Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thread: New Boxster

New Boxster

While my other P-car is at the dealer, don't get me started, they put me in a 2013 Boxster. This is the first mid-engine car I've spent any considerable time driving, and my impressions are very favorable. Without the power of a Z8, you can race it around without too much interest from your fellow drivers or local law enforcement. As you would expect, the Boxster handles wonderfully on the twisty sections of the road and I've found myself taking the long way home from work to explore its capabilities in this type of environment. I was surprised to find steering directed headlights that turn on automatically, hill control brakes and fuel conserving engine start/stop functionality. Must be from the parts bin of parent company VW. Other than its rear visibility backing down our challenging driveway, Porsche has developed a car I would consider for purchase.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  115.8 KB
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Yup, sweet cars, those little mid engine Porsches. New cayman is coming any day now. BTW, you can shut off the the auto start-stop feature.

They always come out so well in every road test, they really do seem to be one of the best all round drivers cars out there.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I really like the new design. The spoiler that integrates in to the rear lights is well done.

Here's hoping for the GT3 version.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Yup, sweet cars, those little mid engine Porsches. New cayman is coming any day now. BTW, you can shut off the the auto start-stop feature.
    The service folks at the Porsche dealership had engaged the Sport button on the Boxster, which deactivates the fuel saving engine start/stop function. While driving on the streets of San Francisco, I decided to experience the Boxster in the normal driving mode. As I came to my first stoplight in rush hour traffic, the engine shuts down. I was thinking to myself "Really these guys put me in a defective car!". I depressed the clutch to try and restart the car, and the engine fires up before the clutch pedal hits the floor. At that point I realized, the car was equipped with the fuel saving engine start/stop that I've been reading about in car magazines. After a couple of days, I am now adjusted to this routine: warm engine, transmission in neutral, let out clutch, engine stop, depress clutch, engine start, engage first gear, go.
    My Best,

Ed

So you like it? Can deal, or hate it so far? I've never driven a car with that, but assume it would suck.

Once I got over the mental hurdle that the engine is suppose to stop (ie, I'm not 18 again driving in my TR4A) , the start/stop function is fine for me. If you want to race the car next to you at the stoplight, you just keep the clutch engaged and the engine continues to run. Taking it back to my favorite car company, BMW has also introduced this start/stop system on the 3 series.
    My Best,

Ed

I was given a ride in one of the new 3 series the other day, and it seemed kind of weird, but for sure it makes sense in congested cities. When it comes to that stuff I really want a Tesla electric for my next daily driver, and that way I'll keep my oil burning madness for playtime!
    Andrew Macpherson

I've always thought the Boxter was a great looking car. I had an extended drive in one a few years back and thought it was an exceptionally fun car -- BUT, BUT it's such a girlie car!!! Here in So. Cal., 99.9% of them are driven by women.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery-- Others --1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger motor/6-sp. manual)

What? A hairdressers car? Where have I heard that before? Screw it, drive what's fun.

What? A hairdressers car? Where have I heard that before? Screw it, drive what's fun.
    The new Boxster is a fun drive, and much like the updated VW Beetle, Porsche has given it a more angular/harder look. After driving the Boxter for a week, I'd consider one for purchase provided I have a Z8 in the stable to fulfill my need for 400 horses at the disposal of my right foot.
    My Best,

Ed

I'm now in the market for a daily driver as my dear old SL was destroyed in an accident on Sunday. She lasted ten years, and gave me great service, completing just a whisker over 60,000 miles before that idiot turned right in front of me, and destroyed both our cars.

Happily I'm ok, but now the search is on for a replacement daily driver for me and the pups. Since the SL saved my life it's high on the list as the replacement choice, but I'm also looking at Caymans, X6's and a few other things. However in this economy I want super low outlay and have no desire for a car payment, so that limits the field a bit. Suggestions gratefully received!
    Andrew Macpherson

Glad to read that you were not hurt in the accident! Reloading on a newer CPO SL would be on my list, with strong consideration for a CPO 3-series too. Both are sporty and the CPO gives you a little piece of mind while the first owner takes on the initially high depreciation rate if cost is a consideration. The new Cayman arrives in Bay Area showrooms tomorrow, and you might want to give one a test drive and also determine if there are any used 997s or Caymans that also strike your fancy.
    My Best,

Ed

Wow, that's terrible Andrew. It is a warzone out there. Glad you're ok. Used 4.0 M3? Tesla model S? A used 997 or cayman is great value, but less practical for hauling pups and friends.

The M3 isn't a bad idea, but it'd be so under used taking the pups to the park, and the Testa is payment I don't want to have in these days when everyone is a photographer and my craft is becoming valueless. Until the books get published trimming the sails very, very tight is the order of the day.
    Andrew Macpherson

1 series? Could be a nice run-around?

Nah, hate the design, looks like a Bavarian beer belly!!
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off
    Head straight for a 2 year-old 335. E90. Preferably CPO.
    Great car (and this coming from someone who has nothing but M's and Lambo).
    Excellent handling, excellent steering, great power. Decent room (four doors for yer pups).

It will run a long time (I have several friends with them).
    Won't lose too much several years down the road.
    Way better and more fun and better interior than new 3's. (sad)

Drop top, so you can cruise the beach too?

Boxster

I've read nothing but great reviews on the new Boxster. It looks much better too. I saw my first one on the road yesterday. I've had 911, 928, Turbo Cayenne, etc and this one looks like it might get on my "to buy" list. "S" version, of course! The spice of life.
    Stu
    StuM
    2013 M3 Lime Rock Edition coupe (sold)
    2011 Audi R8 V10 Spyder (sold)
    2011 6.2L Raptor
    2002 BMW Z8 (sold)
    1967 Corvette 427 roadster
    2013 Maser MC convt
    2014 BMW i8 (pending)

Sport Button On
    Hi Andrew, try an MB C Class estate with the 350 CDI diesel. Its a great runabout, goes like the clappers if you need to, has plenty of room for the dog, and it actually looks good in AMG garb. It also has a very effective stop/start system. Chris

I've owned 3 boxsters including one highly modded hot rod car. All were a blast, esp. the last one. If they would put the 3.8 gt3 motor in one, I would own one again. Very funand very practical for a small car.
    Not considered a "real" Pcar by many of the snobby 911 owners. I had a great experience with a big Porsche club drive that came to the coast a few years back. I went by a big group, flashed lights and waved to all but no response. I have to hope they were all highly engaged in the drive......
    The next day I again passed this same group, but I was driving the Stradale. Wow, what a difference, they were all over it waving and gawking. Sad commentary on the drivers imo, but thats life.
    New boxster is a blast.

Yes, I can't say I'm surprised! It looks like either a diesel X5 or another SL are the two front runners in my daily driver quest at the moment. Much as the Cayman temps, it really is too small for all my gear, even the SL is pushing it!
    Andrew Macpherson

Andrew, catching up with all the posts I only now read about your accident. So sorry. Glad you are ok! Have you considered getting a youngtimer? Now is a good time to look into R129s. Prices are hitting rock bottom for high mileage ones, which most of them are. Find a pampered, low mileage one and you might actually see an increase in value over the next few years if you treat and maintain it the way I know you would. There is even more room for your pups behind the front seats than in the R230, plus it feels serenely Mercedes.

I was lucky to find an end of series 2002 Silver Arrow edition with only 2,600 miles a couple of months ago. At the Techno Classica Show the other week I talked with the German R129 Club people. They told me Silver Arrow edition cars are quite popular in Europe, although some 1,500 were produced but only for the US. A low mileage one was listed for sale for three times what I spent for mine. Of course the asking price rarely equates to the selling price but at least it made me feel good.

And yes, I miss the Cayman for track days and spirited drives but not necessarily for commutes in dense city traffic.

ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

I've been looking at a few of the newer Silver Arrow SL550's. I didn't even know they made them until now, but what I'd really like is the limited edition 50 Anniversary SL which came in a lovely Pewter color, and being an 07 had the most attractive shape of all the modern SL's. (I'm not a fan of the newest EU Safety mandated Dodge truck style front ends)
    Andrew Macpherson

You are so right about the R231. Looks to me like it is chasing its own long nose when viewed from certain angles, although the new interiors are quite lovely. On the outside an inflated, albeit lighter weight R230. I'll see if I can find you an 07 Anniversary Edition in the Dallas area. Will call you tomorrow, don't know where my day went.
    ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

I've been on MB USA's website, their pre-owned CPO search tool is awesome! Haven't seen anything in TX, most everything is in the NE.
    Andrew Macpherson

The search is over, I found a stunning one owner SL55 AMG with just 40k on the clock, no accidents and all service records from the original selling dealer at a price I loved!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Very nice Andrew.

Ed, IMHO mid engine is the best setup for nimble handling. I think the new Boxter is a fantastic car all around. As for start stop- I just tell the dealer to stop the start stop and it can be turned off permanently. I find it annoying- like nails on a chalkboard.

SL55

Congrats Andrew. While I owned the SL65, I tested a number of 55's while I was shopping for a car. They're somewhat close in approach and the 55 exhaust really does sound a lot better. You'll love it. Have fun.
    Stu
    StuM
    2013 M3 Lime Rock Edition coupe (sold)
    2011 Audi R8 V10 Spyder (sold)
    2011 6.2L Raptor
    2002 BMW Z8 (sold)
    1967 Corvette 427 roadster
    2013 Maser MC convt
    2014 BMW i8 (pending)

Thank you!! I'm really looking forward to it, and by some odd dint of fate I realize I've actually now covered more mile in SL's than I have Z8's!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Very nice Andrew!

Nice grab Andrew.

I think the new Boxster is the best looking Porsche made and one of the best looking ever made

I own 4 911's but still plan to buy an Boxster S in a year or so as they show up on the used market.

I've driven one...nice car!

I drove the standard Boxster for a week, and part of the fun for me was pushing it without anyone knowing. The car definitely held its own against your garden variety commuter cars here in the SF Bay Area. Having said that I could feel my pulse rate increase and a smile forming on my face when I saw the turbo waiting for me at the dealership less the rattles that had it out of service.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  78.0 KB
    My Best,

Ed

Z8Mania
    Very very nice Ed.

Big fun!!! :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Hey Andrew - How about some pics of your new sled??

Both the new Boxsters and Caymans do look great, and they have to be taken seriously!

The SL55 came today and I'm totally blown away! I'd never driven one before, and had no idea is was such a different car to the regular SL. I've only done ten or so trafficy miles in it so far, but I can tell it's quite a different beast.

I may try to sneak a run up the Angeles Crest tomorrow to see how it drives, and enjoy the Kompresser at high altitudes too. If I do I'll pop off some pix :-) Overall I'm very happy I got the earlier body style of the R230 as it's called, it is so much more elegant to my eye than the newer blunt nosed ones.
    Andrew Macpherson

Thanks Jerry and Andrew!

Looking forward to the pictures of the SL55. It's a great looking car with performance to match. 500 hp?
    My Best,

Ed

Z8Mania
    Congratulations Andrew and Ed! Now lets get some pictures!

Tomorrow, got too caught up with work today. :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Sorry to hear about your accident. Lisa had her heart set on buying your SL when you upgraded - I guess she'll be taking the bus for a while.

Well, thanks to State Farm for their very generous buyout, the accident was actually worth the aggravation.

Of course I'm always keen to count the beans when it comes to my daily driver so I have more budget for toys, and in that regard the old SL did sterling service. I had it eight years, did 40,000 miles and lost $38 k, so the depreciation was almost a dollar a mile but the overall cost of ownership was under $100 a week!

Part of me was thinking I should have done the sensible thing and bought a plug in Prius hybrid for pottering around town in, but yesterday's drive through the hills for a doggy beach day convinced me not only that I'd done the right thing, but also that AMG is to be taken seriously! (I confess, I thought it was just for poseurs!) After eight years I can say the difference is startling, the AMG version is just incredible! Of course with my precious cargo on board I wasn't pushing it hard, but on the roads I know so well from so many Z8 drives and doggy beach day runs, I could really tell the difference. AMG have transformed the car way more than I was prepared for, it's an SL on some serious steroids, and it handles, really, really well!

Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Thats wonderful Andrew- and you've never looked better!

A classic! Well done Andrew.
    Happy motoring,
    Christian
    ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

A beauty! Love the lines. Love the wheels. Only 500 hp?

The depreciation on your last car was under $5000 per year. That's what you will get with a $35-45,000 car anyhow. I'd say you did well.

Sweet ride! Now you have two powerful, good looking roadsters!

Sport Button On - DSC Off Doug Dolan's Avatar
    Very nice! Wheels look almost Alpina (classic) except they have 2 extra spokes (22 vs 20 for Alpinas).
    Doug Dolan
    61297 - Stratus / Crema

Z8Mania
    Did you know the SL has two batteries?

Yes, after eight years of ownership, you get to know them pretty well :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    That car has redundancies on top of redundancies!

I have to say, it has made me into quite a fan of MB, and now of course AMG :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    I had a different experience.

That sounds like opening to a story!
    Andrew Macpherson

Yes, Jerry, do tell!

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    I had a different experience.
    Yes, me too. I had always admired MB cars and last spring got an itch for a CLK 63 Black Series. The more I read about them the more excited I got. When I finally found the one I was looking for, the test drive turned out to be a major disappointment. Clunky transmission and although powerful, the car felt large and vague.
    On the way home I stopped at a dealer and drove the '12 C63AMG. Test drive was pretty urban and involved a certain amount of guess work, but the car seemed great, wonderful interior, great sound, great stereo and lots of power and tq.
    I found a flat black special edition car in Florida and shipped it to Cali. While being a very cool car and my kids and some friends loved it, once again the car felt heavy(because it is) and detached. I sold it after just 1 month, shortest ownership ever!
    I think they would be great hiway, commuter type cars but not so much fun in the mountains. Just my opinion.

Z8Mania
    John's experience more closely mirrors mine. I also had numerous electrical system issues. In many ways a great car but it just wasn't for me.

Funny, I always thought the clk 63 could be a great car to get. Thanks for the reality check. I can now check that off my list with no regrets!

I test drove something Mercedes and convertible last year at Auberge du Soleil in the Napa valley - they had a small number available for drives. I was not impressed with it on the Pope Valley highway. In Sport mode it was too sporty for a comfortable run and without, it was very soft.

There's too many cheap buttons, and it felt very plasticy compared to a BMW of a similar type.

This wasn't an AMG, and I'm not the worlds best driver, but for everyday use, this was a disappointment.

What did they give you to drive, Tom? Sounds like they stuck you in a Hyundai.

As for Riverflyer's C63 experience I am on the same page with him. When I saw the flat black C63 AMG Edition 1 on my dealer's floor I just had to have it and gave up my yellow Cayman S. Everybody loved that C63, it had the performance package added and looked like business.

So I take it out to the track one weekend. Impressive acceleration on the straights to compensate for awkward weight distribution around the corners. 3 or 4 laps and the thing switches to limp mode. I had not even dialed in the more aggressive sport setting. Funny feeling to see the Miatas flying by that I had passed just a moment ago! According to message boards this is an inherent problem with the C63. Not enough room in the engine compartment to keep the motor cool. Mercedes has a fix for it. Well, I don't buy something that is advertised as great track car and then needs a fix to actually do the track thing. The fix means running the engine at higher temperatures than the factory settings recommend and delaying the limp mode. Not very reassuring. I sold the car back to the dealer a few months ago just in time before the C63 507 edition hits the market which will have some 20 horses more than the C63 with performance package plus the black series hood with two gigantic air intakes to vent the engine compartment. That should fix the problem, but too late for me. I think that Porsche builds the best off the shelf daily driver / track car combo there is, be it the Cayman S or the GT3 I had the opportunity to drive recently.

CLK 63 convertible - bad idea. I test drove a one year old used one and the body flex was downright scary. Too much power for that chassis in my opinion. The CLK 55 Coupe I had a while back was much more solid.
    ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

They loaned us an E500 - I paid to rent the Hyundai from the airport (actually a better car than the Mercedes for what it is and the price!)

Coming up the hill from the Pope Valley garage, I noticed a temperature reading in the middle of the dials that was getting high. I have no idea what that was about (who reads the manual?) so I slowed down a lot.

Funny, I always thought the clk 63 could be a great car to get. Thanks for the reality check. I can now check that off my list with no regrets!
    I know, I was bummed because they look and sound so cool. Issue with the tranny is it comes from 2005 and in automotive advances, that is a long long time ago!

Makes our beloved Z8 even that much more amazing

I guess I never had any real expectations of anything but a solid comfy car from any of my SL's. This is my third, I had a 560 before the Z8, and while a very nice car, it drove like a big sedan, which is actually exactly how my old SL drove, but this new one is acutally quite a lot more athletic. Still it's a big, heavy Hollywood housewife's car, but it makes for a jolly nice daily driver and around town run around.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    I think you have to differentiate between MBZ of a few years ago like my old SL55- I think it was a first model year car- and the CLK AMG and the new C63 AMG especially the black edition. MB has really stepped it up in recent years but prior models were a hit or miss affair. The key thing is Andrew is thrilled with the car he has. It sure looks fantastic.

I have to say in so far as current models go, AMG has it all over M. I think M has really lost the plot and now they basically have reversed positions from about 10 years ago : M is just a go faster badge and AMG is more about a fun exclusive driving experience.

The hand built nature of AMG is what I'm quite suprised by, I didn't realize I have a little plaque with the name of the guy who built my engine top and center under the hood. I'm a big fan of companies that take pride in their products, and I'd say that AMG shows it's pride more than M.

Oddly enough the Z8 was a product of great pride for BMW and that is what alway made it so attractive to me. Their pride was really shown in the book, the DE, and assigning Bill Stuart to look after us as an owner group. To my way of thinking the Z8 is still the pinnacle of pride exhibited by BMW, they haven't made anything as special or desirable since our cars.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    I agree with you Andrew- but its only on the motor and its a bit of a marketing gimmick since it would take them about the same time if they had other people working on it. It does make it personal though. It just used to be that AMG was about stuffing a big motor in a chassis that was basically the standard car's but just tweaked. And you could get AMG this that and the other thing on any model. Now you can still get a GL63 AMG, but it seems they have taken much greater care in how their cars handle- the new E63 AMG 4Matic is getting rave reviews. The whole package comes across as more engaging- whereas cars like the M5 seem more cold and calculating and all the M badges can be had on a base model 1 series. I think they have really devalued the M brand- theres not much special about it these days. They need to move away from that. I actually think they are beginning to do that- we will have to come back in 10 years time. But for now with a few exceptions, I think what MB (and even Audi) are doing is more exciting. Its just the natural cycle of things.

Theres a reason the Z8 is holding its value and also a reason why the E39 M5 hasn't depreciated too much.

My biggest complaint with AMG is the lack of a manual, and just too much weight overall.

Z8Mania
    I can agree with that. While this doesn't change those issues on the AMG side- have a look at what BMW is doing lately- their latest M cars weigh as much or even more than their Mercedes counterparts, and they are often not available with stick shift anymore either....

It's a sad day for those of us who appreciate a light nimble car with a stick! I pray Porsche continues to offer one at least. I still wish Ferrari would make a new "Dino" or similar with a stick.

Z8Mania
    Indeed it is- thats precisely why I jumped on that F430 with the stick shift. That particular car is a 2009- the last model year of the F430 and it was specced out just as I would have done it and it only had 2000 miles on it when I got it a little over a year ago. I now have about 4700 miles on it

For what youre getting at how about one of the Lotus cars? Those are really great momentum cars. Or even a Mazda Miata. There are still choices but they are becoming fewer and fewer. Another thought- the new Toyota and Subaru twins- they are getting very good reviews and you really can't beat them for the price.

I keep coming back to the new Cayman as the car that hits the sweet spot of being from an established high line brand, looks good, isnt full of techno overkill, has a real manual thats sweet to drive.

Yes, the hallowed M has lost its way, for me since the e39 M5 and the Z8. I always reallly liked BMW and have had some great cars, incl dinan S2 M3, but you guys are correct, they are now heavy, tech burdened and bloated. Its funny, I drove my wife's older Accord yesterday and its a great, zippy and fun car. 5spd manual, 4 cyl with lots of torque. The car is light, agile and feels like it will run for ever. Its simple and effecient......both great mechanical attributes.

I will say MB cars are generally better looking than BMW now. Andrew, I bet they do make a great commute as well. We don't really have much traffic up here and my driving is 90% of the time about driving so our objectives are different. When I do get down to the Bay Area and if I happen to be driving a louder, lower and stiffer car, I watch longingly as the big Benzes cruise by, insulated and comfortable !!

It's a sad day for those of us who appreciate a light nimble car with a stick! I pray Porsche continues to offer one at least. I still wish Ferrari would make a new "Dino" or similar with a stick.
    I understand that the hallowed GT3, in the 991 variant, is also no longer offering a manual. The new Caymen is a nice looking car. I have not driven it yet, but have the Boxster and it was engaging and dynamic, as usual. Too bad they don't offer the Caymen with the X51 engine package, or such.
    A Pcar friend said that the 2011 and I think '12 GTS with manual and no PASM is an awesome car.

The biggest problem with the miata, lotus, and Toyota/Subaru twins, is not enough power, cheap feeling cars, and the motors are dull as a minivan. Porsche is THE ONLY way to go... Beautiful, light, sweet engines, high quality, have racing heritage, and can be bespoke. The perfect car in my book. Anyone have a better idea? Lambo? But they are going techno too.

Z8Mania
    Yes thats true.

The reason the Cayman doesnt have the big power and the reason the GT3 and Ferrari and AMG and BMW M have (mostly) abandoned the manual is primarily because their customers demand it. If they cannot hit those absurdly fast 0-60 times (which are not possible with a stick), top speeds, head line power numbers, then they won't sell. So no bucks, no Buck Rogers. Because the Cayman market segment still demands a manual and the car needs to have less power than the headline 911, they can give you the manual. The more power they use, the beefier mechanicals they need. Thats more weight- its a spiral. Lotus doesnt even make a LSD standard- because it hurts turn in crispness and with the modest power they have, its really not necessary. Individually we have to find the right balance of attributes that appeals to us. But if I am Porsche, or Ferrari for that matter, I know what I am doing when I move away from the stick shift. Also manual control of the transmission with that much power could mean big warranty costs or worse, it could mean people getting seriously hurt in surprising ways (not just speeding), and that could invite unwanted legal action. As sports cars become more super cars- the GT3 is really more of a super car- as is the turbo- as is the 458 Ferrari- they are losing some of the low speed fun because they have to manage the high power, high speed attributes. Thats why the Cayman is so refreshing. I agree there is room in the Ferrari lineup for a modern day Dino. Small, cute, 2 seats, stick shift, modest power.

In the mean time we can enjoy our Z8s- and other cars that add to the fun! I think the SL is a great stable mate to the Z8- both roadsters but so different. I think the prior car did its job for Andrew and Im sure this one will too!

I do look forward to trying a Cayman, I really like the new look too, but would want to get some great feedback on it from track day regulars first. That said I think my track days are mostly behind me, I had a great decade of them, but now I'd rather do Carmel Valley in the Z8 and have a delicious dinner with friends than do that sweaty drive back to town after doing two hundred miles on track! All right, I'll admit it, I'm getting older, and I'm enjoying going slower!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last