Thread: Replacing a battery?

Replacing a battery?

I've got a problem with the actual replacement of the battery.

To the left of the battery is a long screw/nut that goes through a clamp piece and into the bottom of the trunk to anchor the battery down. This nut is turning for me, but not coming free of the floor.

Any idea how to proceed with getting this undone to put in the new battery and take advantage of the sun?

I'm up in Paso on a job, so can't check mine, but try holding the post with a molegrip and a piece of shammy leather so it stops spinning, or alternatively maybe try pulling the post up, as it may have a 'lock' on the bottom of the post.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I've been in touch with Rifle and Matt at Peter Pan. I think the nut in the floor of the car has broken off and is spinning uselessly as I turn the bolt.

According to Matt, this nut can be accessed from under the car, but now I need to get my car to a shop! I'll call my guy after the weekend to see if he can get the car out of my condo garage without a working battery (there's some slopes and low roofs involved....)

Z8Mania
    You should be able to jump start it or if you have one of those portable jump start battery kits (highly recommended to have around). Just know when you turn it off, it's not going to start again without a jump.

Jump starting the car was hard - Using the Lexus? Nope. Using the brand new battery? Nope. Using the jump pack from the towing company? Nope.

My indie dealer's jump pack got the car going, but that was after I had the car towed there!

My guy worked his magic and got old battery out and epoxied the errant nut back in place and got us back on the road again.

Z8Mania
    Did you use the convenience terminal in the engine bay or go direct to the battery? When my Z8's battery died, we could not get it to jump via the engine bay connection. We got it to turn over the very first time we tried it going direct.

PS- those jump packs are very handy to have around. These days cars have so many systems on them that being the donor car can be dangerous to its electronics.

The only one that worked was direct to the battery. I guess the engine bay terminals should only be used for the tender, and any time a jump is needed, go direct to the battery for best results

Z8Mania
    I suggest going direct to the battery for the tender also.

As you and I discussed Tom, that nut is a common problem. I spoke with J?rgen about it many years back. It has a knack of breaking free, and it's a real tough spot to access. Glad you got it sorted, but this is something that everyone should keep in mind when removing the battery.
    thegunguy

DSC Off
    I replaced my battery today and had a slightly different problem. The bolt in the hold down to the left of the battery broke off in the nut. Has anyone tried replacing the nut? I can see it from under the car but it just looks like it is pressed into place from the top? Havenít figured out what the part is called yet either.
    David

Here is an exploded view of the battery hold-down from Realoem http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_1383 Where did the bolt snap off? It appears the hold-down clamp screws into a nut mounted on the underside of the plastic battery box. Perhaps you could push the nut through from above and replace it?

DSC Off
    Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    Here is an exploded view of the battery hold-down from Realoem www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=EJ13-USA-01-2001-E52-BMW-Z8&diagId=61_1383 Where did the bolt snap off? It appears the hold-down clamp screws into a nut mounted on the underside of the plastic battery box. Perhaps you could push the nut through from above and replace it?
    Thanks. Its the 190 mm screw that broke, just about 1/4" above the nut. So yes, I was wonder if the nut is just a press fit, but haven't found it in the diagrams yet. Will have to pull the battery again to work in there anyway, so would be good to have the correct nut rather than pull the battery twice.

Now that I have the new battery, not as pretty as the old white BMW one, I have to decide whether to get the charger. I've read many of the messages on the subject so maybe I will. The thing holding me back is that a good friend just a couple miles away who collected mostly Corvettes and Kawasaki 1000's added one to a car, went for an evening stroll with his wife and came back to the whole barn/garage in flames. Lost about 8 cars and a number of bikes including some real beauties. 67 435 HP with 17K miles, 62 black/black fuelie from CA, like new, etc. So I guess I'll just watch it for the first day. :-) Anyway that was 15 years ago so chargers were less sophisticated. My other cars don't seem to go through batteries so haven't gone there before.

David

I have been using Deltran-brand Battery Tenders on cars and motorcycles for many years without issue. Particularly with the Z8, which is known for draining their batteries when sitting, I think they are very worthwhile.

Z8 Novice
    Here is a reliable, reasonably priced and easy to use battery tender option that works through the cigarette lighter.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G1100-Ad...tomotive&sr=1-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1