10k.

This week's car is in Titanium;

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-bmw-z8-20/

2000 Red over black

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2