Thread: Cars and Coffee: Blackhawk Car Museum 1 Sep 13

Cars and Coffee: Blackhawk Car Museum 1 Sep 13

I met Fred (FWK-Z8) in Monterey at the Legends of the Autobahn concours, and he called me earlier today to let me know that this Sunday, 1 September 2013, is Cars and Coffee at the Blackhawk Car Museum in Danville California from nominally 8 - 10 am. Fred said that most folks come after 8 am and stay until 1 pm.

One additional update, Fred called again to say that if we RSVP by Thursday night, he can arrange for the Z8ers to park next to each other by reserving spots in the parking lot. Fred works as a docent at the museum.
    Last edited by EDEZ8; August 28th 2013 at 00:58. Reason: Update from Fred
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Send us in some pix!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Wow! I wish I lived near by!! Have fun!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  121.0 KB

There's a nicely restored 507 at the Blackhawk museum too in my favorite color combination of black/red. .
    My Best,

Ed

I wish I could get there and urge anyone who can attend to do so. The tour that Fred hosted for us a few years ago was incredible.

Ditto that, Fred's an awesome docent, and tell him to get back on the board too! :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Been the last few months... Great gathering. If Fred doesn't reserve spots, you should be there well before 8. Last time I got there at 8 and was pretty far out on the distant fringe. I'll try to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Ditto that, Fred's an awesome docent, and tell him to get back on the board too! :-)
    I'll provide your feedback to Fred, who apparently hasn't formally logged into this forum since 2009! Anyone else from the SF Bay Area interested in joining the 3 black Z8s (Fred, Ed and maybe Ian) at this event? Please let me know by 5 pm today so I can call Fred for reserving the spots.

I'll bring my camera and improving photography skills to Danville for this Cars and Coffee social.
    My Best,

Ed

Z8Mania
    Try shooting with and without a circular polarizer. Youll have to figure out the lens diameter in mm- it usually will say it right on the lens. You should have a UV filter on it already so it would be the same size. When using the polarizer, make a note to spin the polarizer in the direction opposite the same direction it mounts on to the lens. If you spin it the opposite direction you risk loosening the polarizer and maybe having it come off when you are not ready for it. You will have to adjust your settings accordingly because in essence your lens is wearing polarized sun glasses. It can produce some really nice results, especially with shiny objects. Try different amounts of polarization, you can dial out all of the reflections, which is nice to literally see through windows, but on a black car it also makes it look pretty flat, so you can go part way. Just something to experiment with. Have fun on your drive.

Thanks Jerry for the feedback on the use of a light polarizing filter. I started to play with this filter when I took pictures at the recent Legends of the Autobahn concours, which are posted elsewhere. In my initial shots I found the filter to be effective in reducing unwanted glare coming off the painted surfaces of the cars in the mid-day sun. I also removed my sunglasses with polarized lenses when shooting with the light polarizing filter due to potential interference.

Stay tuned for more pictures!
    My Best,

Ed

It's funny I remember that 507 from 2008, it was in exactly the same spot then too, and it is without doubt the very worst imaginable location for a black car for photography!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Ed, yes, you really have to put your eye right up to the view finder. I'm excited for you and I am looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by EDEZ8 View Post
    I'll provide your feedback to Fred, who apparently hasn't formally logged into this forum since 2009! Anyone else from the SF Bay Area interested in joining the 3 black Z8s (Fred, Ed and maybe Ian) at this event? Please let me know by 5 pm today so I can call Fred for reserving the spots.

I'll bring my camera and improving photography skills to Danville for this Cars and Coffee social.

Count me in.

The CE

Updates

Fred reserved six spots for Z8s at this Sunday's C&C event. The list of owners include Fred, a fellow docent, John, me and maybe Ian. Anyone else from the SF Bay Area?

@Andrew, the picture I posted of the 507 was taken in 2008! Need to take another shot or two, maybe this weekend.
    My Best,

Ed

Ill try to make it... It is two miles away!

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Cars & Coffee

Would love to make your cars and coffee but the drive is a little far. We have ours the first Saturday of each month hosted by Classic BMW, Plano, Texas. Usually about 1,000 vehicles. Great event and what I really like you can come and go as you please. Think I'll take the Pacer this coming Saturday.

Pandaman

We still don't have any pictures of it Dennis!
    Andrew Macpherson

Pictures!

It was a beautiful morning in Danville with a great eclectic collection of cars. In addition to Fred and John, I also met a new Z8 owner Juergen who purchased a silver/black car three weeks ago. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to view the museum with preparations for wedding reception taking place today.

Special thanks to Fred for the invitation and for the stories he told about the cars on display.

Name:  C&C1.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  132.9 KB

Name:  C&C2.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  167.3 KB

Attachment 8105

Name:  C&C3a.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  78.0 KB

Name:  C&C4.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  171.1 KB

Name:  C&C8.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  177.8 KB

Name:  C&C10.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  174.1 KB

Name:  C&C11.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  105.7 KB

Name:  C&C13.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  149.0 KB
    My Best,

Ed

Z8Mania
    Gorgeous Ed! Gorgeous!!! Really beautiful cars and nice pictures! Thank you for sharing.

Looks like a great turnout, thanks for sharing the pics!
    Andrew Macpherson