Thread: Monterey 2013

Monterey 2013

The big news on Thursday was that for the first time in several years the Pebble Beach cars looped up to Laguna Seca for the Tour D'Elegance, so I headed up there with the camera to try and give you a taste of the interesting and broad variety of machinery that'll be on the lawn on Sunday.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

and best looking new car of the week so far is....

The 918 - in the flesh it is absolutely stunning, so much so all I could think was that the pix I've seen don't do it justice, and now seeing mine, neither do they! This car looks incredible in the flesh, but oddly enough it just doesn't photograph as exciting as it is to the naked eye.

Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off Doug Dolan's Avatar
    Those tour pix are fantastic! 918, however, is way too "busy" for my taste. Doesn't hold a candle to a Z8 for style or classic good looks.
    Doug Dolan
    61297 - Stratus / Crema

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    That grey 507 is just gorgeous. The white 507 is no slouch either!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Z8Mania
    The pictures are fantastic- thank you so much Andrew. I love looking at them. I think my favorite is the one of the Rolls at Laguna Seca, just because its a Roller on a track, and that looks like the Corkscrew no less. The one of the maroon Ferrari California with the heavy looking fellow almost looks like Piero Ferrari. I wonder if it was him.

The 918... I love the high up exhausts and the green calipers. Overall the styling is not my cup of tea either- their supercars (918, CGT) have a generic supercar look that while I appreciate, doesn't stir my soul much. What would stir my soul more than a battery and green calipers is a V10 with stick shift.... wait a minute... I'm sure it will drive great and I wish them much success with it.

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Awesome ! Thanks Andrew. Looking forward to seeing more of this the next few days.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Friday is The Quail

For today's photo essay instead of curating the cars I'm going to take you through the day, from 9am, an hour before the show opened, to 5 pm when cars were streaming off the field. There's a lot to look out for, like Steve McQueen's SS100, Roll's unveiling of another ugly limited edition variant of the Peterbilt truck styled lump of a car, and of course the new M4. This is by no means all that was there, but it give you a good idea.

Andrew Macpherson

Amazing cars!!! Wish I could be there - and you're right, the Rolls is hideous.

Thank you for the great pictures.
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Wow! Great old stuff! And I can't believe how many of the latest and greatest new launch cars! The Paganini looks amazing.

Legends of the Autobahn

I enjoyed my first Monterey car week event, Legends of the Autobahn, at the Rancho Ca?ada Golf Course. In addition to the great cars, it was nice to meet Fred and Jayson from the board as well as catch up with Carlos and Renate. Regrettably I missed Andrew and Christian. I'll need to do a better job planning to spend a few days next year!

Here are a few pictures from this event.

An artist painted the car by hand. Do I like the finished product? I'm still deciding...
    Name:  Legends-3.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  99.6 KB
    A closer look, notice the detail
    Name:  Legends-1-3.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  133.6 KB
    Name:  Legends-1.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  114.6 KB
    993 Speedster
    Name:  Legends-1-8.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  115.9 KB
    M1
    Name:  Legends-1-7.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  108.5 KB
    Jayson's Alpina
    Name:  Legends-1-6.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  109.3 KB
    993 (I love this color)
    Name:  Legends-1-5.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  124.7 KB
    991 50-Year Anniversary
    Name:  Legends-1-4.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  81.1 KB
    Judgement Day: Carlos' M6
    Name:  Legends-1-2.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  120.6 KB
    Fred's Car
    Name:  Legends-1-9.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  123.7 KB
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Ed, I can't believe you've never been before! Hope you are attending the vintage races today.

Beautiful cars, thank you for sharing! Is that your pup looking back at you in the last shot?
    My Best,

Ed

Z8Mania
    Nice Ed, thanks for posting the pictures. On the 911, I kind of like it, it has a bit of old school artist car vibe.

Z8Mania
    Great shots Andrew, thanks for sharing. I need to see more of the new M4 but from that shot I think the color does not do it any favors nor do I react positively to the bull dolphin nose front end. They need this for pedestrian protection/ aerodynamics but from this I'm not liking it...

Monterey 2012 (?) - The Quail

Andrew, it is 2013 already. Is the old 190 SL taking you back in time? Thank you so much for your support and friendship. We had a wonderful time with you and the pups.

Christian & Ulli

ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Nicely caught, I changed to the right year!! :-)

Coco and Star are having a ball, but they were very insulted not to be allowed to see the new i8.
    Andrew Macpherson

Saturday is the Historics

Just a quick look at the scene as we were in early and out early because we had to attend a secret launch of the i8 at Pebble Beach, more on that in the private section.

There were as always loads of incredibly gorgeous machines being used as they were designed, and it remains the absolute mecca of the weekend for me. It was a lovely surprise to bump in Michel & Sophie at the corkscrew, and also get to meet Manuel & Susan who shipped their Z8 in from Texas for the week.

Andrew Macpherson

That Aston Martin DBR2 (#102) is a car that is local to me in Seattle - they sometimes bring it out to our saturday exotic car thingy.

Z8Mania
    Wow! Stunning collection of cars and nice photos too!

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    very nice event !
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

By the way, those of you waiting for pix of the 507's from Pebble, its cold, foggy and grey this morning, and I have to be back in LA early as I have a shoot in Nashville tomorrow, so after being stuck in traffic on the peninsular for a hour yesterday I'm bailing and heading home. Christian is still going and will post pix later on.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    Thanks for all these pix from this and the other events Andrew. You have several of friends we met at the Aston Martin Owners Club events in their various Aston's!

Sport Button On - DSC Off Kevin's Avatar
    Personally I love the 918. And after seeing these pictures I love it even more! If it were my money I'd take it over the LaFerrari and the P1.
    2003 Z8 Silver/Black AH62031 (Sold)

I was a first timer in Monterey for the concours events, but I'll make my return in 2014! On the hand-painted Porsche shown above, it won the people's choice award.
    My Best,

Ed

507 at the Pebble Concours d'Elegance

For some reason I cannot upload the photos from my iPad. I will try again from a laptop or ask Andrew for help.

ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Lovely shots as always, Andrew.

New lens on the Pebble cars going up the grade? Seems wider than your trusty 24-70.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Gorgeous gorgeous! Thank you.

Yes, same lens as always - tried a little with the Sony, but it just isn't fast enough or flexible enough for subjects in motion.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Even the RX1?

Yes, it's a gorgeous camera for composing and crafting well thought out and constructed images, which I absolutely love doing, but that's also a far more a considered way of working. With cars in motion grabbing the right moment in the right way requires a far more sports-action kind of camera. The Sony is incredible at what it does, but when it comes to car stuff it's all about a big superfast SLR with a zoom.
    Andrew Macpherson

Ooooh, I like that gray 507!

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Some nice pictures of the 507's on Sportscar Digest and the BMW Classic Facebook page.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

I think the custom bodied one was one of Raymond Loewrys few false steps. you can see the genesis of the Avanti in the design though.
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Dinan low restriction carbon fiber airboxes
    Dinan high flow air mass meters
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    custom short shift linkage
    cdv modifacation
    Quaiffe differential/military grade gear polishing
    19 inch 3 piece HRE mags/Toyo tires
    Custom crossdrilled/slotted rotors
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    custom Sachs clutch /pressure plate
    Dinan pedal set

1938 BMW 327/8 Cabriolet at the Pebble Concours

Great car, strange interior!

ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

1958 BMW 507 Series II at Pebble

Beauty in Blue.

ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Z8Mania
    Gorgeous. Thank you for posting.

Z8Mania
    Thank you for posting this- its fantastic.

The Spirit of Pebble Beach's Concours d'Elegance

Here is one of my favorite Pebble photos where driver, passengers and onlookers alike capture the spirit of this event.

ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I am good friends with the owner of this blue 507. He keeps it in Santa Monica as part of his 80 plus car collection. He also owns two of the original M1 competition cars.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Z8Mania
    That is a fantastic photo. Thank you for sharing.

It's all about the pups!! :-)

Here's my girls enjoying the red carpet treatment by a certain 190SL at the Quail ;-)

Andrew Macpherson

Lovely pictures all. Truly an awe inspiring series of events, and the presentations bring it closer to reality than the typical Best in Show confetti shot articles. You have to be worn out trying to take it all in.

If the i8 is the electric car, we got the full presentation on it at the recent 8.8.13 event at Classic BMW in Dallas. I took a couple of pix. I will also post separately on a recent test drive of a Tesla Model S Performance 85. No pix, but If you get a chance I suggest you drive one. Like it or not, it is an interesting car. I was surprised how much I liked it and how easy it was to drive aggressively.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Z8Mania
    Very nice, I look forward to the pictures. I know several people with Model S and most like the vehicle very much. One cautionary tale- one person was left stranded because they thought they had enough juice to get home and it turns out they didn't. I would be very careful with the range on one of these vehicles. Aside from that I think they are very well done.

To bring us back to topic, I could look at these pictures all day. Thank you all.

Andrew, I agree for fast action there is nothing like a SLR. I also find that by keeping the shutter speed around 1/125 - 1/250 and panning the camera in the same horizontal plane as the action you can get a dramatic shot that enhances the sense of speed in the shot as the panning blurs the background of the image but the shutter speed keeps the car in focus.