Thread: Michelin Pilot Super Sports available in our sizes, and are absolutely the best tire, period.

Thumbs up Michelin Pilot Super Sports available in our sizes, and are absolutely the best tire, period.

These tires have been besting the competition in every track test, and now they are available for all of us, both stock and with either stock Alpina rims, or upgraded 20" rims. Hopefully soon we'll have the run flat versions the new 'Vette is getting.

20" Alpina/BMW Motorsport etc - Front - 255/35ZR20
    20" Alpina/BMW Motorsport etc - Rear - 295/30ZR20

Stock 18 - Front 245/45ZR18
    Stock 18 - Rear 285/35ZR18
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

That is what I have on my Porsche and I have already decided that I would put these on my Z8 as well. Great grip - wet and dry, quiet. It also came as number two after Pirelli P-Zero in Consumer Reports for High Performance tires (not that consumer reports really matter that much...) Just FYI.
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

I have them on my P-car too. Great on track and street... And man they wear well. I have about 10,000 street miles and 6 track days and they only look half done!

Z8Mania
    I have them on my Z8 (see tire ripples thread). I have them on several vehicles and IMHO, short of a cup tire, they really are the best street tire out there. The shocking thing is not just the improved grip but also the improved ride comfort. Strangely, the car I felt they made the smallest difference to is the Z8. I can't explain it, but thats how it is. On the 599 they made the most difference.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Doug Dolan's Avatar
    Stock rear tires aren't 285/35ZR18, they're 275/40ZR18 (which, unfortunately, don't seem to be an available size). So it looks like those of us with OEM 18" wheels are still out of luck.
    Doug Dolan
    61297 - Stratus / Crema

I took that into account when I was looking, but you can run a 285/35.
    Andrew Macpherson

They're also available for my Style 166 19" M5 wheels, but at a $400 premium over the Contis I got last summer, I don't love them.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    When you wear the Contis out- they will be waiting....... they are the best street tire I've found.

Z8Mania
    Ive had more driving on the MPSS and I can report they are a big improvement over the MPS2.

Specifically, they offer more initial grip and less understeer at highway speeds on sweepers and as the speeds go up the improvement gets larger. The ride comfort isn't a huge improvement on the Z8- but Ive felt a big improvement in other cars. The improvement in traction for hard launches is there too.

Overall, its a worthy improvement. I love these tires!

Mine were fitted today, and of course I'll report back once I have a chance to try them. However since I never exceeded the limits of the Pirelli's I'm not sure I'm fast enough to really notice the difference.
    Andrew Macpherson

I think you will notice quickly, and they should wear better?

Norcal's wear on his regularly tracked Cayman with PSS are dumbfounding.

Are you up to 5 days? Plus weekly street driving?
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Andrew, I think you don't have to be driving on the edge to feel the difference these tires make.

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    Norcal's wear on his regularly tracked Cayman with PSS are dumbfounding.

Are you up to 5 days? Plus weekly street driving?
    I put them on in march of 2012. I have about 10,000 street miles, and about 10 track days. And, they are not nearly used up at all!

After my first Sunday drive through the canyons with these tires I have to add to the chorus of approval, they really feel good, I'd give them an absolute two thumbs up.
    Andrew Macpherson

How well do the fit the fenders? Feel more grip? Better ride?

It's hard to say that the new tires are better than the Pirellis because I haven't driven the car in a month, but they are very, very good indeed. The ride and the grip are both excellent and the car feels really great on them. I'd suggest that they benefit from being a generation newer, and certainly all the tests I've read say they're the best tire. I feel confident in saying they feel better, but that could also be because they're fresh and the Pirellis were three years old.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Its all of everything you say-- but these really are awesome tires.

DSC Off
    What would you all recommend for Alpina rear tires: 285/30 ZR20 or 295/30 ZR20 ?? (Michelin Super Sports without question.) Using original Alpina rims.
    Thanks!!
    Tom
    Z8LVR

295 is what I'm running on 20s... Currently pirellis.

295/30 ZR20 no question, but make sure your camber is set to -2.5
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off
    Thanks guys. Original equipment calls for 285/30s, but i would think a little wider is better...

Tom

I'm sure either would be fine... The slight extra width will just look a little better, and grip just a little better.

bTW: I'm still suffering from front tire outside wear, as is Andrew. Need to find a way to get more negative camber in the front suspension! And this is just street driving! Note to self: call Dinan to see if they can or will engineer a solution!

I've raised my fronts to 39psi, and keeping my rears to 36. I hope this will help as the insides and outsides were wearing faster than the centers. I mentioned this in a thread a while back and Jerry said that it's common practice on some of the front engined F-cars to run 3-4 lbs higher pressures up front.
    Andrew Macpherson

Good idea, thanks.

Sea to Sky Express

Pilot SS for the 166 M5 wheels

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    They're also available for my Style 166 19" M5 wheels, but at a $400 premium over the Contis I got last summer, I don't love them.
    I have ordered a set of these wheels for my car. What are the right sizes for the Michelin Pilot SS to fit these wheels? Have you installed the Brembos on the car?

Z8Mania
    Correct. I have come to find that for whatever reason, and it could be psychological, I like to run 2-4psi more up front than in the rear, but it depends on the car and what the OEM asks for. Since the Z8 OEM (I think) is 35 all around, running as you are Andrew makes sense. Sometimes the new cars say to run like 35 front and 40 rear so to me I might make that 35->39 or so and maybe keep the rear at 40. My roads are bad and I think a little extra pressure doesn't hurt- a lot probably would.

LLZ8
    Tire Rack recommends Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3. Any comments? And what about Michelin PS2?

Larry

Larry
    2001/Silver/Red-Black

PSS.......... Done

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    PSS.......... Done
    I have a set in my garage waiting to replace the PS2s that are on there now. The PSSs were free, courtesy of Michelin who are now my favorite company in the whole wide world.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery-- Others --1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger motor/6-sp. manual)

My pirellis, which are about 5 or 6 years old, are now hard as rocks (heat cycled out). Time for some new PSS next spring!

You'll be very pleasantly surprised by the difference!
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On

now available in stock fitment

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolan View Post
    Stock rear tires aren't 285/35ZR18, they're 275/40ZR18 (which, unfortunately, don't seem to be an available size). So it looks like those of us with OEM 18" wheels are still out of luck.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...8&autoModClar=

That's great news, these are absolutely the tires to get.
    Andrew Macpherson