Thread: I totally lost faith in BMW

Sport Button On - DSC Off Juergen Wunderlich's Avatar

I totally lost faith in BMW

One year ago I purchased a brand-new BMW F 650 GS at an official BMW dealership. The piece of my desire was a special edition in the color ?Sonnengelb? (Sun-Yellow) and was not in stock at the dealership.
    So I had to place a factory order for that bike and took delivery a few weeks later at the dealership where it was ordered as the original owner.
    I do not drive the bike very often (about 500 mls a year) but I was shocked today while I took the bike into winter hibernation and took out the battery for that reason.

The airbox cover had to come off to get access to the battery and on the inside there is a sticker stating the original color ?Biarritzblau? (Biarritz-Blue). It was the first time I took parts off the bike. The whole part including the Biarritz-Blue sticker was repainted in ?Sun-Yellow?. I discovered the same on other parts on the bike which are supposed to be Sun-Yellow in the first place but are also repainted from Blue to Yellow! Unbelievable!!! They did not even take away the original color-stickers?

Best Regards,

Jürgen

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    But I wonder who did this repaint: the dealer who maybe had a Biarritz blue in stock or the factory?
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

That really is naughty! I would think it happened at the factory because the stickers look identical, so my guess us that they just pulled some blue parts, oversprayed them yellow and added the new color ID stickers.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

That's terrible! I assume that the registration lists yellow as the production color which would lead me to believe that the BMW factory is like Las Vegas; knowledge of what happens in the factory stays in the factory. In the past, they have acknowledged that body work or repainted body panels on autos any time before delivery still qualify as an original "undamaged" new auto. Even though I think this is fraud, I would also assume that this is standard procedure among all of the manufacturers. I bet our eyes would bulge if we tested all the new cars on the lot with paint thickness gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by KenZ8 View Post
    Even though I think this is fraud

I am thinking that too and besides applicable legal regulations this should not be the way a customer should be treated by a "Premium" manufacturer. I am totally disappointed and I am also looking forward to the response from the dealership and BMW because I confronted them both with this situation.
    Best Regards,

Jürgen

Jurgen,

Here ( http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html) you can download all the manufacturers information for your car/motorcycle.
    Ton

Quote Originally Posted by Z-acht View Post
    Jurgen,

Here ( http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html) you can download all the manufacturers information for your car/motorcycle.
    Thank you Ton!
    Best Regards,

Jürgen

This is inconceivable. One would think the factory at minimum would sand off the paint and repaint it and then only stick on one set of stickers. Perhaps they only re-painted that particular battery cover because they had an extra one in blue? Even still...ridiculously arrogant to just stick on a new sticker over the old one.
    Greg AH61930 - 2003 - Silver/Black

Z8Mania
    Didn't you used to work for/ have contact with BMW? Ordinarily I would suggest contacting BMW AG regarding this. I don't think this is how you should be treated by any manufacturer- premium or no.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    Didn't you used to work for/ have contact with BMW?
    No, I am not working for BMW, I never did! I am only a loyal BMW customer who purchased about 30 cars and 5 bikes from them over the last 32 years. With all the experience regarding the Z8 and now with this bike, I should probably say: ?I was a loyal BMW customer?!
    Best Regards,

Jürgen

Z8Mania
    I would reach out to them.

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Juergen Wunderlich View Post
    I am thinking that too and besides applicable legal regulations this should not be the way a customer should be treated by a "Premium" manufacturer. I am totally disappointed and I am also looking forward to the response from the dealership and BMW because I confronted them both with this situation.
    Hello Jurgen - curious if they responded. Best regards to you and Sylvi.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Quote Originally Posted by DirkZ8 View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

Hello Jurgen - curious if they responded. Best regards to you and Sylvi.
    Hi Dirk,

BMW offered to replace all the repainted parts, an extended warranty for my bike and a weekend in Berlin with a tour of the BMW Motorcycle Plant. I accepted the offer and I am looking forward to the weekend in Berlin!
    Best Regards,

Jürgen

Z8Mania
    Seems like they did the right thing here.

That is quite gesture to the customer!
    Ton

I can't wait to see the pix, and hear about the trip!
    Andrew Macpherson

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    That's wonderful news Jurgen. I am sure that it was the work of one idiot who painted the parts of your bike and that it was not a "company policy". Hopefully the way BMW dealt with it, will help in rebuilding your faith in this wonderful brand. Enjoy your weekend in Berlin. We were there last month on tour with the BMW vintage club. Very interesting city where so much stuff has happened the past 100 years or so.

Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

So, here is the end of the story! We were invited to the BMW motorcycle plant in Berlin but to be honest, it was disappointing! We had an almost 2 hour tour guidet by students from the local University but did see almost nothing. A few modern machines were manufacturing the crankshafts and we saw a lot of finished parts from e.g. Italy in racks (plastic parts, exhaust systems, seats etc.).

I finally got my painted parts after 3 months waiting and I was absolutely surprised. I thought that I had to wait because the parts had to be painted first but I was mistaken once again. The sticker on the parts showed a production date from 2011 and the reason for the delay was the new BMW distribution center for spare parts in Slubice, Poland. This new distribution center for BMW parts (also for the Z8!) is obviously cheaper to run in comparison to Dingolfing, Germany, and is operated by an independent corporation. The shareholders will appreciate this…

On top of this BMW could not remember the promised extended warranty for my bike…

My BMW bike is on the market now and I switched to something more "traditional"…

Best Regards,

Jürgen

Wow, now that's a great looking bike, and I hope that flying the flag will further inspire you & Sylvi to immigrate!! :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

BMW outsourced its parts distribution center from Germany to a third party in Poland... I hope it's a seamless transition for BMW's global customers.

Congratulations on the new ride!
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Very nice machine Jürgen!
    Ton

Z8Mania
    Very sorry to hear of the disappointment; but also congratulations on the new ride. Its really gorgeous. May it bring you miles and miles of smiles