Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Thread: Sony RX1

Z8Mania
    Just make sure you avoid potholes!

I've lived with the same orchid since moving into my house sixteen years ago. It came into my life as a house warming gift and every year the it blooms in more amazing way. The RX1 inspired me to record it's beauty.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

What's your secret? I've talked with several orchid "experts", but I can't seem to keep one for more than 18 months.

Proof that a bespoke lens/sensor combo = wow!
    thegunguy

I had a real double wow this week. I got the chance to work with the Arri Alexa, pretty much the very best digital camera on the planet and I got to direct the simply stunning Julianna Hough in a Fight Against Breast Cancer spot. Both she and the Arri are insanely wonderful to work with.

Here's my day at the office captured by the RX1.

Andrew Macpherson

Stunning! And the cameras not bad either

Z8Mania
    Beautiful! And I support healthy breasts!

This is a really lovely little vid made with the RX1.

http://vimeo.com/63042888
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Wow thats really impressive. Its quite a machine you have there Andrew!

All the fun of the fair!

As you know from my previous post about Robbie's olive oil, I ended up at the Mid State Fair in Paso last week, and of course the only reason to go was to see what the Sony would make of it.

Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Andrew these are simply outstanding shots! Did you shoot full manual or some kind of automated mode? These are clearly a step beyond anything the RX100 can do and the RX100 is a pretty sweet little piece of kit. I think of it as a "pocket rocket".

For most of these I set the camera to manual, 160 @ f2.8 and put the ISO on Auto, then adjusted the exposure with the + or - compensation accordingly. Worked pretty well I thought, it's a clever little camera!
    Andrew Macpherson

The exposure range is incredible. Brights are not washed out and shadows are as clear as can be. Did you have to do a lot of "tweaking" after exposure? I can almost hear the carnival music when viewing these. Well done!

There's very little tweaking to these. Thats the real secret of any great camera, it can nail pretty much what you want without having to spend ages in Photoshop.
    Andrew Macpherson

True. The digital flow is now: shoot, look, adjust EV, shoot, shoot, shoot. I hardly ever touch RAW anymore (only for really special shots that I want do a lot of tinkering on).

All the FF NEX rumors have my tingling.
    thegunguy

What would you say is the biggest factor in capturing the warmth and clarity of the scenes? Optics, sensor, internal processing, or did Sony just get the right mix of other manufacturer's products?

That's a hard call because within these electric cameras there are so many factors and functions.

Sony makes the best chips (my Nikon D800 has a Sony chip inside) and the Zeiss 35mm f2 lens is one of the very best optics out there right now, so those two factors are already in its favor, then there's the electronics. Sony was the pioneer of HDTV cameras in the early nineties, and they bought Minolta who were one of the best early makers of digital stills camera, so they have a lot of inside knowledge. They've also said they no longer are happy being #3, they want to be #1. By volume that's Canon spot, but for sure they'll get swept aside pretty soon. They only half way decent camera in their line up is the 5D. Canon also relied on the snap camera market that the new wave of camera-phones have decimated far more than Sony and Nikon, both who've really been focusing on their pro and high end gear while Canon flailed around trying to reinvent the amateur camera. Their EOS M and G1X are total duds, and everything else they make is prosumer cheap at best. Even Fuji now makes more desirable cameras than Canon IMHO.

So, a long winded answer, but as Sony wants to be #1, the DX1 was a very well thought out calling card that most all the serious photographers I know now have, and love. It's already a cult camera in a way I haven't seen since the days of the Contax T2. If Sony follow it up with something this good in their pro line next year, which is what the word is, I know a lot of us are going to be looking at it very, very seriously.

The upcoming NEX FF is also very intriguing for those who want a single do it all system, but for me, I'll always need a flagship SLR system for work, and something simple for play. The Nikon may trump the RX1 on speed and file size, but as a take everywhere do anything camera the RX1 is such an incredible joy to use. It's like my beloved old Minolta CLE, only better, as a single unit it really is unbeatable.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Very very nice photos. I think the RX1 and the RX100 (baby brother) are a very clear statement of Sony's intentions and I'd say that at this moment in time you could say they are right on plan.

great shots!

excellent dynamic range - it basically has the same sensor as the highly rated Nikon D600 - so you can think of the RX1 as a D600 with a prime lens that will actually fit in your pocket!

btw, i was recently using the D600 (w/ same sensor) to shoot some high contrast landscapes in bright sunshine, ranging from deep shade to sun glinting off bright white icy glaciers. out of force of habit i bracketed my exposures, thinking i may need to combine shots with tone mapping to preserve the whole tonal range. turns out the bracketed images weren't needed - the base exposed image in all cases captured the entire tonal range!

Thanks for posting Andrew! Beyond the technical aspects of the shots, I admire how you're able to tell a story and elicit a feeling of "being there" in your pictures.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

I've been very pleased with Sony's JPG profile, which is part of the total system story Andrew is speaking to. Part of what we're seeing is that the lenses and sensors are finally being built in unison. The contrast and range of out of camera images these days are just crazy.

It will be interesting to see the sensor that Sony has planned for the FF NEX. I'm sure it will make its way into other bodies quickly.
    thegunguy

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2